Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Making music with computer major topics

Display

Hello :wave:

I'm writing a paper , and the topic is -something that a computer can do-

I chose -make music-!

NOw, I'm in need of some topics to reseearch on to fill the text of my paper.

So far, I'm going to present:

- the language of MIDI

-self-contained studio music making programs like Fruityloops and Reason

-Connecting harware instruments to a PC

-how macs are differnt than PCs for music production

-Programs that can edit audio files such as Cool Edit Pro and Soundforge

But, I'll need some more topics to write about to get the amount of pages required done.

Lay it on me- what topics could you add for me to research on?

Remember, the topic is - Anything a ocmputer can do - and I chose - produce music-

.Thank you. :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kerplunk:

Hello :wave:

Remember, the topic is - Anything a ocmputer can do - and I chose - produce music-

.Thank you. :)

I think you would do good getting a spell-checker first!

Try writing about sampling in the computer, and HD streaming of samples. (Gigasampler, Kontakt, Halion, Mach Five etc...)

That should give you another book to write.

Don't forget the types of synthesis that only a computer can do with any practicality...additive, Karplus-Strong, modeling.

You may also want to devote a section to the whole Recycle thing where pitch and time are separated. This is really taken for granted now, but when you really think about it, it's a phenomenal advance.

"For instance" is not proof.

Kerplunk,

Making use of our search function will get you more topics than you know what to do with. I don't know what academic level or audience your paper is for, but a good way to proceed would be to focus on making music with ONLY a computer, and maybe a MIDI controller keyboard attached to it. This might have the widest appeal, as there are a whole bunch of folks who have computers, like music, are curious about making it, but aren't about to go spend another $2000 or so on a professional synthesizer.

This is the college professor in me (my day job) coming out, and I don't mean it to be at all condescending: If you want comments on a rough draft, I'd be happy to throw in my $0.02. Good luck! :)

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Multi-track recording

Mixing with "plug-in" signal processors (VST, etc.)

Mastering with plug-ins

Using a combinatin of audio (recorded) and "soft instrument" tracks to create a full arrangement on a single computer

Audio and MIDI interfaces (getting data in and out of the computer)

Score printing/editing

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Hey, ya' know what might be a good idea?

Write a song, while keeping log entries of what you're doing and how you're doing it. Write the paper on your computer songwriting process. Then make the song available to your audience.

Just a thought. It might give you some originality points.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Since the first sentence in a written exposition "should" encapsulate the focus of the piece or it's most penetrating conclusion, it seems premature to start there...unless you're just looking for a striking remark that may not relate closely to what follows.

First sentence,

"Understanding and controlling sound in any orgainized way, shape or form is about as complex or simple as looking at stars and deciding how much you want to understand about them and the space in which they are contained. It gets twice as bad when you add electricity to the equation. I blame what follows on Ben Franklin and then hug him for it, my wife just blames him!"

From there your on your own :P

Names to Remember:

Charles Stepney & Emory Cook

In a music production studio, the most powerful and important piece of gear is a computer.
The most important piece of gear would be your mind, second most important your ears!

You can make some kind of music with the meanest of equipment if you have a good mind for it. The best computer out there can't do diddly-squat at making music without a good mind to direct and control it.

Be sure to mention that the computer can be a great tool for enabling a person to create music that would be too difficult or time-comsuming to do any other way. But the computer basically can only generate, control, record or organize sounds. It takes a person to actually turn those capabilities into music. Sure, a number of attempts have been made at having a computer create music, but the best results still tend to sound like a composition made by a music major with no inspiration. Technically "good", but boring or annoying.

Soon though, the scene will change. The computer won't have to get better at creating music, when we all get herded into listening to nothing but pop music then the crap that computers generate will be what we want.

Not trying to be a sour note in your endeavor. I wish you luck on your project. Let us know how it comes out.

"shit" happens. Success Takes Focus.

Brain and ears is truth.

I say as far a gear goes, the most important are your monitors and knowing them well. Room acoustics plays a huge part. The computer, depending on its role can be important or not.

I would think the best approach would be to summerize some of the concepts in digital audio, that is there are rules to digital audio that relate to every synth and DAW regardless of hardware, software, Mac or PC. All that is apples oranges, like and dislikes.

This of course can be rather basic depending on how much you want to get across, but for sound making devices that use digital audio, which would be most things involving a computer these days.

Note it is possible to use a computer to control analog sound making stuff, example would be early microprossors controlled synths in the 80's such as the prophet 5, good research text if could be found to get an idea of that era would be Hal Chamberlins book, Making music with Microprocessors or some thing like that.

Big topic once you get into it.

Names to Remember:

Charles Stepney & Emory Cook

You might also look at programs like Jammer. You tell Jammer the key, the chord changes, and the style. Jammer will generate the music including fills and breaks. It will even create leads if you want. This program could be considered one of the early steps to computers composing songs.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived