Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI voices

Frayo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Frayo:

Is there any way I could change my MIDI voices? You know like installing a new MIDI driver?

Even though your question is worded strangely, I think the answer is yes, there are software equivalents of GM synths. There is a Virtual Sound Canvas made by Roland, and there's a slew of softsamplers and soundfont players.

In other words, I am looking for a free equivalent to Yamaha XG-20, or 50

Free? Not likely. Well, you could try to cull together all of the XG voices from various free soundfont sites, then find the appropriate soundfont player that will accept the correct program change messages, and then make sure that this will be called up by the program that you are using. I'd rather spend the <$100 for the virtual Soundcanvas or, better yet, just buy a new soundcard...we are talking PC here, right?

"For instance" is not proof.

nope...a laptop.

Im am like one of those guys you see in M Audios advertisements in Keyboard Magazine... Laptop, huge headphones, MIDI controller :)

I meant PC as in "Mac or PC", but since you have a laptop, my original post stands.

"For instance" is not proof.

Ah I have a PC.

I know you probobly meant PC versus Mac...

But also some people (like those in my computer engineering program) would have meant PC versus Notebook.

I have found the Yamaha SYXG 50 to be useful. The demo workd great, but the full version $50. I have the full version on CD, but its for Windows 98 and not XP.

"When all you have is a hammer, everything else starts to look like a nail"

AIM: RaiyoKun

EMAIL: frayo@earthlink.net

www.livejournal.com/users/frayo

nope...a laptop.

Im am like one of those guys you see in M Audios advertisements in Keyboard Magazine... Laptop, huge headphones, MIDI controller :)

... if so... then you SHOULD BE using Reason :D

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

The MIDI driver is what enables your PC to play MIDI, you're asking about different sound banks. That's what he meant about your question being worded strangely. And, for free, he is correct, the best you could do would be to look for free soundfonts. However, there is some commercial software that has freeware versions: IK Multimedia's SampleTank Free, and a free version of Acid, among others. Give those a try, but Gus Lozada made a good point: you really should check out Reason. Or at the least, Arturia Storm or Fruity Loops (FL Studio, or whatever they call it now). Once you've bought Reason, you also have access to a lot of additional sounds that are posted on the net.

have found the Yamaha SYXG 50 to be useful. The demo workd great, but the full version $50. I have the full version on CD, but it's for Windows 98 and not XP.
If it works for 98, it will work on XP. Ignore the "Not certified" message XP displays when you install it. That just means someone didn't sit in one of Uncle Bill's labs in Redmond and test the software.

Ignore the "Not certified" message XP displays when you install it. That just means someone didn't sit in one of Uncle Bill's labs in Redmond and test the software.

And cough up lots of $$$ for the privilege. Almost everything that runs in 98 will run in XP; if it gives you an error message about the OS being unsupported, then find the "setup.exe" for the installer, right-click on it to get compatibility mode options, and select "Win 98". You may have to copy the setup folder to your hard drive to do this. This will trick the installer into thinking it's in Win 98. I got Micro Logic to install that way, and it wouldn't install on anything above Win 95.

Check around the KvR website for a free SampleFont player. You probably want something that works in stand alone mode. They are out there, and so are plenty of free sound fonts.

You might start by checking out SFZ by RGCAudio. It seems to be a nice Sound Font player and is free. RGC:Audio makes good stuff and also offers an expanded version, SFZ+ for $60.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It installs just fine, only when I run it it gets a message that says "You need Windows 95 or later to run this program"

Again, that's what the compatibility mode will do for you. Find the .exe file on your hard drive, right-click on it, and in the menu that comes up go to the compatibility settings. There you can set it to run in Win 95 emulation mode, which should take care of that error message. If it really gives you a hard time, you can try an internet search on getting programs to run in compatibility mode in XP. There are some detailed guides out there. I find ask.com to be a good search engine for that kind of query.

Archived