Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are THE most overplayed covers?

We've had threads on this before and I'll try a search for it but I was wondering if you could help me identify what you think are THE most overplayed songs by your average "dance band." Bands that play in clubs for your "average crowd." My vote in my neck o' the woods... Brown Eyed Girl... without a doubt, #1 Mustang Sally Honorable Mention... Cocaine

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old Time Rock and Roll Cocaine Freebird Gimme Three Steps Sweet Home Alabama Turn the Page Wonderful Tonight Mustang Silly House of the Rising Sun Proud Mary The Dance Brown Eyed Girl Sheeit...there are so many. These are probably the worst offenders. My take...put up a sign near a tip jar that says ..."Requests $5.00...except those from this list, $25.00". If they REEEEAAAAAALLLY want to hear those songs, it'll cost 'em.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

A few months ago near the end of the night a beautiful young black girl who was dancing circles around everyone asked me to play Cocaine. When we had finished playing her request, she threw a handful of cash at me and said where she was from in Texas they always tip the band, it was seventeen dollars, not bad for a song. Paul.

Play That Funky Music White Boy Mustang Sally Born to be Wild

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Being in a classic rock and roll band make this question easy..I'll just read our set list: Old Time Rock and Roll Born on a Bayou/Green River/Suzy Q Brown Sugar Louie Louie Jailhouse Rock Mony Mony Mustang Sally Tequilla Sweet Home Alabama Bad to the Bone Good Love

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

I play in what is best described as a Blues Band. So yes... we play Mustang Sally. To combat the fatigue of rehashing the same old crap, we have slowly morphed the tune into something totally new. As the guitar player, I started opening the tune with a little funk lick and incorporated some Dick Dale style stuff along with (believe or not) Wes Montgomery type double-stops. I know it sounds like a wierd mixture of elements but it actually works. And it's still fun to play after 12 years with the same band. Unfortunately, I let my bandmates talk me into "Brown Eyed Girl" a while back and now I just can't seem to get it out of our rotation. Ugh! That one and "Turn Back the Hands Of Time" (Tyrone Davis) - Lounge-lizard heaven.

Archived