Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If Bob Dylan was really hip...

Before Beck, before Madonna, before Bowie was rock music's first (& till foremost) chameleon: Bob Dylan. A garage rock & roller in high school, he became a rock-disparaging folkie in college. He gained great fame only to confound his fans & colleagues by going electric in imitation of the Beatles & Rolling Stones & then pull the reverse trick again when he un-psychedelicised himself in the late 1960s. Proto-punk Rolling Thunder Review; hyper Jew for Jesus; arrhythmic rapper on a Kurtis Blow record; the list goes on & on. After a while, he'd gone through so many personas he can't even himself tell who he is...weaselly Clark Gable mustache one day; fake beard & wig at the Newport Folk Feat the next month. Now he's "surprising" audiences by covering hits by others (like the Stones's "Brown Sugar") in concert. So here we are to offer Bob some career advice. What should he do next ? Complete this sentence: [b]If Bob Dylan was [i]really[/i] hip[/b], ....

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Hank The Cave Peanut: [b]...he'd team up with that guy from Matchbox 20?[/b][/quote]LOL. Maybe he should hire the hottest songwriters in the business, have the hottest rock stars do guest spots on his album, take a back seat, and then win a grammy for it...No, wait, that's already been done. :rolleyes:
I have no homepage.

[quote]Originally posted by george costanza: [b] After a while, he'd gone through so many personas he can't even himself tell who he is...[/b][/quote]I can relate to that at the moment.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

...he'd cut a bluegrass version of "I Am The Walrus". Here's why: Bob Dyalsn & John Lennon had a a rivalry almost as strong as that of Lennon & Syr(up) Paul McCorny. This was based partly on Dylan's belief that he's superior to all other songsters (& truthfully, he [i]is[/i]) but also because Lennon had his way with Joan Baez. This is the subtext of not only the Beatle tune "Norwegian Wood" but also Dylan's typically snide reply-song "4th Time Around" [on [b]Blonde On Blonde[/b], check it out---it even steals the melody of "...Wood"]. Dylan (& the Band) came out of retirement with his anti-psychedelic country image, though his lyrics remained as convoluted as ever. Lennon's next step was to write a set of songs ("Walrus";"Glass Onion";"Hippyness Is Some Warm Gum") that mocked the hyper-obtuseness of Dylanesque rock song lyrics & the "we'll interpret anything into something" nature of late '60s fans. Then he abandoned poeticism for the flinty imagery of his late-Beatle & early solo period. I think it's time for Bob Dill (the singing pickle) to get in the last word. If he wants to cover tunes by his competitors (can [b]Self Portrait 2[/b] be far off ?) & [i]if he were really hip[/i], he'd make his band do a bluegrass version of "Walrus".

Archived