Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why must we put up with this......

Nah, not talking bout Bralalalalalalalalalalalalalala. Ok, I'm sick and tired of music today. Pretty much everybody knows I feel this way, and I know some of you do too. Is there [b]nobody[/b] with any creative ideas? Heres what I mean.... [url=http://www.mymombob.cjb.net/]My Mom Bob[/url] . Okay,this is supposed to be "one of the best school bands in the Dallas area". Click on any (or all) of their 30 second previews to the cd they just released. Listen to how badly the cd was made. But that's not my point. These guys spent 250 smackers to for 5 hours in a "recording studio" (check the picture section to know what I'm talking about). Tempo changes everywhere..... Maybe it's just me, but listen to all those mistakes the lead guitar makes... and blah blah blah.... Okay, now listen to track 3 if you haven't already. When the first chord strikes, you can automatically tell where this is going. Ya know, average music today. So, post any comments you might have on this group you just heard. I mean, they totally wasted 2 tracks on the CD to goof around, also spending more money. And the lyrics.... Also, who knows any really good bands out there now? And no, I'm not talking about guys that are in their 40's.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not going to waste my 56k time for bad music! :D Thanks for the warning. Even good musicians were bad sometime. I wish I knew everything I know now when I was in my first band at 17. Hey- while I'm at it, I wish I knew now everything I'll know in 2020. Hello? Genie? Did you get that? Do you need me to re-word it? Hopefully the band you mentioned (and all bad bands) will get some constructive criticism, or at least be able to find something useful in the insults they get. :) Keep at it, all you bad bands out there! Try to get better, no matter how good you are! :wave:

[quote]Originally posted by CowbellAllen: [b]Also, who knows any really good bands out there now? And no, I'm not talking about guys that are in their 40's.[/b][/quote]Why not? If there's a great band of guys in their 40's that you haven't heard of, why wouldn't you want to know about them? I don't know what types of music you like, but there are plenty of rock and power pop bands here in Atlanta who are very talented. Most of them are in their 30's, if that's OK. :D

Lol Lee. No, I'm interested in younger bands because I want a band that I can convice my friends into listening to. I listen to stuff from the sixties, like Cream, Hendrix, you get it. They already know I'm crazy because I'm stuck in the past, so they aren't interested in stuff that was played 40 years ago. So I'm looking for some guys that have chops and have great tone, less gain, [i]solos[/i] , and some other interesting stuff that makes them a great band to listen to that we could see in concert. I think you might know what I mean. Just a band that people could get excited about seeing or hearing, that don't have suspenders or anything. Something new. Just mainly leaning toward my own age group....but I still would love to hear of any good bands out there I might be interested in.

[quote]Originally posted by CowbellAllen: [b] These guys spent 250 smackers to for 5 hours in a "recording studio" (check the picture section to know what I'm talking about). Tempo changes everywhere..... Maybe it's just me, but listen to all those mistakes the lead guitar makes... [/b][/quote]Five hours? OK, so they went in, set up, got sounds and then went home. Where did they record? Five hours is nothing. If they had spent 500 hours and it sounded like shit then I could understand, but five hours is a glorified board tape from a live gig. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Well... ahem... don't know if you've heard any of my band's stuff but we are very 60's influenced, and quite a few of the young bands around here are as well. Check out my band's [url=http://www.what-the.com]web site[/url] for MP3's and more info, then go to the "Links" page - there are links to several other local acts we really like. Most of these folks don't necessarily have "monster chops" in the vein of Hendrix or Cream, but they do have great songwriting, harmonies, and really good tasty instrumentation. (e.g. solos are not long but they're good and fit the song!) You might also check out [url=http://www.littlestevensundergroundgarage.com]Little Steven\'s Underground Garage[/url] , an incredible radio show that features great underground rock from the 60's through the present. Some great young bands (as well as some who've been around for awhile but have remained mostly unknown) have been featured on there like Cotton Mather, Apples In Stereo, Anderson Council, the Cynics, and others. This is a VERY hip weekly radio show... if you don't get it in your city (check the web site for the stations that carry it), you can listen to the archives on the net. Fear not, there is still good rock out there that you and your friends can help discover!

