Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

80s Depeche Mode...

Frayo

I am an avid 80s junkie and I have listened to hordes of Depeche Mode. I was wondering, does anyone have an idea of what kinds of keyboards they use? Do you know what kind of keyboards today make these sounds??

"When all you have is a hammer, everything else starts to look like a nail"

AIM: RaiyoKun

EMAIL: frayo@earthlink.net

www.livejournal.com/users/frayo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Mid to late 80's ,they used Emu Emax extensively.

Not just a sampler ,as you know ,and today you may be able to recreate the Transform Multiplication function on any Emu sampler,really.

But then you would need to have the original samples used by D.Mode .So it's a non-starter,

me thinks.

Early on in their humble beginnings they did start with lot's of Sequential Pro Ones,if my memory serves me right.

Originally posted by Frayo:

I am an avid 80s junkie and I have listened to hordes of Depeche Mode. I was wondering, does anyone have an idea of what kinds of keyboards they use? Do you know what kind of keyboards today make these sounds??

Is not what they use, but HOW they use it. I'm an 80s junkie, too. Represent! :cool:

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Good point. The sound in particular is the harsh metallic sound from Master and Servant (1984?). It isnt a DX-7 I dont think. I have a DX-7 and use it all the time, and I have yet to hear anything remotely like that come out of it...

"When all you have is a hammer, everything else starts to look like a nail"

AIM: RaiyoKun

EMAIL: frayo@earthlink.net

www.livejournal.com/users/frayo

"Master and Servant" was on Some Great Reward, which used a bunch of samples of banging on metal and such (I'm assuming using E-MU Emax's). Later, on Music for the Masses, DMs sampling moved on to vocal samples.

There is an extended technical article on Alan Wilder's Recoil site www.recoil.co.uk that covers some DM (I'll dig up exactly how to get to it) and may have more info on the gear. DM also has a pretty deep site. I'll see what I can find.

Hi Frayo!

Synths used by Depeche Mode:

Moog Source, Moog Minimoog, MIDI Moog

Arp 2600, Arp Odyssey

PPG Wave 2.0, PPG Wave 2.3

Roland Promars, Roland SH-1,

Roland System-100M, Roland System-700

Roland Jupiter 8, Roland Juno 106

Roland JD 800, Roland JV 1080, Roland JP-8000

Roland A-50, Roland A-90

Korg DW 8000, Korg Wavestation, Korg 01W/ProX

Korg Prophesy, Korg Trinity

Acces Virus

Yamaha CS5,Yamaha CS80, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha DX7II

Yamaha CS6X, Yamaha CS2X

Emulator 1,Emulator 2 & Emulator 3

Emax 1HD, Emax 2, Emax 2Turbo

Oberheim 4-Voice, Oberheim OB8, Oberheim Matrix12

Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000

Sequential Circuits ProOne

Akai S900, Akai S1000, Akai S1100 Akai S3000, Akai CD3000, Akai S3200XL, Akai S5000

Akai MX1000

Clavia Nord Lead

Waldorf Wave

Kurzweil K2000R

Native Instruments Reaktor

And a lot more for sure :-))

All the best

JesperDK

Interesting point, though - I've been a DM fan since 1985 or so, and it strikes me that they don't really make a big deal out of their gear lists. Most interviews are about songwriting and stuff. In fact, it wasn't until Ultra that I remember any big article that had gear lists (and I think that was due to Tim Simenon's involvement, and then Mark Bell when they were working on Exciter).

After all, it's what you do with the gear - not what gear you use... right?

Originally posted by felix.:

Interesting point, though - I've been a DM fan since 1985 or so, and it strikes me that they don't really make a big deal out of their gear lists. Most interviews are about songwriting and stuff. In fact, it wasn't until Ultra that I remember any big article that had gear lists (and I think that was due to Tim Simenon's involvement, and then Mark Bell when they were working on Exciter).

After all, it's what you do with the gear - not what gear you use... right?

Excellent point Felix. :)

Archived