Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bare bones 49key keyboard???

brady_dup1

I tour extensively and am looking for a keyboard I can easily carry around and up to the hotel room instead of lugging the 88weighted keys from the truck and break my back.

I need full-size keys, and something small. 49 keys seems about right to me. Also, as the subject says, I dont need a bunch of knobs, wheels, and extra stuff. I also dont need a library of sounds. A piano sound will do fine.

If its cheap, that will help too...but not if it sacrifices quality. Any ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Kurzweil KME-61, which I reviewed in this September's issue of Keyboard, sounds like it would fit the bill. It's 61 keys, but it's so small and lightweight. It has great pianos, and a whole lot of useful preset sounds. I don't know if built-in speakers is something you want in a hotel-room board, but if you do, a lot of touring pros keep some kind of Yamaha PSR around.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

NOT KNOWING YOUR STYLE OR APPLICATION, I CAN TAKE A GUESS THAT THIS ONE MIGHT WORK FOR YOU, IF YOU WANT SMALL AND INEXPENSIVE:

Casio

If you have an amp or headphones, you might consider a perpetual favorite, the Nord Lead. They are selling fairly inexpensive. You may also want to look at Best Buy or Circuit City at Yamaha PSR or Casio all-in-one keyboards. Steve F's recommendation of the Kurzweil is strong as well.

Give us more info and I'm sure someone can help.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

What do you want it for?

If it'd just something to plink on, you might wanna go to Best Buy and get a Yamaha PSR-type thing...they're actually not bad at all...

dB

Funny you should mention that - I had this gig last weekend where I was supposed to play piano and a bit of synth for a party. So I took my synth rig, but somehow I forgot my rack of modules. This gig was out of town, so when I realized my mistake it was too late to go back. I went to a music store to rent something, and all they had was a low-end PSR (PSR 300, something like that) worth about $300. So I rented it, and was surprised by how good it was. For the money, I mean. It got me through the gig.

Originally posted by GuestUser:

I went to a music store to rent something, and all they had was a low-end PSR (PSR 300, something like that) worth about $300. So I rented it, and was surprised by how good it was. For the money, I mean. It got me through the gig.

Yeah, but how was the velocity switching?

(ducking and running) :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I went to a music store to rent something, and all they had was a low-end PSR (PSR 300, something like that) worth about $300. So I rented it, and was surprised by how good it was. For the money, I mean. It got me through the gig.

dB

I suspect it was flawless...as are all single velocity patches.

Busch.

dB

No need to duck and run, it's a fair question for any sample-based synth. :cool:

Busch is right - single layers only, as far as I could tell - no switching.

Archived