Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iBook question...

analogman1

Hi folks...

I'm considering one of the new iBooks...but I hear so many issues with OS-X...should I see if Apple will do an install of 9.0 as well?? Is it possible to run 2 OS's on this computer??

Thanks in advance....

Big T from NY

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not 100% certian, but I don't believe you can load OS9 on the new iBooks.

What "issues" have you heard of? I run OSX exclusively on two Macs in professional use every day and have no show-stopping problems. Most of my "issues", if one were to call them that, can be traced to stuff I beta test, but then that's to be expected.

What software do you plan to run?

The iBook G4 is NOT bootable in OS 9. Just forget about it. I think when you do your homework and get the good hardware and apps together, you can't go wrong with OS X (I would rather see OS 9 in the trashcan!). But there are some problem manufacturers like NI...

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Thanks so far...well, I would like to run virtual synths, like the NI stuff, in live performances...also, I'd like to put in a simple audio recorder (to simulate a digital deck, that's it) so I can demo my tunes. I really want to avoid complicated software like Cubase or Logic...I find it just distracts me. Besides, I always enjoy going to a professional studio, and working with a competent engineer...someone who does this every day and could give good suggestions to me. So it's really just to get my tunes "on tape" (disk).

But boy, would I *LOVE* to take out that laptop and slam the crowd with a virtaul Propehet 5 or b-3!

Big T

Tom

As a follow up to my reply, I've also considered abandoning the idea of a laptop completely, and going the digital deck route (I had a Korg D-1600 that was a no-brainer to use, and NEVER crashed!).

Big T

Tom

Archived