Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are Sample based systems really the way to go?

JT3_Jon

I was wondering if someone can give me some good options for a hardware based sample setup (I really dont think my poor ibook 600MHz G3 can handle a software based system: it can only expand to 640MB ram). Since this will likely be a mix between my cash and a holiday present, it can be an "intermediate system," which will hopefully sound substantially better then my current Roland setup (JV-1010 w/ Orchestral expansion card) with plenty of room to grow into a semiprofessional piece of equipment (dont want another "get me by for school" setup).

Any advice would be appreciated on this topic, for I dont really have a clue on how to get started in my research. I feel its time to switch from being a "MIDI Man" into the ability to produce a professional sounding film scoring demo, and sample based systems seem to be the choice of industry professionals.

To listen to what I have already produced with my limited system and to give you a better idea on how I need to advance my quality of audio, please visit my Demo Site: http://www.avartists.com

Once again, thanks in advice for your advice and help. Its people helping people that makes this world a better place to live, and I truly appreciate your time!

Jonathan Timpe

JT3 Music Technology Workshop

P.S. I initially posted this topic in the "David Frangioni: Studio Tech" forum. Can someone let me know where the proper place for the post would be?

http://www.shopjt3.com Music Technology Workshop

Drop me a line and tell me what ya think!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dementia, that is one cool avatar. Samara with an Oxygen8. "Before you die, you hear the ring mod..."

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by dementia13:

I posted this on another thread the other day, but I'll repeat it here: this company has 1GB memory upgrades that will work in iBooks. Next time, it's your turn to pass this on.

Too bad that the 1GB upgrade only works for the new G4 ibooks. My G3 will only take one 512k, thus making it a 640MB maximum.

Thanks for the link anyway, and I'll make sure to pass it on to those in need.

http://www.shopjt3.com Music Technology Workshop

Drop me a line and tell me what ya think!!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how a hardware based system can ever beat a software system ever again, when it comes to samples. I have a yamaha sampler with 128 mb, but I really wanna go mac with softsamplers. Is 640 mb really that bad Jon?

What kind of project do you do? Complete multitimbral orchestral parts, or pop-string arrangements?

Think before you think before you speak

Archived