Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Computer Speaker Recommendation

Markyboard

My wife is looking for something to listen to downloaded music (legal) through her PC. Any recommendations? It has to be small and cheap - under $200 I'll say. The ones that came with her new Dell absolutely suck. I figure most of these are pretty poor but maybe there's a set out there someone was pleasantly surprised by. Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dammit! I started to answer you then realized I'm at my girlfriend's house and she has the crappy stockers also. I picked up a speaker set from CompUSA for about 80 dollars. I'll reply later with the manufacturer info and model name or number. While not for the discriminating audiophile, they sound pretty darn good given the price. It's a pair with a separately controlled subwoofer that hits the lows pretty well. I listen to jazz through them quite often and they have a decent sound that I'm very content with (again, considering the price).
~Todd

I have a cheap set that came with my computer, but for my home stereo system I have Cambridge Soundworks and they are excellent. I know that they also have computer speakers as well.

Having a subwoofer really makes a big difference and you can always place under your desk out of sight.

Have you thought of wireless headphones as well?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dont bother with "computer speakers".

Get one of the all-in-one home stereo systems with a line-in jack on the back and plug your soundcard into that.

I have a 200watt Sony system that I bought new for $150. Excellent sound and when I'm word processing or web browsing I can put on CDs or cassettes or listen to the radio.

Dont bother with "computer speakers".

Yup..that was my original thought. I steered her to the m-audio BX5s for $300 which she can run through a small Mackie mixer I'm not using(if she's nice :P ). I figure add a subwoofer later on.

Get one of the all-in-one home stereo systems with a line-in jack on the back and plug your soundcard into that.

She's also considering this route although since we have everything except the speakers(cd player, sound card, mixer) why put money into a stereo when the money could be used to buy better speakers? The stereo would be used strictly as a pre-amp/amp and speakers and in this case all she needs is an amp and speakers.

Having a subwoofer really makes a big difference and you can always place under your desk out of sight.

Actually the Dell came with 2 speakers and a subwoofer. Its one of the worst sound systems I ever payed for(20 big ones). I believe any speakers that come with a computer pretty much suck. You're better off getting the cheapest ones that come with the PC(or none if possible) and buying them else where.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming

Don't even need to use a mixer, the BX series will accept inputs at Both the XLR and 1/4" input simultaneously and mix them internally. That's how I have mine set up.

I assumed a sound card output needs a preamp before the amplified speakers. But then again my current pc speakers run directly off the soundcard outputs.

Cool.

Archived