Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Giga / midi question

Mr.WOW

Hello,

Giga has midi input 1 - 16 . What different ways do you set this up in conjunction with the keyboard.

I am sure there are different ways to do it, that is why I am asking , do you make c3 - c4 a bass and then maybe c4 - c5 some drums?

What are some different ways to look at this?

Did this question make ANY since?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost never split the keyboard to control multiple parts on Giga. Maybe the occasional bass/piano split. Sometimes setting up layers is nice. Mainly I just use the multiple channels on GS to read multiple tracks of the sequencer.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Thanks, keep it coming, I am new to Giga.

So you load ONE sound and just use the entire keyboard to fire off giga?

Say a bass sound, and then use all of the keys on the one sound for different pitches?

I am just looking for ideas from the pros.

THANKS

WOW

Giga supports 16 MIDI channels and also 4 MIDI ports which gives you the possibility of 64 MIDI channels. If you set up your controller to send its bottom notes to MIDI ch 1 and top notes to ch 2, you can easily set up splits.

You can have different MIDI interfaces assigned to the four ports, but you don't have to. You can tie the ports together (by clicking on the green 1,2,3,4 buttons on the main screen). This is very helpful in putting together layers. I do this all the time with string libraries placing violins on port 1, violas port 2, etc. Then I can play four sections of the strings at once. Additionally (memory permitting) you can assign the different articulations (legato, pizzicatto, etc) to different MIDI channels so then just moving to a different channel you can play the articulation for the four sections. Be warned layering quickly uses up polyphony.

Many people don't use splits with Giga because many sample libraries come with key triggered dimensions which are typically placed at the lowest notes of the keyboard. Because Giga's capacity is so large you can load into memory several complete variations of a library, e.g. violins legato, stac, pizz, and then switch between those by pressing a non-sounding key mapped to the lower notes on the keyboard.

Another strength of Giga is because it's only loading a small portion of the sample into RAM, loading of smaller libraries (such as Akai translations) is very quick. This is great for auditioning sounds. Now once their loaded in, you can switch between them instantly. Get in the habit of clicking on the LOADED INSTRUMENTS tab when working with Giga. From this view you can instantly switch between any of the loaded libraries/variations or use MIDI program change to switch for you. Once you've used streaming you won't back to RAM based if only because it's so slow.

Finally, you're going to have a LOT more capability with Giga 3.0, HOPEFULLY released Mar/Apr.

Busch.

Giga 3 has up to 8 ports, in case you were feeling limited by 64 MIDI channels. :) It also stacks instruments, so you can have 16 instruments on one MIDI channel, then move on to the next one. Works well for drum sounds, the new Larry Seyer Library loads each drum as a seperate instrument so you can mix and match on one MIDI channel.

You should also check out MIDIoverLAN, it allows you to go from PC to PC using a LAN connection instead of MIDI interfaces on both ends. Windows only as far as I know.

Just finished assembling my PC to run Giga last night. I forgot how cheap PCs are -- $600 and I have a killer system. Trying out GigaStudio 3 beta tonight...

Archived