Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

STRANGE monitor switch box story! (?)

this is weird..... anyway long story short...i have two computers in my setup, a mac and "one of those other-computers". the mac has 2 - 17" monitors, the pc had a 14" monitor. there has never been anywhere to put the stupid pc monitor so it has always been in the way, on the floor, behind something etc basically useless and taking up space. so i thought it would be a good idea to use my "MIX" monitor on the mac to switch back between the mac and pc. the "EDIT" monitor remains always-mac. so i bought a switch box and cables (big heavy thick cable$$) and went to work. heres where it got weird: 1. first thing i did was too hook up the box between a dual866/g4, flatscreen viewsonic monitor, and a pc (not my rig but we want to have a switch box on that one too, so i was testing). that worked like crap. the pc worked and looked GREAT with the viewsonic, but setting the mac at anything greater than 640*480 was "ghost and blurry city". basically unusable. dissapointed, i hooked it into my setup next. 2. i hooked it up to my protools box on the MIX monitor (left side). pc looked fine, mac didnt ghost but was blurry and hard to use - just enough to drive a person crazy but not enough to immediatly notice. HHMMM. both of the macs i hooked up to the onboard video, i wonder if that might be a problem, because... 3. i then hooked the switch box up to my OTHER monitor output on the mac, an ixmicro PCI card. THIS WORKS! isnt that strange? neither pc had a problem with the switchbox, one with a $5 video card, the other with onboard video. both mac monitor outputs resulted in ghosting and blurry. swithcing the mac to the ixmicro card results in images that are equal to not having the switchbox hooked up. i find this very odd, what the heck is wrong with the mac outputs? surely they are better than a $5 pc card?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(Rosanne Rosannadanna voice:) Like my daddy used to say, if it's not one thing, it's [i]another[/i]! If a cheap, lousy, Microsoft driven PC looks beautiful that's not enough! It THEN has to make the poor, little, Macintosh look bad, to boot! :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

no, they both booted before. i havent started in about the stoopid pc yet, but i am havin a time wit'it! the two mac monitors when both selected to mac work fine. switch the one over to PC and i get scan lines on both of them. the pc wont run at the right scan rate, no matter what. 72 makes the scan lines go away, but the screen is way off in the corner- unusable. so i get scan lines when i run the monitor on a pc. RRR! (like i am going to put a new video card in that POS -right)

Coaster- See? Get a PC.. It Just Works(tm). Seriously though i sometimes wonder about the integrity of mac equipment lately. Yes there are a lot of PCs that are filled with junk too, but i always thought the schtick on a mac was "they cost more, but the parts are top notch". Last time i opened a mac up and looked inside, i started to wonder if it's a thing of the past. I dunno. And i'm not getting on your mac's case or anything. Just calling it like i see it. Otherwise, i'll have to get all UNIX on you.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

The only thing I can think of is the KVM AGP format isn't totally compatible with your Mac.I'm building a PC for my Mac freind and am curious as to wether a KVM would work between the 2.I don't know much yet but I'll keep an eye out and post here when I find out.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Most KVM Manufacturers make specific cabling for integrating Mac and PC to a single KVM so this problem does not happen. I get the impression you were not using these, which would be the cause of the issue. I cannot give you specifics why, but that's what you need. we have a Mac and PC connected to a Belkin KVM with the proper cabling and have no issues. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Archived