Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played the Bose L1 speakers today

petros

I went to G.C. and played my Yamaha P120 digital piano through the Bose L1 for over almost three hours. I also A/B compared it to a Mackie SRM 450s, JBL EON15 & JBL EON10.

I liked the Bose L1. It's ideal for amplifying acoustic instruments. The L1 has greater clarity, is smoother and sounds much more natural than the Mackies or JBLs, which sound downright unpleasant because they beam so much harsh sounding signal pressure directly at you, like a trumpet. With the vertical design of the Bose L1 your ears only seem to get hit with one or two little drivers no matter how close you are. I tried the L1 without the sub woofer and it was to thin, so it does need the bass subwoofer to give it body. The L1 also sounded decent with just half the pole set up (it comes in two 3 1/2 foot pieces and is very easy to set up and break down, i did it several times). I like the way the "poles" fit into easy carrying bags.

I am disappointed it cannot accept Left and Right stereo input signals without phase problems, because my Yamaha P120 does not have anything but Left and Right stereo piano samples (no mono samples). The Yamaha stereo piano samples also have phase problems when "summed".

I think the powered floor stand is bulkier and heavier than I would like. I wish they would come out with a smaller version of this product for less money, for us "acoustic live" players and make it able to accept stereo plug ins whithout pahes problems resulting.

http://www.bose.com/images/musicians/products/p_l1single_s_b.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you say just half the pole setup, I guess you mean just one unit in mono with the sub?

How much is a pair of those with sub anyway??

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I am disapointed it cannot accept a L/R stereo signal and do a proper job of summing it to mono without phase problems, because my Yamaha P120 cannot send a proper mono sum out either. Will a direct box do a proper stereo to mono sum or do I need to carry a mixer to plug my stereo Yamaha digital piano into the Bose PAS to make it sund right?

Originally posted by petros:

I am disapointed it cannot accept a L/R stereo signal and do a proper job of summing it to mono without phase problems, because my Yamaha P120 cannot send a proper mono sum out either. Will a direct box do a proper stereo to mono sum or do I need to carry a mixer to plug my stereo Yamaha digital piano into the Bose PAS to make it sund right?

Petros, are you 100% sure that you can not send a combined L/R signal? If you were to take just the R output and use that, would that not include the L output as well. Have you checked the owner's manual on this. Every piece of equipment I own has a L/R output summed. If nothing is plugged into the L output, the L output is automatically summed to the R. This is called normalling and exists on everything I own with the possible exception of my mixer (which is probably how it should be).

Perhaps someone else can add something here.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I have revised my initial review, I added this:

I am disappointed it cannot accept Left and Right stereo input signals without phase problems, because my Yamaha P120 does not have anything but Left and Right stereo piano samples (no mono samples). The Yamaha stereo piano samples also have phase problems when "summed".

Archived