Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Video Game Music Sounds

Frayo

http://batman.jypoly.fi/%7Ec2236/mock.wmv

Like those:

Any clues how to produce them?

Im talking about the music in the games. The sounds are so awsome, yet I know nothing of how they are produced. What keyboards back then could make those sounds? What keyboards today can make those sounds?

There is a synth solo of a "Video game lead" in Number One by Chaz Jankel (from the 1985 movie Real Genious)

"When all you have is a hammer, everything else starts to look like a nail"

AIM: RaiyoKun

EMAIL: frayo@earthlink.net

www.livejournal.com/users/frayo

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use any analogue synthesizer and record it in a 10kHz, 8 bit sampling mode.

You can also use modern equipment. Alesis has some devices for reducing recording quality into a vintage sound: the Bitrman & Fidelity.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

If you're using Reason, there's a free Refill of Commodore64 sounds. (IIRC, that's what the SidStation is). I'm pretty sure it's posted on Propellerheads' web site. There are a lot of samples out there of sounds from video games, often they're in special FX collections, so a Google search will get you there, thouch you'll have to do some sifting.

there's also two sample cds ive seen, one called 8 bit stylez or something similar.. that one sounded lik eit was a SID sample CD, and i think discovery firm has one of moreuhmm.. vintage arcade type sounds... more nintendo then commodore 64 sounding.

Archived