Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can any pianist suggest some arpeggio pieces for me please?

lovenara

i'm a self-taught one ,i know some easy pieces and

harder stuff like fantasie impromptu ( which is very hard to play for me so i need to fill the gap )

i'm looking to practise some intermediate arpeggio pieces

please suggest some like Bach,Beethoven's that i can download for free

thnx

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am looking for some transcription or pieces that have left hand arpeggios like Kenny Werner and Bill Evans sometimes use in their dramatic rhapsody type solo jazz piano improvisations.

Some typical upward arpeggios:

1 5 10

1 5 9

1 5 9 10

1 5 10 14 (10 5)

1 7 10

1 5 7

1 3 7

1 3 5 7

1 3 5 7 9 (7 5 3)

If you have the time (and I mean, plenty of it), look into Chopin's Op. 10 No. 1 etude in C major, which is designed specifically to improve eveness and accuracy in arpeggios-or better yet, for an easier one, try his Op. 25 No. 12 etude in C minor, nicknamed the "Ocean Etude". Both of these pieces, as well as hundreds of others, can be downloaded and printed for free at sheetmusicarchive.net

A severely diabolical suggestion, if you want to improve your left hand arpeggios, is to check out the Godowsky transcriptions of the two Chopin etudes I mentioned. But then again, most people AREN'T insane that way.

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

You could also incorporate practicing arpeggios into your warm up routine. When I practice arpeggios I always make it a point to practice what I actually use in playing.

I rarely arpeggiate simple triads so I never practice them. Try, just for the heck of it, to arpeggiate minor 7th chords (in all keys). Also, take a look at augmented chords with a major 7th (C, E, G#, B) and minor chords with a major 7th (C,Eb,G,B) ... all keys, all positions, similar and contrary motion. After you're finishing playing them in all positions, you should be pretty warmed up.

I mention all of this just to get you to create your own exercises in addition to finding music with arpeggios. (I'm approaching this more from a jazz/improving side than a 'classical' side).

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by istyle@hotmail.com:

i'm a self-taught one ,i know some easy pieces and

harder stuff like fantasie impromptu ( which is very hard to play for me so i need to fill the gap )

i'm looking to practise some intermediate arpeggio pieces

please suggest some like Bach,Beethoven's that i can download for free

thnx

If you want arpeggios that fit within an octave (and under the hand easily) most Beethoven sonatas will provide lots of examples. A nice one is the second movement from Op57 - not too hard but repays nice even and rythmically accurate work.

For hand stretching arpeggios look no further than Chopin. I don't believe a fair amount of Chopin is playable unless you can reach tenths.

Archived