Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on a MIDI Keyboard Controller...

JT3_Jon

I'm in the market for a new MIDI keyboard controller. What I'm looking for is a 61 note keyboard hopefully USB powered, plenty of MIDI assignable knobs, sliders, etc. Though I DONT need it to also function as my MIDI interface. For example, the M-Audio Radium looks great, except for the fact that it does indeed have a built in MIDI interface. Seeing as how I do not need this function, I would rather buy one that is simply a MIDI controller.

Thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction. :wave:

http://www.shopjt3.com Music Technology Workshop

Drop me a line and tell me what ya think!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I don't think you will find anything better, or even close, that does not act as a MIDI interface. Seeing that the MIDI Interface most likely only adds about $20 to the cost it would be a bad marketing move for a manufacturer to leave out that feature when so many people need it. Don't let that feature deter you from getting the controller that works best for you. If you don't need it, don't use it. Then if you want to sell it at a later time, this feature will improve the resale value.

Other choices include the Edirol PCR-80 and Evolution MK-461. Im holding out for the 61 key version of the Novation Remote 61 Extreme which will include a K-Station engine and include V-Station software.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

To be honest, I don't think you will find anything better, or even close, that does not act as a MIDI interface. Seeing that the MIDI Interface most likely only adds about $20 to the cost it would be a bad marketing move for a manufacturer to leave out that feature when so many people need it. Don't let that feature deter you from getting the controller that works best for you. If you don't need it, don't use it. Then if you want to sell it at a later time, this feature will improve the resale value.

Thank you for the info. Yeah, I now see that it makes logical sense to throw in a MIDI interface, esp. for that cost! My next questions is for anyone who has seen/uses one: If your using the USB for power, does that mean the USB MIDI interface is being used as well, and if so, can you either run two MIDI interfaces at once, or at least disable the keyboard version, or am I just asking for MIDI signal problems? Also, do you guys feel M-Audio makes quality products? Will this keyboard hold up to the rigors of college life?

Originally posted by Rabid:

Other choices include the Edirol PCR-80 and Evolution MK-461. Im holding out for the 61 key version of the Novation Remote 61 Extreme which will include a K-Station engine and include V-Station software.

What is a K-Station engine? Is that an oscillator simulator for digital keyboards? Whats V-Station software?

Thank you guys for your help once again!

Jon

Thanks for the link, though it leads to another question...

What's the real difference between the Edirol PCR-80 and the Evolution MK-25c that makes the Edirol $100 more? They both have 61 keys, 27 assignable knobs, sliders and buttons, and both recognize the same midi messages. The only difference I can see is that the Edirol holds 6 more memory locations (16 instead of 10) and it comes with some kind of PCR-Editor for your computer rather then the Enigma Editor for the Evolution. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between the software, but is it worth the extra 100 bucks, for this is really the only difference I can see between the two.

Is there more here than meets the eye? :confused:

if you are very 'midi literate', i'd get the PCR.

it can send sys-ex messages and can control the parameters of most synths, old and new. they even have templates for the roland xv5080.

midi-wise, it's the most advanced i've found.

if you just want to send CC's for softsynths and such, either one will probably do.

i don't know about evolutions build quality, but the pcr is pretty solid for what it is.

It's not 61 keys, but...

There was a new 88-key controller announced at Namm:

StudioLogic VMK88

This thing looks really attractive to me. The only thing I might be concerned about it A) how does the keyboard feel and B) does it generate any noise (environmental noise, like the LCD humming, or like that).

Originally posted by JT3_Jon:

Also, do you guys feel M-Audio makes quality products?

YES :cool:

Originally posted by JT3_Jon:

Will this keyboard hold up to the rigors of college life?

With a decent keyboard bag and normal caring of the keyboard, it will hold all that stuff. Mine holds MY life style and I play live with it and use it as my studio's center piece.

I don't want to convince you with words, but just wanted to tell you I'm the Tech support guy for Latin America -but can handle some US fellows too ;) - so don't hesitate on asking me anything about M-Audio's or Evolution's keyboards.

:wave:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Richard Whitehouse:

It's not 61 keys, but...

