Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

pHATmatik vs Ableton?

hangee_77

About couple days ago I was going to buy the Ableton3 but the guy at the store introduced me to the pHATmatik by Bitshift, which has very interesting features as well regarding using loop samples.

Does anybody has tried this software before?

Hanjaya C.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pHATmatikPRO is quite a different animal than Live.

Live is a stand-alone application than can run in sync via ReWire with another app that supports ReWire (Logic, DP, Cubase, etc.).

pHATmatikPRO is a plug-in that runs within a host application (Logic, DP, Cubase, etc.) and allows for beat slicing/mangling/editing as well as exporting the sliced loop as a MIDI file, a pHATfile, or as individual audio slices via drag-and-drop.

Do you have a host sequencer in which you can run the pHAT? Or do you need the additional functionality of Live?

As bleen pretty much said - it is really apples and oranges. Also, I believe Bitshift announced a couple of months ago that because of piracy issues, future releases of Phatmatik would be Mac-only.

They're both great at doing different things.

Yes, I have Nuendo2 as my host sequencer.

I use a lot of loop samples on my music.

Usually when I want to use loop samples, I have to take those samples back and forth Recycle and Nuendo2. Well right now It kind of burns me out, so I was thinking to get either the Live3 or the pHATmatik.

Which one do you think work at best for me?

Thanks.

Hanjaya C.

Has anyone tried using Live along side Sonar or Project5 so that you can map out your loops in live rather than using individual loop players within the host? I would be nice to map out a song in Live much as I do in Acid, then play them back in sync as I gradually move parts over to Sonar.

I have PhatmaticPro and it is nice, but I do not enjoy using it for multiple parts. My real use for PhatmaticPro is splitting up loops, then using drag and drop to move individual slices to cells in Battery and create custom kits.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by piper:

As bleen pretty much said - it is really apples and oranges. Also, I believe Bitshift announced a couple of months ago that because of piracy issues, future releases of Phatmatik would be Mac-only.

Before asking further, first check out if this is true. Lots and lots of PC people were pissed off when Apple anounced they were taking over Emagic.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Originally posted by Superbobus:

Before asking further, first check out if this is true. Lots and lots of PC people were pissed off when Apple anounced they were taking over Emagic.

pHATmatikPRO 1.2 (public beta, but almost final release candidate) is out now for OSX AU, and on the way are Mac & PC VST versions.

for what you want to do nothing can touch Live

check some of the features

http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=news-archive&sub=live3features

on either platform mac or pc nothing can compete with the features of live or it's ease of use, it kills acid, radial and phatmatic pro, also you can run vstis within Live using fruity loops, plogue bidule, or project 5 through rewire.

Archived