Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do You Have Anything To Say?

I had to go out very early this morning and as I was driving back I thought, I've been involved with music since I was a kid, I should be better at it than I am. But.....then I thought, the question is NOT how good you are BUT whether you have something to say musically and/or lyrically and my answer is, YES, I do have something to say. Music in it's purest form is not a competition, except maybe with yourself, so all you have to do is ask yourself that question and answer it honestly. DO you have anything to say? If you don't, then shut the hell up!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just as a good storyteller has nothing new to say, but serves a purpose, I shall continue to be a cover musician. Music is also a challenge to me, to learn a new set of chord changes I'm not familiar with. While that doesn't serve society at all (well, it does keep me off the street :D ) it does serve me, and I'm kinda selfish that way. :p

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Music touches, effects people on so many different levels that it's pretty well impossible to impose any kind of rule or set of criteria on what makes a particular piece of music valid, or interesting or whatever. Your music doesn't necessarily have to "say" anything. It doesn't have to convey a coherent "message". Certainly it [i]can[/i] and often does. But it doesn't [i]have[/i] to. Music can simply evoke "feelings". And maybe that's really the base "something" that everyone that makes music has to say: "feel something".
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

There are times I have had something to say, and at other times I was tapped out. It's not a constant. And that's ok. It means we are human and that music is an art. I think I am coming back from a dry period. Last night, I turned on Andrea Bocelli while we were dragging out the christmas decorations and my little 1.5 year old stood near the speaker and said "wow" five times. It made me think how magical music is. Jerry

Well I have nothing to say, My lips are sealed. Say something once, Why say it again? Seriously, I have lots to say, the HOW to say it needs work.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I believe that everyone has something to say. They just may not have the musical/lyrical vocabulary to say it. In the end it's all about finding your own voice and your own truth, and being able to convey that.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]If we all made it this far in life, we must have something to say.[/b][/quote]Hey Hippie, check your PM's :wave:

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived