Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT:Strom Thurmond is older than the old guy who invented dirt

So, most of you probably know about this cat already, and some of you may know that he just had a birthday (100)... But does anyone know how he kept getting re-elected? He was Senator from his state (N.C.) for something like 800 years or something, in spite of blatant bigotry and pork barrel politics. I mean, I know things can feel like they move a little slower in the south, but come on. It's bad enough that so many of our nation's "leaders" are fat, wealthy white guys threatened by change, but at that age, what possible knowledge of the average American's daily life could he have? And aren't those the people for whom he enacts laws? And if you have seen the footage from his party, two thing should be self-evident: 1. Thurmond looks, actually, kind of dead. Indeed, creepy even. Sort of like a Tom Savini grandpa, or maybe one of those shrunken apple heads. And when he reaches for the Marilyn impersonator, it looks like he wants to bite off a piece of her soul. 2. Apparently, Trent Lott is just as blatantly ignorant, pigheaded, and racist as Thurmond. The comments he made about "all the bad things" that have happened since Thurmond's failed 1948(!) presidential campaign, and how they could have been avoided if he had won. Sheesh! These guys, and their cronyism, and their lack of compassion for all of humanity... Anyway, just had to get that off my chest. Thank you. Any comments? Peace, wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by wraub: [b]But does anyone know how he kept getting re-elected? [/b][/quote]People bitch and bitch after the fact, but nobody takes the time or effort to educate themselves. Half of the people bitching probably didn't even vote anyway.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

[quote]Originally posted by Apophe: [b]Strom Thurmond is from South Carolina. Jesee Helms is the bigot from North Carolina.[/b][/quote]Sorry, I got my racists mixed. But Papa Strom was always for that. My bad. Thanks for the correction. Peace, wraub

[quote]Originally posted by BassGuy21: [b] [quote]Originally posted by wraub: [b]But does anyone know how he kept getting re-elected? [/b][/quote]People bitch and bitch after the fact, but nobody takes the time or effort to educate themselves. Half of the people bitching probably didn't even vote anyway.[/b][/quote]never the less he is irrefutably a racist bigot in fact one thing indelibly burned into my mind is the sound of ol strom saying neegrow in that nasal rasp of his the most quintessential example of suthun chahm

[quote]2. Apparently, Trent Lott is just as blatantly ignorant, pigheaded, and racist as Thurmond. The comments he made about "all the bad things" that have happened since Thurmond's failed 1948(!) presidential campaign, and how they could have been avoided if he had won. Sheesh! These guys, and their cronyism, and their lack of compassion for all of humanity... [/quote]The Republicans have been so giddy since the November elections that the speaker of the house can slip and make such an obiously racist statement, and barely gets a mention. They used to at least pretend to be inclusive, but the latest roll has made them a bit arrogant. Did you see who George W. appointed to head the 9-11 investigation? Henry Kissinger????? Can you believe that? Again, barely a blip on the radar. Not a good sign of things to come.....

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

No, no, no!! He IS dead! Take a closer look at the footage. All kinds of strings manipulating his arms & head. He actually died sometime in '59, was buried, but floated back to the surface - as shit often does. It's AMAZING what a few hundred coats of polyurethane and several gallons of TurtleWax can do. He looked almost real! It was the part where his head almost fell off that REALLY gave it away....Actually, that happened on several occasions during the show, I think.

I just saw the birthday footage again, and jotown is totally right. Only the barest mention of why Lott is "apologising", but lots of play of his "apology". And no moral outrage at all. Even Bush's speech today on "faith-based initiatives for communities", for all his talk of togetherness and solidarity, essentially lauded Lott and his "acheivements". And who does Thurmond think he's fooling with that candy apple red hair dye? Oh yeah: he's fooling America. And don't even get me started on that Kissinger thing... Peace, wraub

the scary thing is that lott likes to brag about his singin voice what is with all of these spooky republicans and singing all of a sudden you know it is bad when bush has to censure him publicly what is with these weird suthun names anyhow like newt and strom what is a strom anyhow sounds like an adjustment device on an automatic goat neutering device maybe hey billybob careful you need to adjust the strom to +4 before you stick it on poor pete there

You have to ask yourself why a man who is no dummy, who knows that the world is watching his every move, would make such a huge mis-step? The answer is arrogance. The conservative right of the republican party are so arrogant, and sure of their mission. The good news is that 2 more years of this kind of cockiness will be their own undoing. I just hope it's soon enough.

[quote]^^^^^Still voting for Carter [/quote]Do they still put his foolish ass on the ticket? [quote] The Republicans have been so giddy since the November elections that the speaker of the house can slip and make such an obiously racist statement, and barely gets a mention [/quote]What did Denis Haster say? I havent heard this yet.

[quote]Originally posted by C.M.: [b] [quote]^^^^^Still voting for Carter [/quote]Do they still put his foolish ass on the ticket? [/b][/quote]Careful there, bud - Carter's a good man, with a lot more character than 99% of your career politicians. At least he puts his sweat where his beliefs are.

