Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Preparing anything for Holidays ? Music wise

Dan O

Anyone have some special music your working on for an upcoming holiday event ?

I'm busy on Sundays with leading a contempory service ( I perform all the music + sing) . But I'm working on some new arrangements , styles, grooves for a Christmas Eve service .

Anyone else ?

Maybe I can post mp3's of Holiday stuff were working on? Dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dano,

We're just getting started with the Christmas music here. I'll be playing three masses again this year for two different churches, one on Christmas Eve and two on Christmas morning.

The Christmas Eve mass has the most music because of a 30-45 minute prelude we do. Most of it is traditional (religious themed) Christmas carols, with a few other hymns and such thrown in. Hopefully this year we'll get a chance to do a couple of instrumental medleys which we cut last year due to time restrictions. We'll start rehearsing early next month.

One song I would love to try is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra instrumental "Christmas Eve - Sarajevo 12/24". But I doubt it will happen. Even if I could pull off an arrangement without electric guitars and drums, I still think it's a little too rock 'n roll for our church. Oh well.

-Chris

My wife has 6 siblings, and with their significant others and children, we've got enough to do the "Twelve Days of Christmas". None of them can carry a tune, so it should be hilarious. I was going to bring a little DAT recorder and metronome to Thanksgiving dinner and record each of them singing it all the way through so I could edit it later. This is going to be a Christmas gift for my mother-in-law.

Things got simultaneously easier and harder when I found out today that WE'RE hosting Thanksgiving, so each person can sneak down to my studio.

I'm sequencing and tracking the parts now. Extremely Salvation Army-ish.

"For instance" is not proof.

I have a whole bunch of general biz gigs in December with my funk band, Phat Albert. We typically do our usual show and have not yet added any Holiday funk songs, but I suppose the opportunity exists...we do brush off Ald Lang Syne and we have a little bit of a funked up version of that for New Years.

As for solo piano, I occasionally have a couple of chances at these corporate parties to play some light music and I like to have a bit of Holiday music ready, just in case. I have an old book of jazzy arrangements that I've had since high school and I polish up on those, namely a version of Silent Night that is great. I also break out the Peanuts Christmas book with all those excellent and now ubiquitous Guaraldi tunes. I don't have these committed to memory, but that would be a nice goal.

Regards,

Eric

Lots and lots, Dano. I'm gigging daily - and will be adding the holiday tunes after Thanksgiving, but the big news is my holiday concert on Dec. 13th up here in Stanwood, WA. It's a benefit concert for Housing Hope, a wonderful Snohomish County charitable organization that helps folks in transition (meaning, lost their homes/jobs/needing help of all kinds).

The show is being held at the Performing Arts Center which was just built at the Stanwood HS, and is an absolutely incredible, state-of-the-art venue, surprisingly enough. It's mostly my show, but there will be some special guests from the school and community, so it should be a pretty fun evening. I'm really looking forward to it.

If you're interested, I'll put my program/setlist up once we finalize it - you might be surprised at some of the songs (they're not all the standard holiday tunes).

Wishing everyone a GREAT Thanksgiving - and a good start to the holiday season '03.

Thanks for letting me share.

lz

I pulled out a bunch of previously recorded tunes to remix and fix up (now that I've got the HP on my machine to do what I wanted to do with them). I'm also recording "Do You Hear What I Hear" for the season. I'll post a link to the Christmas tunes part of my site when I get them posted.

Mid October, I had a request to arrange/produce a CD containing 10 public domain Christmas songs. They are to be done in a smooth jazz style and run between 2 - 3 minutes in length. With all the other projects I've got going on at the same time, it's been a little nuts getting it done, but today I start on song # 10 and tomorrow I'll start mixing the 10 and get it completed by Monday. I'll be so glad when I'm done. The Cd is for a rather large client of mine that is going to give these out as Xmas gifts to their clients and then will end up being used as production music for stations during the holidays latter on. I wish I could have used some different tunes, some of the stuff from the 40's would have been so much fun to work with.

Originally posted by eric:

As for solo piano, I occasionally have a couple of chances at these corporate parties to play some light music and I like to have a bit of Holiday music ready, just in case. I have an old book of jazzy arrangements that I've had since high school and I polish up on those, namely a version of Silent Night that is great. I also break out the Peanuts Christmas book with all those excellent and now ubiquitous Guaraldi tunes. I don't have these committed to memory, but that would be a nice goal.

Regards,

Eric

I just busted out the Vince Guaraldi book, those are my favorite Christmas piano songs. I like the jazzy arrangements.

I've always wanted to find a jazzy solo piano arrangement of "Have Yourself a Merry little Christmas". Does anyone know of one?

Archived