Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where's Medeski?

yannis D

hi guys

I'm a HUGE fan of Medeski, Martin and Wood and i'm always try to figure out what kind of voicings and drawbar setting Medeski use in most of their songs (from "Shakcman" to "Uninvisible"), and in most of "A Go Go" recording. This guy is pure magic - and i would like to see Keyboard Magazine examining his playing, techniques, and way of THINKING (as Downbeat -a not specialized keyboard magazine- did almost 2 years ago!). This guy turned B3 playing up-side-down, such a great innovator. I would be nice to read a detailed interview. What's your oppinion?

Friendly

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Keyboard Mag has featured Medeski on 2 occasions. Once in 1996 and once in 2002 or 2003, just recently.

I can look up the articles at home and let you know which issues they are in, so you can search online archives. Some of Keyboard mag's content is stored on the web.

Medeski is one of my favorites!

Regards,

Eric

I saw him playing with the Blind Boys of Alabama on Leno a few weeks ago. I always enjoy players who know when to stay in the background, but who can also let it rip when the opportunity is there. No doubt Medeski is my favorite B3ist.

Hi guys, thanx for the replies.

I saw once MMW in London, and I was thrilled. I own almost anything Medeski is part of (Logic CD's, Sco's 'A Go Go', gospel things, etc), and I'm quite impressed about his versatility and ideal placement in every music he plays: he is at the same time himself (MMW heart) and an ideal "accompaniateur exeptionell" for any different style he's in. I'm planning to go see him in Spain in March. Hopefully...

But the problem still stays on: I ain't got those previous Keyboard Magazines to read about thechniques, settings, sound and style. So, put some pressure to Keyboard Magazine exellent contributors minds - we may have the joy to see Medeski soon enough

Regards

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

:thu:

Medeski is one of the freshest things to happen to B3 (and clavinet) in a while. The percussive and timbral aspects of his playing truly advance the art form.

I recall at least one of the keyboard articles. He had been focusing on some traditional piano trio things, so they discussed piano technique more than B3.

I'd love to hear him expound on the B3 and clav aspect of his contributions. Some conversation about gliss techniques, how he picked up B3 technique, the role of electromechanical (as opposed to electronic) keyboards, etc. From his playing, I imagine he has a passionate point of view. Thats always a good thing to have more of.

Best,

Jerry

Where's Medeski?
I heard he was out playing his Martin in the Woods! ;) (sorry...)

The Organ-ized CD has a cut with DJ Logic that is absolutely killer. I'd love to know how they pulled off some of those FX and turntable expressions.

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Archived