Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Xserv G5 as host for East West Symphonic Orchestra??

Dan South

Apple just announced the Xserv G5 rackmount server. The East West folks recommend that you run Symphonic Orchestra on multiple machines for best results. Would the Xserv G5 be a suitable platform for adding more voices of Symphonic Orchestra and other high-demand sample libraries?

Symphonic Orchestra configures as four stand-alone audio instruments - Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion. These are modified versions of NI's Kompakt. You could run, say, Brass and Woodwinds on your sequencing machine and Strings and Percussion on a second machine (the Xserv??) for better performance than running everything on a single computer. The Xserv would need its own streaming disk and audio interface. I don't know whether Xserv's allow installation of a PCI card, though, so you might have to use a Firewire interface.

Anyway, just a thought...

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that there is any practical advantage (apart from the form factor) to using an XServe instead of the equivalent speed G5, and there are a few disadvantages (have to buy Panther, less PCI slots, etc)

I think it will also be $1000.00 more for the same speed, and once the fibre channel is available, you're going to need the extra PCI slot.

This has been discussed on other boards, and I think the conclusion has always been that it's a better idea to just buy the rackmount kit for the tower, all things being equal.

But the 2 PCI slots would definitely be an issue for me, but YMMV.

"For instance" is not proof.

I believe the fan noise would make it challenging unless you had it in another room or an ISO. These things are designed to be placed an a server room where cooling, not noise, is a priority. Also, no audio/MIDI interface manufacturer is going to test with these, so if you have a compatibility issue they're going to point to the Xserv as being the problem.

Busch.

Archived