Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do I need a Mixer?

AnthonyB

Hello,

I have a Triton Studio, and a Digital Piano (Roland). I was wondering if, at the end of the day, I would require a mixer of some sort to get that pro feel/mix to my music. reason I ask this, is because the Triton Studio has DTD (Direct to disk( recording, and you can mix on that....and then create your final CD - without leaving the Triton environment (or even - as KORG say, without any external gear)

I have a budget of about £600-700 (that's about $900-1000 ish US) There are choices though, in ZOOM, Korg D12, BOSS BR1180, Yamaha AW16, all very simarly priced here in UK (anyone have any favs amonst these mentioned?). I would like one with a CD burner, but then again, could I get a "non-CD" one, and mix/transfer back to Triton etc?

....Or maybe, perhaps, go the PC route, get a VERY good sound card (currently have onboard AC97 :eek: , and use Cubase 5.0, Sonar 2 that i have ffor mixing etc.

New to recording and the like, sorry :confused:

TIA

AnthonyB

With the ever increase in technology, the word "impossible" should be used with caution if at all...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AnthonyB, you pose some excellent questions. However, I would like to know a little more about the final product. What do you want to get out of this? Are you looking to produce a CD that you can give to friends? Or something more polished that could get you additional work?

Off the top of my head, I would recommend going with a PC with a suitable interface. You have a lot of good instrumentation that you need to bring together in a central place. A PC will give you the flexibility you need to mix the tracks, work with plug-ins and soft synths, EQ and compress as needed, and finally MASTER your work so that you can burn a CD that you'll be proud to use as your demo (if that's what you're after).

That's my opinion. I'm sure there are others here much more qualified than I to help you with this.

Stick around, and welcome to the forum! :)

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hello "Is there gas in the car" (will ITGITC do? lol)

Well, being new to recording etc, i want to know if I may get satisfactory results with just the Triton/Burner etc, just for starters. Or would a Mixer/Sound card (Delta?)be on my shopping list anyway - come the final "mix"!.

Like I said, I am new to recording synths etc (I play the Piano)and would just like to get down a few nice tracks (all with there own effects), and build up an orchestral backing for my Piano performance (so I can play the "Final" CD on my HI-FI, and play along with the Piano in real time. This is just one of the things i would do. I like modern music too - but not too hard-core rap etc, something that sounds listenable to the layman :)

One day (well we all dream!) I would like to compose music for local - and perhaps national TV/Media - no, not MTV (lol) - and see my credit right at the end of a speilberg movie (no. forget, too dreamy!) Seriously though, I would like to head in that direction, and make some CD's that may, with work, get "Listened" to. I don't play out/gig or anything, but love to compose music in my little study.

There's a few tunes I here on TV (all types), and when I hear them, I think to myself, "hey I could that" - probably better than you" Lets face it, no-one's "super-human" in the music world, they are all trained to a certain point - if not gifted a little perhaps, and why should someone else be producing/composing music, when I (or many on these Forums)could probably do as well?.

I bet there's some superb bands/composers/singers/instrumentulist out there - really talented you know, that just don't get heard....because they haven't gone that extra step forward in there career. They probably think..."I'll never get that far, look at the competition" etc. And with that type of thinking, that's what they'll be; just another band - albeit a talented one, without the fame of course :)

AnthonyB

With the ever increase in technology, the word "impossible" should be used with caution if at all...

AnthonyB,

ITGITC is just fine. Gas is good too. I also go by Tom. The folks at home call me Tommy. I've been called worse. ;)

Look - you are on the right track just by logging in to this forum. You're asking the right questions.

I'm going to ask the other guys help you. There are lots of folks here who are doing exactly what you want to do. Listen to what they have to say and you'll be off to a good start!

Best of luck to you! :thu:

Gas :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived