Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Win2K or WinXP? What's the latest?

Well, I lost a power supply, motherboard and hard drive due to electrical problems. Before I reload and register everything on my newly rebuilt computer I would like to know the latest on the 2K vs. XP debate. Which of these two are currently considered the best for the programs I use? I had been using Win2K Pro. If I am going to update to XP this is the time. Sonar II XL with DirectiXer VSTi wrapper. Various soft synths including most everything from NI, Tassman, PhatMatic Pro, SonicSynth and more. FruityLoops Reason Acid 4 Pro SoundForge 5 Hardware is a P4 2.4 1 Gig 266 MHz DDR PC2100 memory. Audiophile 24/96 soundcard Secondary drive for samples and recording My goal is running VST's in Sonar with the least latency possible and using Sonar to create finished, amature projects. Thanks for any suggestions. Robert
This post edited for speling.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Sal Ami: [b]If you go XP make sure to use a cracked version, or your computer is controlled by MS.[/b][/quote]I never install anything else.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by Rabid: [b]Well, I lost a power supply, motherboard and hard drive due to electrical problems. Before I reload and register everything on my newly rebuilt computer I would like to know the latest on the 2K vs. XP debate. Thanks for any suggestions. Robert[/b][/quote]More importantly, what kind of UPS are you going to buy to prevent the new rig from dying? I've been using Smart-UPS for the last three years and all three units have been flawless. Oh, and by the way... XP Pro. (Home doesn't support dual processors.) Yours in Music, Ben Fury

Yours in Music,

Ben Fury

Thanks. I'm installing XP Pro now. I had a case, motherboard, CPU and memory that I was going to use to rebuild this computer, which is my GigaStudio computer. I had to go get a HD but at least I was "sort of" ready for this crash. I guess now it will be a while befor I can consider getting rid of this P3. You know, I have an old, smaller UPS that I was using before my computer evolved to the point that it sucked too much power for the little unit. I now use it for my keyboards. Maybe I should ask for a new, bigger UPS for Christmas. They are much cheaper now then they were 5 years ago when I bought the old one. I will not even consider the thought of not having a good UPS on my computer at my day job. Hmmm. Guess I know where my tax return will go. Thanks for the heads up Ben. Robert
This post edited for speling.

I use Win 2K with the Iradicator(no explorer)on a dedicated DAW.This is the fastest and most reliable machine Iv'e ever used(pat myself on the back :D ).I get 1.5ms with M-Audio with WDM/Sonar.I'll consider XP when the 64 bit Hammers are out and audio apps are supporting it and I see an advantage,until then I have absolutley no interest in XP.Since memory management,WDM integration,file handeling show no benifit or improvement in XP to me,XP represents nothing more than an even more bloated Win 2K.Maybe when I'm interested with controlling my PC with a remote and the XP Lite is ready.Don't get me wrong,XP and 2K are solid and are both NT based,but at the moment I can't think of any advantages over what I'm using at the moment,quite the contrary.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by Rabid: [b]this computer, which is my GigaStudio computer. Robert[/b][/quote]Ah, Gigastudio, special case. Now the answer is... NEITHER! Read the posts on the TASCAM Giga board. People are reporting not even being able to open sessions done on 98 in XP. Waaay higher track counts in 98. Something to do with the NT engine hogging RAM I gather. Yours in Music, Ben Fury

Yours in Music,

Ben Fury

Either Win 2k with Service Pack 3 or XP with Service Pack 1 will do just great! The two should perform damn near the same or at least they do on my systems. XP has better graphics and the text is easier to read on LCD displays than Win 2000, FWIW. XP will probably be the cheapest route too.

[quote]Originally posted by Dr. Flaven: [b]Either Win 2k with Service Pack 3 or XP with Service Pack 1 [/b][/quote]If you want to use Win 2K as a dedicated DAW only SP1 will work with the Iradicator,you must download the seperate SP2 and SP3 updates minus Explorer updates seperately.That is if you want a screamingly fast machine.If you plan on using internet on the same machine then just download the service packs and sign up for bloataholics anonymous. :D

Well, if you already have W2k, then there isn't any point in upgrading to XP -- there aren't enough advantages. W2k does have a 10 MIDI port limitation, though, so you might want to take that into consideration. GigaStudio? No problems. It just works. I do like XP a lot. W2k, even though it is much better than previous versions of Windows, still has a slight self-destruct syndrome. XP I think is more stable. It also looks a heck of a lot better! As for the copy protection, big deal. You register and that's that. I find that the stupid Pace protection that comes with plugins is much more trouble. I'm always fighting with it. I feel like Antares owns my computer way more than Microsoft! Just my 2c. Shayne
Discover Human Music by Shayne White at: http://www.shaynesworld.com

[quote]Originally posted by Shayne White: [b] W2k, still has a slight self-destruct syndrome. [/b][/quote]I'd have to say that's system/component specific.A year and a half later and I haven't experienced a single problem yet with 2K.

