Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ahem .. SUNDAY: Count Basie Appreciation Day

¾

This cat could play.

In later years, he became the watchful bandleader, sometimes only adding two notes to a song. But those two notes would be the perfect two notes to play.

But when I listen to "One O'Clock Jump" or any of his early stuff . . . I sit amazed. Basie crossed over from the early, clunky style of Ragtime playing into a very smooth, very swift and passionate Jazz/Bop/R&B style that would ripple down through Monk, Ellington and Ray Charles as well as Bill Evans and Chick Corea.

Count Basie could mop the floor with Ben Folds, and still get back to cue his sax section.

Pretty hip guy.

I can't get enough of his playing, in any incarnation.

the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that's correct, only seven Appreciation threads per week. Any more would be just too much, right?

Seven of these a week is pretty good. Good god man, did you mean you want more appreciation threads? I say! That's a bit dirty cricket, whot?

Unless of course if you want take over the afternoon shift? I say! That would be super! Yes, by all means good man. Spot on! Great idea, whot!

Okay then, who do you have in mind for the Sunday Afternoon Apreciation Thread? Or was that to be a surprise? Because I love surprises. Okay! I won't say another word. Go on, surprise us then.

the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

Count Basie

Paul Gonsalves... Freddie Green... Harry Edison... Buck Clayton... Jimmy Rushing... Joe Williams... J.J. Johnson... Illinois Jacquet... BILLIE HOLIDAY.

Count Basie

Those understated, wishpered introductions where the piano sets the mood with a couple of bluesy notes, then the whole orchestra hits you in the face with all its power!

Count Basie

No charts. Wow!!

Count Basie

Oscar Peterson said he was scared by his piano playing! (They made a couple of duo recordings)

I have a few transcriptions of his piano solos, and they're not easy at all to play. The man was a monster pianist.

Count Basie!! :D:D:D

Originally posted by marino:

Oscar Peterson said he was scared by his piano playing! (They made a couple of duo recordings)

I used to have "Satch and Josh", with Peterson and Basie. It was hilarious, awe inspiring, and instructive to hear them trading 4s, with Peterson's cascading waterfalls of sound paired with Basie's sparse, perfectly placed notes.

Moe

Moe

---

Playing in big bands that play a bunch of Nestico charts, you really can't overplay in that setting... Basie had the greatest sense of economy and space.

The duo albums with OP are great too. The liner notes to one say "If you can't tell who's who, you shouldn't be listening to the record!"

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Archived