Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So, how does one order Logic Pro?

Dan South

So, how do I get a copy of Logic Pro, and do I get a credit for the $$ that I've sunk into plug-ins thus far? Does it include the Space Designer that just cost me about five-hundred bucks?

:confused:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The upgrade to Logic Pro will be available in about 3 weeks and can be purchased at your local Emagic dealer.

The upgrade for anyone with Logic 5 or 6, Gold or Platinum, is $199.

If you have Gold or Plat 4 or 3, or Logic Audio (Big Box), the upgrade to Logic Pro is $699.

The 2 Logic products... Logic Pro and Logic Express will be available in 2 weeks, for $999 and $299 respectively.

Logic Pro includes all on the Emagic instruments (EXS24, EVP88, ES1, ES2, EVOC20, EVD6, EVB3, ES M, ES E, ES P) as well as Space Designer, and ESB and PTHD extension (for use with Digidesign TDM hardware).

Originally posted by steadyb:

Logic Pro includes all on the Emagic instruments (EXS24, EVP88, ES1, ES2, EVOC20, EVD6, EVB3, ES M, ES E, ES P) as well as Space Designer, and ESB and PTHD extension (for use with Digidesign TDM hardware).

Okay, so, should I send Space Designer (still in box, not opened yet due to a shipping mix up) back to Sweetwater for a refund? And then buy the Pro upgrade instead? I'm kinda getting screwed if I buy both.

I've got ES2, EXS24, and EVP88. I'm not really interested in the clav or the vocoder, although I've considered giving the B3 a spin (no pun intended). Getting them all is great, but I'll never use the clav in a million years.

And now I have, unopened, the $pace designer.

Originally posted by Dan South:

I'm not really interested in the clav... I'll never use the clav in a million years.

One thing about the EVD6 Dan...it is capable of doing much more than clav sounds. I does awesome guitar and harp...plucked string sounds, etc.

"The EVD6...it's not just for Superstition anymore." :idea::cool::thu:

Originally posted by Dan South:

I've got ES2, EXS24, and EVP88. I'm not really interested in the clav or the vocoder, although I've considered giving the B3 a spin (no pun intended). Getting them all is great, but I'll never use the clav in a million years.

And now I have, unopened, the $pace designer.

Hey, I bought the ES2 about a week before NAMM- who knew?? I violated my personal rule about not buying gear 6 weeks before NAMM, but there are people out there who have bought many, if not all of the plugins and now you get them ALL for $199.

What did you pay for Space Designer, something over $400? Now that you can get it with all the other plugins for $199, I would be on the phone to Sweetwater so fast that it would make their heads spin! Even if you don't use any of the other plugins, you have still saved over $200 for Space Designer alone.

-Marshall

My Logic upgrade experience so far:

I bought the 6.3.1 upgrade three weeks ago, but I'm coming from 4.8 and they didn't have Logic 5 with the XSkey. I called the store this week, why it was taking so long and then the question came: Isn't it wiser to upgrade to Logic Pro?

Damn, this is setting me back 300 euros again. OTOH, after this the package will be complete and Gold is gone. I think I will send an "affirmative".

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

So without trying to piss anyone off here, does this apply to PC versions of Logic (5.5)?

Maybe this was mis-interpreted - maybe I should try again.

Assuming I buy an Apple, Can I upgrade to Logic Pro (for the Mac) from Windows platinum version 5.5 for $199?

Originally posted by Markyboard:

So without trying to piss anyone off here, does this apply to PC versions of Logic (5.5)?

Maybe this was mis-interpreted - maybe I should try again.

Assuming I buy an Apple, Can I upgrade to Logic Pro (for the Mac) from Windows platinum version 5.5 for $199?

I believe you will have to cross-grade to Logic Mac first.

Speaking as a Logic 4 Platinum user, it kind of sucks to have to pay the same upgrade price as a Logic 3 Gold user would. However, I can't complain too much - I'd still be getting thousands of dollars worth of software for hundreds of dollars.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Speaking as a Logic 4 Platinum user, it kind of sucks to have to pay the same upgrade price as a Logic 3 Gold user would.

C'mon Geoff...

So if you were charged $699 it would make you feel better to know a Logic 3 user was paying $899?

Both upgrades are a great deal. For some they are an even better deal.

Even for the guy who has every plug-in except Space Designer (or any two of the other instruments) it's still a good deal.

The idea here was to keep it simple and make it attractive for as many people as possible to move up to Logic Pro.

2 products (Pro and Express) and 2 Upgrades ($199 & $699)

I don't see how begrudging someone else's great deal takes anything away from you. (I mean you in the broad sense, not you specifically Geoff)

So if you were charged $699 it would make you feel better to know a Logic 3 user was paying $899
Actually, I had more in mind that there would be some option in between the $199 and $699 prices for someone like me.

Of those being offered special upgrade pricing, only Logic 4 Platinum users are being penalized for having failed to upgrade before this new deal was offered. (Note: I am presuming a past upgrade price of $199 for each upgrade.)

Logic 6 Platinum to Logic Pro: $199.

(This is the deal to which I am comparing the other deals below. However, this cost is offset for Logic 6 Gold users, as they prevented the additional cost of a Gold to Platinum upgrade.)

Logic 5 Platinum to Logic Pro: $199. Amount saved: $199.

(Logic 5 Platinum users are rewarded, compared to Logic 6 Platinum users, for having failed to spend $199 to upgrade to Logic 6 Platinum before buying Logic Pro. Logic 5 Gold users save even more, as they prevented the additional cost of a Gold to Platinum upgrade.)

