Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lighten The Load

Joe Tee

OK...here goes another subjective ponderance... :rolleyes:

I've been playing the bar scene for over 25 years and done my share of lugging heavy keyboards (not to mention PA equipment). Now in my late 40's with two lower back surgeries under my belt (so to speak) I'm looking to possibly lighten my gear...Adkins for keyboards if you will....

I currently use a Roland RD 600 and XK 2 (with H&K) for gigging along with some rack modules. In reading posts here I'm intrigued about going to a Nord Electro for my organ sounds and a P90 for my piano. I didn't see any info on being able to program external setting on the P90...can you? Any input on what I would be missing besides weight on these two? I have a QSR and Vintage Pro in my rack....

Joe

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's my setup, P90 for piano and Nord Electro for organ and el Piano: However, the P90 has practically no capabilities as a midi cntrl. You can basicaly set the midi chanel and that's it, no zones. If you have any specific questions you can email me. Also you can download the manual at the yamaha site. http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/index.html

Right now I have several performace settings stored on my RD...splits/layers... I'd like to be able to recall presets from my rack and use splits...in conjunction with say the P90.

I skimmed through the P90 manual on line and it looks rather limited on the midi side.

Any problems with the P90 being road worthy? The Nord looks good on paper. I've not had my hands on one. I use piano and organ mainly and am a B3 owner...so I want a convincing organ sound as well as piano. I'm sure with some creative thought I can find a way to rearrange my settings to make this work....

I guess to try and "bottom line" this whole thing... :D I want to lighten my load and still have a pro feel and sound to my boards....now....this is where the subjective part comes into play...

Thanks...

Someone once told me that "you can't get tone on a diet." This was in reference to replacing a real Leslie with a simulation. In my opinion, traveling lighter is the way to go. You cannot go wrong with the Nord Electro. It is an amazing instrument. Very lightweight and musical. Killer organ, great EP and clav sounds. Make sure and buy one new from a good dealer as there were a couple of batches of problem Electros, so you want to have support in case you happen to find a problem.

As for the other part of your rig, I would recommend replacing your RD600 and rack modules with one keyboard that does all of these things. The Yamaha S90 comes to mind. I was using an RD600 with a separate synth (either Nord Lead or Virus Indigo), plus a Hammond clone and I got tired of carrying 3 keyboards but needed the sounds. So I replaced the RD and synth with an S90 and I've never been happier. The S90 is actually lighter and a bit smaller than the RD600. It is about 20 lbs heavier than the P90, but the extra functionality is worth it.

Not having to deal with rack modules and all the fussing required would save you some time and headache. Plus, it is easier to have all your sounds in one keyboard to help manage them better.

You can install expansion boards and there are all sorts of 3rd party sounds available for the S90. It is one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time.

Regards,

Eric

You will not regret the Electro. It's by far the closest thing to a Hammond that I've ever played. Well, except for the drawbuttons, which after a month of gigging I still haven't gotten used to. But the sound and the feel of the keys is worth it, at least to me.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

If all you want piano and B3, the P90 and electro will fill the bill and the electro has some really nice clav, Rhodes and Wurly sounds. The P90 has a decent acoustic piano; I also own an RD700 and prefer the RD piano sound, SRX-02, but its heavy, {probably the same as the Yamaha S90)and my back isn't that great either.

So try the P90 and see if you like the sound. Unfortunately you cannot setup zones and even the basic midi functions are hard to get to. Also it uses a wall wart which I live in fear of leaving home...you could get a radio shack PS and leave it in the car. I do think it has the best touch out of all of the keyboards in that weight class. I've been using the P90 for a year and have had no problems and I play pretty hard.

What do you use for amplification?

Originally posted by jfhyde:

What do you use for amplification?

I'm using a Rolls line mixer and JBL EON 15...I like the sound but it's (EON) not light either... I run my XK through an H&K Tube Rotosphere.

After I get my keys lightened up I may take a look at that area also. Thought of IEM but I also run the sound for the band and I like to hear what they do.

Archived