[quote]Originally posted by Shayne White: [b] As for the copy protection, big deal. You register and that's that. I find that the stupid Pace protection that comes with plugins is much more trouble. I'm always fighting with it. I feel like Antares owns my computer way more than Microsoft! [/b][/quote]I've got to tell you, if only it were as simple as copy protection I would not have nearly as much of a problem with it. No big deal for you [i]yet[/i] since you perhaps haven't had any problems, yet. Just wait until Palladium arrives. Will that be a big enough deal?

quoted by Sal Mineo [quote] If you go XP make sure to use a cracked version, or your computer is controlled by MS. [/quote]Does cracked mean a version not supplied originaly from MS?
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

[quote]Originally posted by Nawledge: [b]What is iradicator, and how does one use it?[/b][/quote]The Iradicator is a free utility from the people who make 98 lite [url=http://www.litepc.com/.]www.litepc.com/.[/url] Actually it's called the IEradicator.The IEradicator removes the Internet Explorer from your OS nearly doubling your response and overall speed.This is reccommended if your PC is dedicated for Daw and is not hooked up for internet purpouses.The Iradicator only works with Win 98 and Win 2000 with SP1,you'll have to hunt down and download SP2 updates minus Explorer updates seperately(ie:Dir-X 80a ect.).Lite XP/2000 or the Iradicator doesn't work with XP as of yet but will soon.Unlike the IEradicator,Lite XP/2000 will remove more than the explorer while the Iradicator just removes the explorer(the main 50 pound dead weight).To use the IEradicator just click it on and reeboot.The IEradicator is free.

I'm running SP1 on my Win2K DAW and I don't use it for the Internet...so I wouldn't mind removing IE...but I just want to be sure it's OK to use the IEradicator for Win2K. I'm looking at the litepc.com site right now... ...and they list only Win98 ans Win 98SE for use with the IEradicator will work on...no mention of Win2K...? http://www.litepc.com/download.html

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

[quote]Originally posted by miroslav: [b].but I just want to be sure it's OK to use the IEradicator for Win2K. [/b][/quote]Miroslov,if your having no problems with SP1 and don't use the internet on that machine by all means give the IEradicator a shot,here's a link to the read-me concerning Win 2K [url=http://www.litepc.com/release_notes/ieradicator.txt]www.litepc.com/release_notes/ieradicator.txt[/url] Remember,it won't work with SP2,but you can install SP2 updates minus explorer updates seperately if you need them(ie:Dir-X 8.1a,UDMA hot fix ect.).Rest assured,3 months later and it's not only no problem,but I'm now spoiled.

Thanks... What do you get with SP2 that's better than SP1(audio related)? What do you get with SP3 that's better that SP2 (audio related)? Also....wondering about the "Big Brother" control that everyone is concerned about...where Microsoft has added some form ofautomated "checking" of your system. Is this with Win2K SP2 and SP3? Anyway to disable it during either SP installs?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Hey Alndln: Have you used 98 Lite? That damn program screwed up my OS. I installed it and then uninstalled it and it screwed up my security settings so that I can longer read sites that use ActiveX. My securtity settings are set to allow ActiveX but no matter how I set them when I go onto a site that has it I get the warning "your settings may not allow display of ActiveX". It's definitely something in 98 Lite that did it, so beware. No big deal I just have to do a clean install, but I've got gigs of stuff to back up first.

[quote]Originally posted by miroslav: [b]Thanks... What do you get with SP2 that's better than SP1(audio related)? What do you get with SP3 that's better that SP2 (audio related)? [/b][/quote]SP2?=If your having trouble posting UDMA(4-5) with your drives and are stuck in PIO mode or if your having trouble getting Win 2K to recognize your CD burner,also it comes with Dir-X 8.0,so download Dir-X 8.1a seperately yourself.SP3?=0 for audio.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Hey Alndln: Have you used 98 Lite? That damn program screwed up my OS. [/b][/quote]You have to be careful what your removing with 98 lite.People generally use it to remove the explorer entirely.

Archived