Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A good web site for song charts?

RABid

Since I dont get to play in bands anymore I think that I may create a few virtual sets on CD to play along with. It has been a long time since I learned a bunch of songs by ear, and my ear never was very good at pulling chords out of dense music. Does anyone know a good place to find song charts in just chord form? I dont need transcribed music, just confirmation of chord structure for a quick start.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not exactly sure what your looking for but a good fake book comes in handy. You asked for a web site though I know. I really only need the cord structure of songs also as I can usually pick out the melody. You didn't say what kind of music you were looking for either. I like to play oldies. And I mean oldies. If you like the standards, I like the site www.theguitarguy.com. He has just the lyrics and chords in a nice format that's easy to print out. There are many guitar tab sites that you can use for keyboard also that have past and mostly current music. One site is Guitar Universe www.guitartabs.cc/ but there's lots of others too. I can find most any song I want with just these two sites alone. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Chuck

Let It Be

Thanks, I will check these. And welcome to the forum. I don't usually have any trouble with melodies, leads or bass. It is chords that I tend to make too complex. As for type of music, songs that get played in cover bands from 1970's until now. From recent ballads such as "Anytime" to old organ grinders like "Hold Your Head Up".

The last time I learned 40 songs in a hurry I just put chord progressions on index cards. No timing information, just wrote the verse, break and chorus on different lines. That is about all I am looking for.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Check out Harmony Central for some good chord tablature and a search feature for same. Most of it is guitar centric, but I've been able to grab some chords off of there to get me through in a pinch.

One night, I received a call 10 min before I left for the gig, saying "Hey, you know '50 Ways' by Paul Simon, right?" I had never played it, but grabbed the guitar tab off of Harmony Central and made it through the song fine that night.

Just don't start asking us for the Van Halen "I'll Wait" tab. We'll have to beat you senseless with a Nord Lead (old jokes combined).

Regards,

Eric

I usually just do a google search - it will search a lot of the tab sites. I then make my own based on what I find and listening to the song. I do this all the time for my duet - I like to keep a library of potential songs with chord charts + lyrics, so we can run thru the songs when we feel like it.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived