Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hi i'm new and ignorant... could you help?

catchpenny

hello there,

i play keys in an alternative pseudo-proggy rock band.

untill resently ive just been playing what is bassically a toy keyboard. But now i've saved up my cash and am ready to make that dash... but am not sure what i want.

i need lots of organ sounds (from hammond to radiohead esque AHHH type noises?) a piano, and the ability to play around making cool new soundscaping soundy things -though i'll probably need some sort of additional sound module for that?

I've got about £1000(max -preferibly lest)to spend... :)

any suggestions/tips? am i being moronic?

cheers,

Charlie

ps The Elegies

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that ~1000 pounds is about $1,600 US. I would personally look for an Alesis QS synth for that money as it should cover your bases pretty well. A used Yamaha S80 or, if you can spring for it, a new S90 would be great too. I have an S80 and I could cover that stuff with the onboard sounds with a little tweaking.

Casey

hi, thanks for the replies -wow a friendly forum!

I play jazz chords and things so lots of keys and polythany is vital.

do you get piano and organ sounds out of stright up "synths"?

i liked the look of the ROLAND VR760 but its too expensive!

the Alesis QS.81 looks good -thanks for that tip.

as for what kind of music we pay, its really going through an evolutionary process at the moment... but think maybe the velvet underground playing pinkfloyd.. or something.

cheers,

charlie

Do you want 88 key weighted, 61 key synth, or maybe a 76 synth action keyboard that allows you to stretch out a bit more on piano parts? Do you want one keyboard that is the best you can afford, or two keyboards for more parts and as insurance if one keyboard goes out during a gig?

I would consider a combination of an Alesis 8.1 and an E-mu Vintage Keys. I am not sure about where you live, but here in the states you can pick up that combination new and stay within budget.

If you want one better quality keyboard you might consider a Yamaha Motif 6 or Roland Fantom S 61, or even find a used Fantom with 76 keys and no sampling. Note that none of these has as much polyphony as the Emu.

A third option is to get something like a Yamaha Motif Rack (128 osc polyphony) and connect it to a controller or two. If you work on your setups you can connect both a cheap 88 weighted controller and a smaller synth action controller to the Motif Rack.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

There are a LOT of great keyboards in that price range that can give you what you are looking for, especially in a live context:

Korg Triton Le 76

Roland Fantom S

Yamaha Motif (not the ES)

or you could go with something like an E-mu Vintage Pro Keyboard and add a few expansions.

"For instance" is not proof.

For $1,600 you could do well on the used market. For example, I have seen the Yamaha S80 on Ebay for $900. With the additional $700, you could do something new (e.g., a module) or grab a relatively decent used keyboard (e.g., used QS7.1, or 8.1, etc.).
Yamis

Originally posted by Jeebus:

How many keys do you need?

If he is as new and ignorant as he claims, just C major. Unless there are guitars in the band, in which case all he needs is A major.

What's the record for tunes in a row called in A major at a Jam? I suspect I am not even close.

Oh - to get back on topic. If you are serious about a good board, the S90 is not very far out of your price range if you have a thousand quid saved up already. This is the best sounding piano you can actually pick up and carry.

The Alesis, sadly, is not in the same class. It was a great board when it came out 6 or 7 years ago when I bought my QS8 that I still play but Alesis has done nothing but fiddle with the packaging since. If you do decide to go with this try to get an original QS or a .1 series second hand rather than the .2 - the .2 is missing some of the features of the earlier units. Make sure you try any original series first - Alesis is said to have had reliability problems with some units (mine, touch wood, has been solid as a rock)

Be aware though that you then probably want to get amplification to go with as well. You don't mention what you are using for this at the moment.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

There are a LOT of great keyboards in that price range that can give you what you are looking for, especially in a live context:

Korg Triton Le 76

Roland Fantom S

Yamaha Motif

I second these nominations. :thu:

They all sound different, though, so try them all and buy the one that sounds the best. The Motif ES is worth getting if you can scrape up the additional shillings.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Byrdman, nah its F#m all the way for us... :)

the S90 looks great but £1000 was really the absolute max i could push for...

for amplification we have a Roland KC550 which we run vocals and bass through as well (which i know is probably really bad)

i've found a triton le for £759 -but only 61 keys.

Dan South, you're right, i really do need to go in and try one

Archived