Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

samples of special effects sounds

pete psingpy

There must be something like this around...I'm looking for collections of samples of special effects sounds, anything from wind, thunder, to recordings of dogs barking, car engines starting up, footsteps, etc. I guess maybe these are sound "bites" rather than "FX" in most cases. Are there CD sound collections around like this with files in .wav or other common audio formats?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete, there are tons of such libs, usually in .Wav format, though the "industry standard" blue box collection is also available in Giga and other sample formats.

Here's a good source: The Radio Mall

High end stuff like the Valentino collection require indexing CD players. I like the Hollywood Edge collections for their quality if not their selection.

Then you can always find cheapo consumer libraries at 10 bucks a CD or less. When I'm in my studio, I will post some of those titles for you. Sometimes the quality is surpiringly good. There are also online sources of downloadable fx, freebie sites and some pretty damn expesnive ones where you will pay 5 or 6 bucks for your "bar ambience" loop or Ostritch wing flap...

Good luck out there!

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

PS: if you're not searching for top quality, search sound effects at Amazon and I'm sure you'll find tons of CDs with names like, "Planes Tranes and Automobiles," "The Machines of War," and "Heavy Industry."

I've got 7 or 8 such CDs as well as a 2-CD Hollywood Edge collection and a whole bunch of homemade sounds.

Foley is fun if you've got the time for it!

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Although I own a few, you have to be careful buying audio CD's because of copywrite issues. Here is a sound effects collection available at Soundsonline. I bought a collection there a few years ago on close out, 10 CD's for around $79. I cannot remember the name but I will check when I get home.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks for that information. I didn't even think about the copyright issue. I'd want to be able to use the soundclips in an original song or mix. I would also want high quality sound since it's for that purpose. Is there some type of copyright designation that would indicate if the soundclips could be used ? How do you know?

When buying from a dealer that specializes in samples, such as Soundsonline, look at the information on the website. It usually tells if you are free to use the sounds in your productions, or if you need to get permission. As for CD's off the shelf, you have to look at the copy write information on the cover. I cannot imagine someone releasing any type of CD, even sound effects, that does not have a copy write. However, I have a CD here titled Halloween Horror Sounds marketed by WalMart and made in China. While the name Horror Sounds has a trademark, there is no copy write information on the CD or packaging. :rolleyes:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived