Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G5 DP migration

Dave Bryce

Well, I got my new copy of DP4, along with the PCI-424 that I bought because my PCI-324 doesn't work with a G5...

Installation went smoothly...until I tried to configure my audio and MIDI setups.

I was able to import my FreeMIDI setup from my old computer. Unfortunately, the program doesn't see my MIDI Timepieces. It does see my PCI-424, but not the 2408 that's attached to it.

:mad:

No idea what's up with the MIDI...as far as the audio goes, I have a sneaking suspicion that the PCI-424 doesn't work with an original 2408. Man, I really hope that's not the case. :eek:

Anybody tried this yet? I'm really looking to avoid having to do the MOTU tech support thing...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave,

The 424 definitely works with legacy 2408's. The FreeMIDI conversion thing, however, is a piece of crap. It's better to start in fresh.

Which timepieces do you have? Are they USB? Let me know, and I may be able to walk you through it.

A good resource is Unicornation.com, although lately, it's been a nasty, nasty fight between the "kill MOTU" folks and the moderator banning them.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

The 424 definitely works with legacy 2408's. The FreeMIDI conversion thing, however, is a piece of crap. It's better to start in fresh.

Whew...that's a relief. DP seem to see it in the setup menu, though...

Which timepieces do you have? Are they USB?
One MTP AV (USB) connected to the Mac and one MTP II (serial) connected to the MTP AV. The program sees neither

Let me know, and I may be able to walk you through it.
That'd be way cool. If you prefer, PM me yer phone number and we can try and do it in real time.

I'd owe ya one...

dB

Okay, now it's seeing the 2408...unfortunately, it's only seeing it as an 8 channel analog device.

I believe that under Jaguar, that's all it would do...however, I'm running Panther, and it's supposed to see the all three of the 2408's bays in that OS..

Grumble grumble...

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Okay, now it's seeing the 2408...unfortunately, it's only seeing it as an 8 channel analog device.

I believe that under Jaguar, that's all it would do...however, I'm running Panther, and it's supposed to see the all three of the 2408's bays in that OS..

Grumble grumble...

dB

Is there a control panel for the 424 card? That might be where you can specify the configuration of the 2408. I use an 828 Firewire interface, and the control panel is where I specify the interface's configuration (prior to launching Logic).

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Which timepieces do you have? Are they USB?
One MTP AV (USB) connected to the Mac and one MTP II (serial) connected to the MTP AV. The program sees neither
The MTP AV should be using MOTU's Core MIDI drivers in OSX. The second one should be seen as MIDI ports 9-16.

I have a Unitor8 and an AMT8 connected the exact same way.

Originally posted by Dan South:

Is there a control panel for the 424 card? That might be where you can specify the configuration of the 2408. I use an 828 Firewire interface, and the control panel is where I specify the interface's configuration (prior to launching Logic).

Yeah, there is...but the 2408 option isn't there.

Originally posted by steadyb:

The MTP AV should be using MOTU's Core MIDI drivers in OSX. The second one should be seen as MIDI ports 9-16.

Actually, it just turns out that I'm a complete idiot.

The USB drivers have a separate installer that I didn't see when I installed DP4. Now it sees the MTPs just fine.

Hi - my name's Dave...I'm a professional... :rolleyes:

I'll call MOTU in the morning and have them help me witht he 2408. Hopefully, it'll just turn out to be something else stupidly easy that I missed.

Thanks, guys!

dB

I'm going through the OSX migration as well, but on 2 fronts, graphically & musically. The graphic end of things is much further along than the music. Virtually every software on the graphic front is available for OSX & some are in their 2nd & 3rd versions. Music is still a struggle with plugins that are VST only, working very wonky as an AU being converted with the VST to AU Adapter, plugins like NI stuff that are AU but crash or work funny with weird graphic redraws, etc. On the plus side I think DP4, 4.1, 4.11/OSX, Core Audio sounds better than DP3.11, is easier on the CPU because of OSX, etc. DP & it's native plugins, in my experience, is rock solid. Multi-tasking is truly multi-tasking in OSX where you can copy 500 megs of data from one machine to another & not have to go to lunch because it's taxed your machine & you can't do anything else. I had DP4.11 running last night & noticed my midi wasn't working. While my machine was playing a 11 stereo, 4 mono track tune with Motu EQ's on every track, Masterverb on the main vocal, Trackplug on several tracks & Blue Tube Limiter on the Master Track, I wondered to myself is there an Panther update to my Stealth card, & without thinking about it opened Explorer & went to the GeeThree site & downloaded the latest driver for it. I watched it download in seconds, automatically Stuffit Expander opened & unstuffed the file. It did all this while DP was playing the above track in the background, without as much as a hiccup. OSX & especially OSX Panther has it's advantages, but it is a bit of a struggle because of the learning curve & the wonky softwares. Remember Repairing Permissions, trashing preferences & audio unit cache is king in OSX. Now if I can only remember where they are kept . . .

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by b_3guy:

[QB Music is still a struggle with plugins that are VST only, working very wonky as an AU being converted with the VST to AU Adapter, plugins like NI stuff that are AU but crash or work funny with weird graphic redraws, etc. [/QB]

Is at least B4 working? I don't wanna go through all the shit I went through went migrating from Windows 95 to Mac OS 9... OSX total migration planned for end of november.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

PS. The Volume 6 Compilation CD graphics was done totally in OSX using InDesign 2.2 & Photoshop 7.1. By the way, are we ever going to get them printed?

Yeah...you should probably send those to Jackpine...

Okay, I think I've got it now. The 2408 thing was because the menu that used to select that in the older version of DP is no londer inside the program at all - it's a separate program called MOTU PCI Audio Console. I expected to find it under the Configure Hardware Drivers menu, which is still there, but now does different stuff. Who knew it was outside the program... :freak:

Also, I was still having problems with the MTPs (I wasn't seeing the individual synths in the Output menu of the tracks window, just a whole bunch of Port 1s)...apparently, it was because I was using 4.1 with Panther. Apparently, Panther wants to see 4.11, which I'm now downloading (47 MB!).

Hope that works...

dB

Originally posted by Superbobus:

[QB Music is still a struggle with plugins that are VST only, working very wonky as an AU being converted with the VST to AU Adapter, plugins like NI stuff that are AU but crash or work funny with weird graphic redraws, etc.

Is at least B4 working? I don't wanna go through all the shit I went through went migrating from Windows 95 to Mac OS 9... OSX total migration planned for end of november.[/QB]
Yup! Version 1.13, came out this week or last. Using it in DP still has a workaround because it's AU. It will only output to your interface's outputs. It's kind of like it's working stand alone, but DP's midi track controls it. I listen to it assigned to my monitor outs, Analog 1 - 2. When it's time to record it into DP, I assign it to Analog 7 - 8, then in DP record Analog 7 - 8 to a stereo track. I'm not sure what happens if you're using it in Cubase or Logic.

Steve

Originally posted by Superbobus:

Music is still a struggle with plugins that are VST only, working very wonky as an AU being converted with the VST to AU Adapter, plugins like NI stuff that are AU but crash or work funny with weird graphic redraws, etc.

Is at least B4 working? I don't wanna go through all the shit I went through went migrating from Windows 95 to Mac OS 9... OSX total migration planned for end of november.
Yup! Version 1.13, came out this week or last. Using it in DP still has a workaround because it's AU. It will only output to your interface's outputs. It's kind of like it's working stand alone, but DP's midi track controls it. I listen to it assigned to my monitor outs, Analog 1 - 2. When it's time to record it into DP, I assign it to Analog 7 - 8, then in DP record Analog 7 - 8 to a stereo track. I'm not sure what happens if you're using it in Cubase or Logic.
That's good to hear - that's another upgrade I've gotta get to...

I am bummed that I've had to lose my Bomb Factory plug-ins, though... :(

dB

Okay, I think I've got it now. The 2408 thing was because the menu that used to select that in the older version of DP is no londer inside the program at all - it's a separate program called MOTU PCI Audio Console. I expected to find it under the Configure Hardware Drivers menu, which is still there, but now does different stuff. Who knew it was outside the program... :freak:

dB

I was lucky, I installed the OSX driver for my 828 before I installed DP. The icon showed up in the Dock so I naturally waved my mouse over it, clicked & set it up.

I am bummed that I've had to lose my Bomb Factory plug-ins, though... :(

dB

Pricey things aren't they. I'm doing without my Waves & I don't know when I can get them. The Blue Tube plugins do a good job & they remind me of the Bomb Factory stuff.

Steve

I was lucky, I installed the OSX driver for my 828 before I installed DP. The icon showed up in the Dock so I naturally waved my mouse over it, clicked & set it up.

I did a similar thing, but it was the driver for the 424 I installed - don't think there is one for the 2408. That's why I got the 8 channels of analog only.

Pricey things aren't they. I'm doing without my Waves & I don't know when I can get them. The Blue Tube plugins do a good job & they remind me of the Bomb Factory stuff.
Yeah, well, whaddaya gonna do. It appears the Erik isn't gonna do OSX version of the BF plugs, so I guess I'm hosed as far as those go.

My best friend works at TC Electronic though, so I think I'm gonne get them to loan me a PowerCore to try out. I imagine that won't suck... ;)

dB

Originally posted by steadyb:

Hi - my name's Dave...I'm a professional... :rolleyes:

(entire room in unison) "Hi Dave!!!"
No biggie! This is how the professionals BECOME professionals. They make all of the mistakes in advance.

One day, a client will be asking Dave for help with his DP install, and Dave will ask, "Did you remember to install the USB drivers? They're on a separate disk, you know?"

The client will be amazed at Dave's limitless wisdom.

;)

:D

Glad it's working better for you, Big Guy!

:wave:

The 2408 thing was because the menu that used to select that in the older version of DP is no londer inside the program at all - it's a separate program called MOTU PCI Audio Console. I expected to find it under the Configure Hardware Drivers menu, which is still there, but now does different stuff. Who knew it was outside the program... :freak:

Mmm, yeah, that's what I meant when I used the term "control panel". It's not part of your sequencer; it's external.

The 2408 thing was because the menu that used to select that in the older version of DP is no londer inside the program at all - it's a separate program called MOTU PCI Audio Console. I expected to find it under the Configure Hardware Drivers menu, which is still there, but now does different stuff. Who knew it was outside the program... :freak:

Mmm, yeah, that's what I meant when I used the term "control panel". It's not part of your sequencer; it's external.
Understood. I didn't expect a whole other program, though... :freak:

It seems to me that there should be a brief "helpful hints" type of doc included with new versions of software labelled "For those of you who've been using the old version" that basically gives you a quick series of tips on a few of the obvious important things that have been moved, so you don't have to read the whole manual each time you upgrade...you know, like a FAQ sort of thing for previous owners.

I understand the difficulties in generating such a document, but I think the advantages far outweigh the downsides.

dB

Dave, I concur on the "helpful hints." Much of OSX is still a mystery to me.

Me, too...and now, having used Jaguar for all of a week, I'm using Panther. Oy...

Luckily, steadyb is gonna come help me install Logic on Saturday. :eek: That should be all sorts of fun...assuming, of course, that my head doesn't explode. :D

Here's hoping those years of using Notator are gonna be a bit helpful...

dB

Yeah, well, whaddaya gonna do. It appears the Erik isn't gonna do OSX version of the BF plugs, so I guess I'm hosed as far as those go.

My best friend works at TC Electronic though, so I think I'm gonne get them to loan me a PowerCore to try out. I imagine that won't suck... ;)

dB[/QB]

I presumed that the Bomb Factory stuff would be for MAS or at least AU, but I see it's only for Pro Tools, not even VST. Wow. :freak:

Steve

I presumed that the Bomb Factory stuff would be for MAS or at least AU, but I see it's only for Pro Tools, not even VST. Wow. :freak:

No, never for VST. Erik says it's too easy to krack VST plugs, and he has...a huge problem with that, to say the least.

Drag...I'll miss those compressors... :(

dB

Congrats on the positive movement regarding your gear...

But plug-ins?

Now that you've upgraded your life with ADAMs and OSX, it's time for other upgrades:

http://www.avalondesign.com/vt747sp.html

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/masspass99.html

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/mu99.html

http://www.cranesong.com/ibis.html

Yummmm..

Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

Well, I got my new copy of DP4, along with the PCI-424 that I bought because my PCI-324 doesn't work with a G5...

Installation went smoothly...until I tried to configure my audio and MIDI setups.

I was able to import my FreeMIDI setup from my old computer. Unfortunately, the program doesn't see my MIDI Timepieces. It does see my PCI-424, but not the 2408 that's attached to it.

:mad:

No idea what's up with the MIDI...as far as the audio goes, I have a sneaking suspicion that the PCI-424 doesn't work with an original 2408. Man, I really hope that's not the case. :eek:

Anybody tried this yet? I'm really looking to avoid having to do the MOTU tech support thing...

dB

Did you install the latest drivers from Motu.com? They updated everything for Panther.

Originally posted by salOdelic:

Did you install the latest drivers from Motu.com? They updated everything for Panther.

Yeah, that was part of the problem - I had to go from 4.1 to 4.11. I also needed to learn a couple of things conceptually about OSX.

It's running perfectly now.... :thu:

dB

Archived