Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Running Synths Into Stomp Boxes ?

clusterchord

What do i need in between? besides level matching, are there impedance issues?

my guitarist has some great EHX stuff and i was looking into those too; there are some really interesting gadgets out there for mangling :freak: /processing :D .

i know stomps work with rhodes , but synths or even line-level signal from a DAW is another matter.

how is this done properly?

thanks

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i tried it w Small Stone and Mistress its very easy to overload the input. I could decrease the output i guess, and it could work for analogics, but is it my imagination, the already crappy romplers (tri studio etc) sound even thinner when i decrease their main out level..?!

is there some kind of a passive attenuator?

Originally posted by clusterchord:

i tried it w Small Stone and Mistress its very easy to overload the input.

Really? Hmmm - I've used a Small Stone phaser with a few different ROMplers, keyboards and analog synths before with no problems. These days I use the MoogerFooger phaser. Also no problems.

Never tried the Electric Mistress on synths...

I could decrease the output i guess, and it could work for analogics, but is it my imagination, the already crappy romplers (tri studio etc) sound even thinner when i decrease their main out level..?!
Not to the best of my knowledge...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I've noticed that the older effects pedals are very easy to overload with a synth, so I always had to cut the volume, sometimes more than half. The newer units might have a better impedance and level match, but that would be entirely up to experimentation. So far all my experience is with rack units.
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Way back in the day, I ran my Arp Axxe thru a Mutron Bi-Phase, worked like a charm. Now, sometimes, for s&gs, I run my QS-8 through a Johnson J-Station - some level compatibility issues, but I still like the effects - especially bass patches through their Bassman emulator...

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by clusterchord:

i tried it w Small Stone and Mistress its very easy to overload the input.

Really? Hmmm - I've used a Small Stone phaser with a few different ROMplers, keyboards and analog synths before with no problems. These days I use the MoogerFooger phaser. Also no problems.

Never tried the Electric Mistress on synths...

I could decrease the output i guess, and it could work for analogics, but is it my imagination, the already crappy romplers (tri studio etc) sound even thinner when i decrease their main out level..?!
Not to the best of my knowledge...

dB

Yeah - many of these things are designed to take guitar level signals not line level so they are easy to overload.

I run my Wah pedal through the aux send of my keyboard amp. I have to get the level set right as the unit is noisy and overloads easily. Set up right thought it sounds great.

You might try a DI with a pad.

I have run my Roland Juno-6, D-50 and even my Motif throught various types of stomp boxes over the years (try running a synth-based Rhodes patch through a Crybaby or Vox wahwah pedal sometimes).

Any type will work depending on your style of music and even if not, mangling the sound can have some interesting results.

Plug in the real way and happy keyboarding...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

from what i tried or seen so far, first i want to get:

EH Memoryman Deluxe (for analog delay),

VERMONA PH16 - rackmount stereo phaser, and possibly:

FROSTWAVE Resonator(MS20 filters) or EH Qtron+ for additional filtering flavor besides my andromeda filter inputs (moog/sem)

Others that i'm thinking bout are EH SmallStone and Wiggler.

comments/suggestions?

they'll be used on synths, loops, rhodes and pre-recorded daw audio in an upcoming ambient-lounge-triphop project.

Archived