Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicians... Have you ever begged for handouts?

Ever just wanna grab your guitar, go to Venice Beach or somewhere with a lot of touristy foot traffic, and play for handouts? Maybe it's my sense of pride that prevents me from doing so, but I bet some of those street performers are making some decent scratch on the side. I saw a news segment a few years ago in which regular people dressed up like bums and asked for handouts. They tracked them and sometimes they'd be pulling on average around $6 an hour. Nothing to retire on but when you're hard-up for cash... :rolleyes:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
in the '70s I used to take my guitar and play in the Public Garden or in the Commons in Boston. I started to get regulars who would find me and just sit there and listen, and finally they asked why I didn't open my guitar case. After some thought, and looking out for the cops, I did accept donations, good pocket change! A few years ago, when I was between jobs, I was getting my chops back, recording music at home, and I bought a street performers license from the Peoples' Republic of Santa Monica, intending to perform on the 3rd street Promenade. I have a friend who is a professional magician, but he performs there and elsewhere outdoors to keep his chops up. He makes very good money, hundreds of dollars a day, from time to time (hope the IRS isn't reading...). There is a Peruvian band who plays there and reportedly earns $2-3k a day, enough to pay 5 people and the fines from playing too loud. I never ended up playing out there, but it might have been fun.

Archived