Logic 4 Platinum to Logic Pro: $699. Extra cost: $102 - $301.

(Logic 4 Platinum users are penalized $301 for having failed to spend $199 to upgrade to Logic 5 Platinum before buying Logic Pro. At the very least, Logic 4 Platinum users are penalized $102 for having failed to spend $199 to upgrade to Logic 5 Platinum and then another $199 to upgrade to Logic 6 Platinum before buying Logic Pro. These costs are offset for Logic 4 Gold users, as they prevented the additional cost of a Gold to Platinum upgrade.)

Logic 3 Platinum to Logic Pro: $699. Amount saved: $97.

(Logic 3 Platinum users are rewarded, compared to Logic 6 Platinum users, for having failed to upgrade in three stages to Logic 6 Platinum before buying Logic Pro. Logic 3 Gold users save even more, as they prevented the additional cost of a Gold to Platinum upgrade.)

I don't see how begrudging someone else's great deal takes anything away from you.
I don't begrudge anyone else a deal. As I said above, it just "kind of sucks" to be in the only group that was relatively penalized for having failed to upgrade.

However, while I went to the trouble of illustrating the above to make a point, this is most definitely not what I wanted to emphasize in my first post. The following is the most important point to me: I want to stress again as I did above that "I can't complain too much - I'd still be getting thousands of dollars worth of software for hundreds of dollars." I opened with the "kind of sucks" complaint to vent, but I finished with the recognition that it was still a good deal because that's what I wanted to leave people with. I also understand Apple's desire to keep things simple.

And of course, I'd be getting a much better deal than Logic Platinum users who already purchased other products now bundled with Logic Pro, so my complaint is really a small one, on which too much attention has been focused.

Besides, I thought you were a die hard DP user
(Digital) Performer has been my main program at times, and Logic was my main program for a time as well. Currently, I'm only using Pro Tools; but I also have an uninstalled copy of Cubase SX 2 at the ready. In other words, I like to have a choice of tools at my disposal.

I've followed that pattern for a decade now. (I've been a registered Performer user since 1991 and a registered Logic Audio, Cubase, Studio Vision, and Pro Tools user since 1994.) They've all been great programs.

Best,

Geoff

Sweetwater agreed to take the unopened Space Designer back. Woo hoo! I love those guys!!!

:thu:

Logic Pro upgrade supposedly ships in about a month, although Apple claims that it will ship sooner.

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Logic 6 Platinum to Logic Pro: $199.

(This is the deal to which I am comparing the other deals below. However, this cost is offset for Logic 6 Gold users, as they prevented the additional cost of a Gold to Platinum upgrade.)

Logic 5 Platinum to Logic Pro: $199. Amount saved: $199.

(Logic 5 Platinum users are rewarded, compared to Logic 6 Platinum users, for having failed to spend $199 to upgrade to Logic 6 Platinum before buying Logic Pro. Logic 5 Gold users save even more, as they prevented the additional cost of a Gold to Platinum upgrade.)

Logic 4 Platinum to Logic Pro: $699. Extra cost: $102 - $301.

(Logic 4 Platinum users are penalized $301 for having failed to spend $199 to upgrade to Logic 5 Platinum before buying Logic Pro. At the very least, Logic 4 Platinum users are penalized $102 for having failed to spend $199 to upgrade to Logic 5 Platinum and then another $199 to upgrade to Logic 6 Platinum before buying Logic Pro. These costs are offset for Logic 4 Gold users, as they prevented the additional cost of a Gold to Platinum upgrade.)

Logic 3 Platinum to Logic Pro: $699. Amount saved: $97.

(Logic 3 Platinum users are rewarded, compared to Logic 6 Platinum users, for having failed to upgrade in three stages to Logic 6 Platinum before buying Logic Pro. Logic 3 Gold users save even more, as they prevented the additional cost of a Gold to Platinum upgrade.)

I know you mentioned the plug ins in another part of your post, but the above examples suggest that the upgrade gets you Logic 6 and that's it.

A Logic 4 user upgrading to Logic Pro 6, not only gets Logic Platinum 6 but also EXS24MkII, EVP88, ES1, ES2, EVOC20, EVD6, EVB3, ES M, ES E, ES P... as well as Space Designer, and ESB and PTHD extension (for use with Digidesign TDM hardware)...all in total worth an additional $2000+

I'd say that offsets the claimed $102-$301 extra cost by just a little.

Originally posted by steadyb:

A Logic 4 user upgrading to Logic Pro 6, not only gets Logic Platinum 6 but also EXS24MkII, EVP88, ES1, ES2, EVOC20, EVD6, EVB3, ES M, ES E, ES P... as well as Space Designer, and ESB and PTHD extension (for use with Digidesign TDM hardware)...all in total worth an additional $2000+

I'd say that offsets the claimed $102-$301 extra cost by just a little.

Agreed! :thu:

..and because that's the main point I wanted to emphasize, I'll state it yet again:

I can't complain too much - I'd still be getting thousands of dollars worth of software for hundreds of dollars.

We had a minor point of contention that stole the focus because it was a point of contention. We agree on the most important point. :)

Best,

Geoff

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Can someone point me to the upgrade ording info at the Apple site, I can't seem to find.

Thanks

Busch

It's not on the Apple site. You can pre order it from your local Emagic/Apple dealer (Sam Ash, GC, Sweetwater, AudioMIDI, etc.) and you'll get it as soon as they ship (about 2 weeks).

That'll be sooner than waiting for it to show up on the Apple site.

Archived