Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OSX - Audio MIDI setup problem

Dave Bryce

Okay, I'm bummin' a bit...

Unless I'm missing something somewhere, the Audio MIDI setup utility doesn't seem to have a provision to save setups...or load them, for that matter.

Why this is bumming me out: I have two networked MTPs - an MTP-AV and an older MTP-II. The older one needs a battery, and consequently needs to be manually switched to be ports 9-16 and told that it's networked to another MTP every time I turn it on. If I forget to do that and boot up either Logic or DP, Audio MIDI setup promptly forgets all my synth assignments for ports 9-16 (and no, scanning the ports after I've switched the MTP to 9-16 doesn't make it relearn them - all that does is make it see the MTP). :(

I have about 15 synths connected to the MTP II, and it's kind of a drag to have to redo all of my connections if I forget this procedure. I know, I know, I should get a new battery for the MTP, but that's not a good answer. Suppose I only want to work with one side of my studio (as is often the case)....

The bottom line is that is there were a way to save an Audio MIDI setup doc somehwere, I would just be able to reload it...assuming that there were a load command as well... :rolleyes:

Mayber I'm just used to the old FreeMIDI utility that worked with DP...that let me save and load multiple setups...

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Am I just missing something obvious?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In AMS, under the "MIDI Devices" tab, click on the "configuration" dropdown menu. Here you can edit your current config, or create a new one. These get stored in your AMS prefs file.

Once you've created a few setups, they appear in the dropdown and you can select the one you need. :thu:

Originally posted by bleen:

Once you've created a few setups, they appear in the dropdown and you can select the one you need. :thu:

Okay..so if I make a dupliucate copy of my setup, then I'll have a backup of sorts. Thanks, Don.

BTW - it still seems a bit odd to me that the setup gets modified and automatically saved by what I described above....wouldn't it be a better idea to let me save my configuration for recall whenever I want? If I do make a backup and the first one gets corrupted, it'll still need to be manually restored. That kinda sucks...

Plus, to do a backup/second configuration, I'll have to redesign the whole configuration from scratch. When you've got over 20 synths, that can be a bit of a drag...

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

BTW - it still seems a bit odd to me that the setup gets modified and automatically saved by what I described above....wouldn't it be a better idea to let me save my configuration for recall whenever I want? If I do make a backup and the first one gets corrupted, it'll still need to be manually restored. That kinda sucks...

Agreed. I'd prefer to have the old "CMD+S, pick a name and a destination" way of saving these things, too - you can always copy the prefs file once you have your configs done for safe keeping, so should anything get corrupt, you can drag it back and restore your settings.

You can find the settings in "~/Users/YourName/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations/"

Plus, to do a backup/second configuration, I'll have to redesign the whole configuration from scratch. When you've got over 20 synths, that can be a bit of a drag...
Why not duplicate the current config (this is under that same dropdown menu), rename and then modify the copy? Seems that would be much easier than starting from scratch, no? :thu:

Agreed. I'd prefer to have the old "CMD+S, pick a name and a destination" way of saving these things, too - you can always copy the prefs file once you have your configs done for safe keeping, so should anything get corrupt, you can drag it back and restore your settings.

You can find the settings in "~/Users/YourName/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations/"

Hmmm...I'm still so new to OSX, I'm not really clear on this. Drag the pref? Where?

I'm just so used to the OS9 FreeMIDI thing, where if it lost the back eight, all I'd have to do is rescan the port and it'd not only find the interface, it'd restore all the connections.

It seems odd to me that a (more that) five year old version of FreeMIDI can handle that, and an essentially state-of-the-art program can't...

quote:Why not duplicate the current config (this is under that same dropdown menu), rename and then modify the copy? Seems that would be much easier than starting from scratch, no? :idea:

Also, when I switch betrween the two, the program loses the other MTP... of course, it finds the other MTP when I scan the ports, but (you guessed it) all the connections vanish. :mad:

I assume I'm missing something else...maybe I need to trash the current prefs?

Plus, I just quite AMS and restarted it, and (you guessed it) the MTP II had vanished again, even though the MTP II is on and properly configured...

I'm not digging this...however, I am getting to the point where I can redraw my connections from memory in under 15 seconds... ;)

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Hmmm...I'm still so new to OSX, I'm not really clear on this. Drag the pref? Where?

Anywhere - just Option+drag it to a folder, say called "Prefs Backups" in case you need it.

I'm just so used to the OS9 FreeMIDI thing, where if it lost the back eight, all I'd have to do is rescan the port and it'd not only find the interface, it'd restore all the connections.

It seems odd to me that a (more that) five year old version of FreeMIDI can handle that, and an essentially state-of-the-art program can't...

I can appreciate your frustration (I dug FreeMIDI when I used it, as well) - I think what will have to happen is for someone to create a more "pro" version of AMS, maybe even Doug Wyatt himself (former Opcode dood and current author of AMS) that does all the things we've come to expect.

Grab yourself a subscription to the Core Audio Developers list and make a request for these kinds of features - you'd find that Doug, Bill Stewart and the other Apple guys are quite receptive to these kinds of suggestions.

I looked for that earlier...I didin't find that option - all I saw was New Configuration and Edit Configuration. I just looked again, and discovered that if you select Edit Configuration, it gives you the option to duplicate the current one.

Perhaps it might be a better idea to put that one level up on the main pulldown...

Yeah, definitely better to have the option from the start - sorry I didn't make that a little more clear in my post... :(:freak:

Also, when I switch betrween the two, the program loses the other MTP... of course, it finds the other MTP when I scan the ports, but (you guessed it) all the connections vanish. :mad:
Ick. Large balls of supersuck. :eek:

I assume I'm missing something else...maybe I need to trash the current prefs?
Well, since you're now such a pro at redrawing your connections, that's not a terrible idea :D - at least you'll start with a clean slate....

Plus, I just quite AMS and restarted it, and (you guessed it) the MTP II had vanished again, even though the MTP II is on and properly configured...

I'm not digging this...however, I am getting to the point where I can redraw my connections from memory in under 15 seconds... ;)

Well, it sounds like you're discovering the joys and limitations of AMS - yes, it's freakin' cool to have a system-level MIDI driver that allows you to configure your rig and work properly; but....there are some shortcomings that don't fully address what folks with large rigs may need support for. Let the fine folks at Apple know what needs to change! :thu:

Let the fine folks at Apple know what needs to change! :thu:

That would be the idea behind this thread. I've already notified my favorite Apple employee... I imagine he'll make sure the right folks get this... ;)

I really appreciate your help, Don. Thanks! :thu:

dB

Archived