Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gov't Mule - Deepest End - Bernie Worrell

JimmieWannaB

Just picked up Gov't Mule's Deepest End. The two CD and DVD package covers their 5 hour May 2003 concert in New Orleans in its entirety. Like Deep End Vol 1 & 2, it's a parade of some of the best bassists in the industry.

I haven't watched the entire DVD yet but was blown away by Bernie Worrell's B3 playing on one cut. (Sco-Mule or Lay Of The Sunflower. I forget which.) I've never seen anyone play the way he does. While some caress a Hammond, he spanks the bitch. :eek: It looked like he was literally spanking the keys through much of the number. You could almost look at the cut as a lesson in B3 funk playing. I have to check the track list, but I'm hoping he's on more cuts.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished watching the DVD. Great stuff but nothing with Bernie Worrell like what I saw on Sco-Mule. If you're a Mule fan, this package is a steal at $22.

One thing on the DVD had me grabbing the box for the credits. Gov't Mule's new keyboardist's look made me think I was seeing Byron/steadyb. Same shades and goofy baseball cap. Same look but no match. Their keyboardist's name is Danny Louis, not Byron Gaither.

When I saw Mule in Providence, Warren and Danny were trading licks - Danny playing his D6 through one of his Line PODs. Holy schmoly that was hot - I really had to pay close attention to see who was playing what, he really have Warren a run for his money!

I'll be fortunate enough to catch 3 Mule shows this month. Once up in Boulder, and a couple here in Denver.

I think Danny Louis is a great keyboardist...BUT I've also seen 'em with Chuck Leavell a couple times, and he's simply the BEST!!!

Originally posted by TinderArts:

Bernie is the shit!

Nah,T-Arts, BW swims through the shit, gliding like an eel throught the seaweed.

Of course, if one wants to really check him out, his solo CDs & the classic PFunk stuff shines, well, like a "Flashlight".

The way he mixes those classical (& I mean "straight" classical) touches with funk is truly unique.

Archived