Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Underwater Vocals?

I have a session next week where I have to make a vocalist sound like he's singing underwater. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and if you used plug-in's or unconventional recording techniques. One method we've discussed is wrapping a 57 in a condom, putting it in a tub of water while the singer puts his face in the water and sings. I'm serious. Any tips would really help. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that's how someone else recorded underwater sounds. I remember several years ago, people were discussing recording underwater on rec.audio.pro. If this forum doesn't have it in the archives, do a search there. I have no idea if this would achieve "underwater-sounding" vocals, if you're talking about those Captain Nemo type of vocals, or "The Little Mermaid" type vocals.

Using condoms to record vocals sucks because you loose all the "feel" :D I think there are a few flange type plugins that have "underwater" presets, but they don't really sound like underwater recording... more like a generic idea of how people think underwater should sound. Kinda like how watermelon jolly ranchers don't taste like real watermelon. I think Ben Folds used some undewater vocals on a track off his latest album. Interesting idea and yet another use for condoms.

[quote]Originally posted by deanmass: [b]I wonder how they recorded it in Finding Nemo? All the audio in that movie is crystal clear, and damn near the entire movie is underwater. ) :) )[/b][/quote]:) Well, you know, those Disney guys have a lot of money!!! They were probably using a CGI condom.

If you do get a track using the "bobbing for vocals" method consider posting a short example for us to hear! My idea: put a foam windscreen on the 58 underneath the condom to allow a little air movement in the capsule area. Also, have a room mic to pick up the guy splashing and coming up for air - and the bubbly sound, too. You might need to mix some of that in.
Rubber Lizard Studio

I've had another idea (two in one lifetime?!! When you're hot, you're hot!) Build a sort of reverse bong where there's a respirator thingie on the vocalist's face, a large vinyl tube going into a water container, and the 58 in the water. Or place a contact mic on the outside ot the water container?
Rubber Lizard Studio

[quote]Originally posted by Mark LaCoste: [b]I've had another idea (two in one lifetime?!! When you're hot, you're hot!) Build a sort of reverse bong where there's a respirator thingie on the vocalist's face, a large vinyl tube going into a water container, and the 58 in the water. Or place a contact mic on the outside ot the water container?[/b][/quote]Hmmmmmmmmm . . . what made you think of that idea, huh? Did you recently get some inspiration?
Amateur Hack

Why don't you try some convolution first? Personally I have Acoustic Mirror as a part of Sound Forge. If you load a boiling water sample as an impulse, it should do the trick very well. You can easily try with any vocal sample, and if the result is good you found the formula. Convolution is a great tool. People mostly uses it for ambient recreation or mic modelling, but I tried to load any sort of sample as an impulse to convolve drums guitars and the results can be really incredible....

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Archived