Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Appreciating the ones you own

Magpel

I think that's also the reason a lot of perfectly good synths get put aside. Sound, I mean. When I talk to musicians, especially those who subsist on live gigs, or consider why I have upgraded my own gear, I usually hear that they liked the piano/organ/Rhodes/Moog-type sounds in the new model better. Of course, then there's a lot of depth and functionality in the older synth that never gets used. Part of the original appeal of ROMplers was that you could get D50, DX7, and analog type sounds, AND a realistic sampled piano, marcato strings, etc. This is a factor of why the Korg M1 just came in and everyone had to have one for awhile.

That said, there's only one synth I feel I squoze every drop of sonic possibility out of, the original DX7 that I still have. It's in my room at mom's in Vermont, and I play it when I visit there. I'm utterly convinced that posterity has underrated it. I've gotten truly analog-sounding comps and pads out of it, and even B3's that sound damned good when run through a decent Leslie simulation.

Synths are like our brains (or, our brains are like synths, which is why we all hang out here!). We only use something like 10% of their power most of the time.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stage Front Line:

Alesis QS-8.1 / J-station --- with Vintage Keys, Vintage Synths, Sanctualry, HipHop, and Classical Q-Cards

Novation K-Station

Studio Front Line:

Alesis QS-8.1 (controller mostly)

Seq Circuits Prophet 5, rev 3.3

M-Audio Oxygen 8

Native Instruments B-4 VSTi

Native Instruments Pro-52 VSTi

mdaPiano VSTi

Emagic EVP73 VSTi

Reserves still getting use - or will when we get space:

Henry F. Miller spinet piano

Hammond D-152 w/ Solo Pedal Unit (no Leslie)

Kurzweil SP-88

Rhodes Stage 73

Hohner D-6 Clavinet

Steinberg Model E VSTi (and about 20 more I won't list, all freebies or built-ins)

pair Yamaha TX-7s

Yamaha TQ-5

Reserves needing repair:

Arp Solina SE-4 String Ensemble

Yamaha KX-88

Reserves headed for the chopping block:

Roland XP-10

Roland P-55

Yamaha P-50

The Kurz might go after the QS8.1 and KX88 are repaired - can't get used to those ribbons...

Long gone, long lamented:

Arp Axxe (sold for $65 under wifely pressure. Waaah!!!)

I kinda have a love/hate relationship with my QS - some great sounds, but they're buried in with tons of awful ones. Getting a lot of use out my Vintage Keys cards, but the Rhodes patches are still weird. That's a hard board to edit, too. But the feel is so great! It's been in the shop for 5 weeks (pre-amp problem?), I'm really missing it.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

As far as appreicating what I own:

I have the same Korg DW8000 I purchased back in 1986. It still works flawlessly, and is a permanent part of my stage rig. For reasons known only to me, :) I love the sounds I'm able to get out of it for the type of music I am playing.

Out of fear of meltdown after 18 years of use, I did buy to EX8000's (rack version) as backup.

cheers,

David

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Archived