Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif rack or ?

Philip OKeefe

Well, I mixed a track the other day by a fairly successful writer / artist / producer... and he did a fair chunk of the keyboards on a Yamaha Motif. Since my keyboard (and module) collection is fairly dated (okay, all old stuff - ESI-32, U-220, Proteus/1, R8-M, Proformance, Nanosynth, ESQ-1, D4, various softsynths / Gigastudio), and I was pretty darn impressed with the sound of the Motif (dang but Yamaha makes some COOL gear! :wave:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're not doing live stuff I'd say stick to softsynths. It won't get old as quickly. In fact, it might improve since computers just gets faster. And in that area I would highly suggest Spectrasonics Atmosphere...well...for rock, I dunno. It depends I guess. I think it's just great for everything, and invaluable for scoring.

Another plus would be the digital hookup. Since I know you're computer based, and now that you're abandoning us poor AW users, :cry: don't add anymore stuff that'll need additional analog inputs to the mixer. Easier to track with when it's all software.

BTW, how much better is the reverb and comps on the 01V96 compared to the AW? (sorry, OT)

Raul

For me, I'm arriving late to the soft synth world but at this point I am hard pressed to spend money on any digital synth/rompler/sampler. I'll be going through a try out period starting with FM7 to replace my FS1Rs(I'm not big on the pre-canned formant sequencer stuff) and then the soft Wavestation to see if I can get rid of(not selling - just removing from service) the WS A/D. One of my concerns is having immediate access to play them when the moment hits as opposed to starting up the software each time, reconfiguring midi ports, audio etc. Although I've never been into romplers, I cant see why this couldnt easily move into a computer. Maybe "real" controllers with more than the most basic MIDI functions will make their way back into the market at some point. At this point it's still up in the air whether I'll be happy working this way. I've got FM7 on its way so we'll see.

Since you're running a real business Phil, experimenting may be more costly then the Motif rack. If you're into latest/greatest I might be thinking Motif Rack ES at summer NAMM - or not :confused:

I'm sorry, but as much as I love soft synths (from the stuff in Reason to SampleTank), modules like the MOTIF rack and others are simply great. Though everybody's moving towards softsynths/players for good reason (HIGH quality sounds, for instance), the hardware options not only sound good but are also way more convenient than their software counterparts (not to mention not needing to fire up the comp to work). Plus, personally, I haven't been blown away by their selection of sounds, though the sounds I like are top notch and super clean. That's not always what you want.

The MOTIF has great strength its EPs, drums, bass, guitars...heck, in a lot of areas. It's not my favorite "ROMpler" (in a way I hate that term), but I'd still add it to the collection. I know at one point the MOTIF Rack had problems with MIDI timing, though that should be fixed by now. The key thing is how easy it is for you to navigate around. Yammie doesn't seem to have a grasp on user interfaces.

Hardware is going nowhere, if only in my book. Software sits great alongside it, though, giving you a diverse palette to work off of.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Since you have GigaStudio, and most likely a good piano for it, and then pick up LoungeLizard and B4 if you do not already own them. That will give you top instruments in an area where ROMpler seem weak.

At that point you can decide what you want most from your ROMpler. I am enjoying my ES even more now that I took the cards out of my DX200 and AN200 and placed them in the Motif. It really improved the sound of those cards. If you happen to have an AN200 or DX200 around and find that you don't use them, then get a Motif and move those cards. You will have a great all around rack unit.

But don't ignore the Roland, Korg and Kurzweil units. You can pick up a Roland XV-5080 at close out pricing right now and it is still a great unit. The Fantom XR is due out in March and will be stiff competition for anything in a rack. I have actually used my Karma more since getting my Motif. Strange, but now my Karma has more of an identity. It is a ROMpler pretending to be a VA and the expansion ROM's I have in it reflect that identity. I keep hoping Korg will cut the price of the Triton Racks, but so far I have not seen this. However, 100 million professional musicians seem to have a Triton Rack, so they must be worth checking out. Same can be said for the K2600R.

But for value, Motif R and XV-5080 or Fantom XR seems to offer more than the Korg or Kurzweil.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

if i recall correctly, there was a big article with testing done about Motif Rack poor MIDI timing in Sound On Sound . it was one of the fall 2003 issues. Just thought it might be useful for you to check this information..

They claimed it had an unacceptable delay even with thinner midi data stream. Also, that yamaha did an os upgrade recently, but with questionable results.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

The SOS review is the only one I've read that says the midi timing problem in the Motif-R hasn't been properly fixed. No one else seems to have complained about it, which makes me wonder if it wasn't some outside factor contributing to the slop and not the Motif itself...

Archived