Lee, a Detroit radio station (WCSX) just picked up the Little Steven show a few weeks ago. So far, I like it alot! It reminds me of the old 'free form' days of radio. Last night Steve played a group out of Atlanta called, 'The 45's'. They were hot, maybe you know of them. Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: Why not? If there's a great band of guys in their 40's that you haven't heard of, why wouldn't you want to know about them? I don't know what types of music you like, but there are plenty of rock and power pop bands here in Atlanta who are very talented. Most of them are in their 30's, if that's OK. :D [/QB][/quote]Amen Sister Lee!!!!!! Preach it!!!!!! :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by TheDude: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Most of these folks don't necessarily have "monster chops" in the vein of Hendrix or Cream[/b][/quote]Monster chops = Hendrix or Cream? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH[/b][/quote]Someday you may understand. :rolleyes: Lee, I did not realize you were based in Atlanta? Why was I thinking LA? I go through Atlanta about 3 times a year. I'll try to catch a set next time if you are in town. Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

So you want bands in their late 30s, early 40s? I'd check out Widespread Panic (Lee, they're from GA, you played with them yet?). The lead guitarist just died a few months ago, and he was 40. They've been around for almost 20 years, too. But most people think they are new and undiscovered. Same with Phish, except I think they are a little younger. Both have extremely extended solos, especially live, and can sell a place out in a week or so of letting the tickets out. Other than that, I really don't know of any *new* bands that can rock, with solos and good lyrics. It's all been done. Maybe we'll get some interesting music when we start conquering other [i]planets[/i] and stuff.

[quote]Originally posted by Rabid: [b]Lee, I did not realize you were based in Atlanta? Why was I thinking LA?[/b][/quote]Probably cuz I'm from L.A. and still go back there sometimes. But yeah, I've been in Atlanta for 10 years. [quote][b] I go through Atlanta about 3 times a year. I'll try to catch a set next time if you are in town. [/b][/quote]Hey, that'd be great! Just let me know when you're coming through.

[quote] I just doesn't understand how someone could chose Hendrix and Cream as an example of superior chops. [/quote]Who did you think I would say? You? :eek: I don't see why you spend all your time on the music forum. Shouldn't you be changing your customer's oil while listening to ABBA?

Hey Dude, just curious - who do you consider a maker of monster chops if you don't see your way to bless Hendrix with that compliment..... I'm just guessing - McLaughlin? Paco DeLucia? Joe Pass? Steve Cropper? Satriani? Eric Johnson? John Williams? Pat Metheny? George Harrison? You do have set opinions I gather?/ M Peasley

[quote]Originally posted by CowbellAllen: [b]I don't see why you spend all your time on the music forum. Shouldn't you be changing your customer's oil while listening to ABBA?[/b][/quote]Perhaps you should learn an instrument other than the cowbell before making criticisms.

[quote]Originally posted by M Peasley: [b]Hey Dude, just curious - who do you consider a maker of monster chops if you don't see your way to bless Hendrix with that compliment..... I'm just guessing - McLaughlin? Paco DeLucia? Joe Pass? Steve Cropper? Satriani? Eric Johnson? John Williams? Pat Metheny? George Harrison? You do have set opinions I gather?/ M Peasley[/b][/quote]Hello Mr. Peasley. Those are all great musicians in their own right, but in the chops department, I would definitely put Satriani, Metheny, McLaughlin Pass and DeLucia above Hendrix. Not to say Hendrix didn't play the hell out of his guitar, but he clearly wasn't a chops master.

Guitar,bass,keys,oboe,bassoon,violin,viola,trombone,trumpet(cornet actually),saxophone, clarinet(during marching season), percussion( fyi: percussion means just about every piano/drum instrument out there :D ), umm lemme think..... actually, I don't feel like naming all the other instruments that can be found in band,so use your imagination :rolleyes: . Also, I run P.A. in a variety of places, like church and,even though I hate it, local garage band parties. It really does help to have a band director as your father. :freak: I would ask you, but it doesn't really seem like you have much taste in music.

Archived