Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Short explanation on the Text Ads on Right

cannedbananas

As some of you have already seen (and discussed) there are text ads on the right. More information is on its way but here is a short explanation about what is going on...

For the last +2 years I have been part of the team that has been keeping the forums running from a technology/manpower standpoint. I bow to the fact that the readers and moderators are the ones who have been keeping the forums running from a creative/contribution standpoint. From an emergency migration from an old server and new hardware/software to the manpower it takes to keep this forum running, I can tell you that while it has been a labor of love, it has also been a labor of negative revenue. Hence our experiment with the text ads.

A more complete "Open Letter" is being written that will more thoroughly explain our goals and the reasons behind them... plus an opportunity for you to be a part of the process. In the mean time, here are some bullet point explanations of some of the questions I've seen.

> No cookies are used to determine what ads show up. Google uses the context of the pages and links to try to determine what ads are appropriate. Most of the time Google does a good job but sometimes the results can be amusing.

> If you feel that any of the links are inappropriate and/or should be banned, please let us know and we can block them.

> The board does not generate any revenue from the banner on top of the page. That space belongs to Music Player as a condition for us keeping this board up.

> Our goals for the revenue generated include but are not limited to... board maintenace cost (time, hardware, bandwidth), board upgrades, new resources for the the forum (including forum only giveaways) and long deserved compensation for the people that moderate and help keep this board running.

So please, click click click a sponsor. There is no obligation and even just one click per visit will go a long way in helping this forum prosper.

More information is on the way.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by cannedbananas:

new resources for the the forum (including forum only giveaways) and long deserved compensation for the people that moderate and help keep this board running.

Very kewl :thu: I'm all for keeping this place running. I've learned more here in the past couple of years than I'd even admit. Will the giveaways be along the lines of www.berkleepress.com ? :thu::thu:

Originally posted by cannedbananas:

So please, click click click a sponsor. There is no obligation and even just one click per visit will go a long way in helping this forum prosper.

Tech ain't free. I usually hang out in Low Down, Keyboard Korner and SSS. The moderators in those forums do a great job. Hopefully a little compensation on there part would be an incentive to stick around. Possibly making this a profitable venture all around.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I'm clicking away. They can indeed be amusing, as one time it seems Google's algorithm glommed onto the word "Fantom" in this forum and posted an ad for the eponymous vacuum cleaner. I ordered one, and not only does it do a great job of cleaning the filthy carpet in my home studio, but it's motor whine sounds really analog. :freak::D

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Archived