There was a new 88-key controller announced at Namm:

StudioLogic VMK88

This thing looks really attractive to me. The only thing I might be concerned about it A) how does the keyboard feel and B) does it generate any noise (environmental noise, like the LCD humming, or like that).

Even better...

StudioLogic TMK-88

EDITED:

Oh shXt ... it is not and USB device... but hell, it's a cool keyboard.

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

Even better...

StudioLogic TMK-88

EDITED:

How do you figure the TMK88 is better than the VMK88? VMK seems to have more controllers, whereas as TMK88 is spartan to the extreme. I mean I like simplicity, but that TMK88 took it a bit too far

Originally posted by Guest User:

Even better...

StudioLogic TMK-88

EDITED:

How do you figure the TMK88 is better than the VMK88? VMK seems to have more controllers, whereas as TMK88 is spartan to the extreme. I mean I like simplicity, but that TMK88 took it a bit too far
I was talking about PRICE and portability. However it does not have MIDI assignable controllers and it ain't an USB device. Wrong choice.

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by mildbill:

if you are very 'midi literate', i'd get the PCR.

it can send sys-ex messages and can control the parameters of most synths, old and new. they even have templates for the roland xv5080.

midi-wise, it's the most advanced i've found.

if you just want to send CC's for softsynths and such, either one will probably do.

i don't know about evolutions build quality, but the pcr is pretty solid for what it is.

Thank you for the information, through I'm not quite sure what I would use sys-ex messages for? (I guess I'm not very MIDI-literate). What I'm looking for is a decent MIDI controller to control the MIDI parameters of my current external sound devices (Roland JV-1010 & XV-2020's) and to eventually be used with software instruments and software samplers. If the Edirol makes life easier in this department, allowing for more control over MIDI parameters, then it might be worth the extra dough. However, the money I save in a controller directly goes into my "new samples" account, thus I would like to save money when possible.

Thank you once again for all your help! New cars for college are overrated, give me music equipment any day. :D

"Thank you for the information, through I'm not quite sure what I would use sys-ex messages for?"

a lot of hardware (romplers, especially), are not open to being controlled by CC's - you must use sys-ex.

if you can figure it out, you can control all parameters. sys-ex charts are included with some pieces - it's what is used to make software editing programs for hardware.

european va's are generally better than japanese romplers in this.

CC's are pretty easy to get your head around - sys-ex is more difficult.

this page:

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcr/control_maps.html

lists some of the templates available from this manufacturer - others have similar pages - good luck.

Originally posted by mildbill:

a lot of hardware (romplers, especially), are not open to being controlled by CC's - you must use sys-ex.

if you can figure it out, you can control all parameters. sys-ex charts are included with some pieces - it's what is used to make software editing programs for hardware.

european va's are generally better than japanese romplers in this.

CC's are pretty easy to get your head around - sys-ex is more difficult.

this page:

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcr/control_maps.html

lists some of the templates available from this manufacturer - others have similar pages - good luck.

Thanks for the link! I went to the edirol homepage looking for this listing earlier in the week and got a broken link. Guess they fixed it.

As for the actual templates, they look very interesting! When they make specific references to sequencing programs, does it mean that using through using this template, you can control specific functions of the actual program, e.g. faders for mixing, etc from the actual keyboard? If so I'm sold! Anyway to avoid using the trackpad on my laptop while composing is a MAJOR plus worthy of the extra money.

Thanks again for helping this newbee out. Its people sharing knowledge with other people that makes this world a better place to live, and I truly appreciate all the knowledge you have shared. I hope to one day be able to return the favor!

Jon

I just wanted to tell you I'm the Tech support guy for Latin America -but can handle some US fellows too ;) - so don't hesitate on asking me anything about M-Audio's or Evolution's keyboards.

Senor Gus:

I have one request: Polyphonic Aftertouch! :idea:

In this day and age, there is no really is no reason why a polyphonic synth shouldn't be played with polyAT. Right now I am using a 12 yr old synth with PolyAT as a MIDI controller, it would be nice to have an updated, modern controller with this feature. Thanks!!

Archived