[quote]Originally posted by Shawn1272: [b]I know this is bad but I can't wait for this fucker to die. Lott too. S[/b][/quote]Well, overpopulation can be a bad thing too. Though these two clowns are pretty low on my Christmas list to the Grim-Reaper.

T. Ehl said "the scary thing is that lott likes to brag about his singin voice what is with all of these spooky republicans and singing all of a sudden you know it is bad when bush has to censure him publicly what is with these weird suthun names anyhow like newt and strom what is a strom anyhow sounds like an adjustment device on an automatic goat neutering device maybe hey billybob careful you need to adjust the strom to +4 before you stick it on poor pete there" This post, while true, is, IMO, more amusing than true. O' Little Jotown Of Bethlehem said: "You have to ask yourself why a man who is no dummy, who knows that the world is watching his every move, would make such a huge mis-step? The answer is arrogance. The conservative right of the republican party are so arrogant, and sure of their mission. The good news is that 2 more years of this kind of cockiness will be their own undoing. I just hope it's soon enough." This post, IMO, is just true. Peace, wraub

[quote]Originally posted by ChristopherKemp: [b] [quote]Originally posted by C.M.: [b] [quote]^^^^^Still voting for Carter [/quote]Do they still put his foolish ass on the ticket? [/b][/quote]Careful there, bud - Carter's a good man, with a lot more character than 99% of your career politicians. At least he puts his sweat where his beliefs are.[/b][/quote]He was just awarded the Nobel prize for peace, I guess in CM's book that means he is a total loser.

[quote] Careful there, bud - Carter's a good man, with a lot more character than 99% of your career politicians. At least he puts his sweat where his beliefs are [/quote]He has strong beliefs but that does not make a good leader. I think Carter has a good heart(he is from my state) but he was one of the worst presidents in the last 100 years. Look at what our country was going through when he was in office. I put him above the two presidents that were impeached . Besides that he was not very good.

[quote] He was just awarded the Nobel prize for peace, I guess in CM's book that means he is a total loser. [/quote]They also gave the peace prize to Yasser Arafat(1994). He is a DAMN TERRORIST. What does that tell you about this award. Besides the chairman of the nobel committee said he gave it to carter just to shit on Bush. He(carter) should give the damn thing back just to make a point.

Oh CM, you must still be hallucinating from your smallpox vaccination. [quote]Besides the chairman of the nobel committee said he gave it to carter just to shit on Bush. [/quote]Now who said this?! You? Why is it that whenever someone questions Bush, or any of the republican leadership, you attack them, yet you piss on Democratic presidents, past and present, with impunity. Jimmy Carter has done more for world peace, and to help the poor and downtrodden than anyone. Isn't that what leaders are supposed to do?

[quote] Jimmy Carter has done more for world peace, and to help the poor and downtrodden than anyone. Isn't that what leaders are supposed to do? [/quote]I never said that what Carter did AFTER his presidency(sp) was bad, I said he sucked as a Prez. And just for the record, I DID shit on a Republican Prez when I made the comment about the impeached presidents being at the bottom of the list when it came to ranking. ( I put down Nixon who was a Republican). I think Carters heart is in the right place, but he is to damn smart for his own good. Utopia will never exist and its not in Cuba, North Korea or any other State ruled by a DICTATOR.

Actually, the whole REASON Carter was not a good President is BECAUSE he's a good guy. He didn't get along with the sharks in Washington, and if you don't get in bed with them, you can't get anything done. Which is why most decent human beings never even get that far in politics in the first place, and nowadays most would not even try to run for office.

Well, C.M., you were right about ONE thing: there have been two United States Presidents who have been impeached. However, you were wrong about WHO they were. They were Bill Clinton and Andrew Johnson. Richard Nixon resigned before he could be impeached. He is the only person to ever resign from the office.

That dude is dead...and quite scary looking. As to the whole "good president/bad president" off-off topic issue...it's impossible to say, really, unless you REALLY dig deep. Most people tend to bend things to fit their perception. Some people tell you to base a good president/term on how "good" your life was. Others tell you to look at events that happened during that time. HOGWASH! All of it! A guy comes up to you and gives you a thousand dollars. Was this a good thing or a bad thing? If the guy runs a legitimate charity, it's good. If he scammed a bunch of seniors and slipped you a G to make himself feel better, it's not good. Right? In any case, you'll say it was good because it came at just the right time. Without knowing all the pieces to the puzzle and how they interact and what affects what, it's all just armchair political analyzing (which is just fine, and quite American Earthian). Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Bunny , I think you KILLED me on that one. Its funny how both men were impeached and neither resigned from office but Nixon resign before he could be impeached. I must say that Bunny got me with my flame suite in the closet, I GOT BURNED. PS I got your PM , but after this thread , I think I'll turn my PM back off. :D

Archived