Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

more than one midi controller for the same patch... how?

Tedly Nightshade

My mind is blank- midi out and thru do that to me, for some reason....

I want to control the same bass voice on a Triton rack, at the same time, from a piano with a midi controller ("Quiet Time" a PianoDisc thing) and a Kawai MP9000.

If understand right, I'm kinda screwed, as the midi out of either controller will not send any midi data that arrives at the midi in of either controller- only midi thru will do that, but midi thru will not send the note information from what's played on that controller!

Confused yet? I certainly am... :confused:

There's got to be a way... how can I go about this? I hope this question is intelligible... hoping to do this in a recording session in a few hours here... :freak:

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some controllers have a midi 'merge' function (My pc88mx has that, for instance), so you'd go midi out of controller 1, into midi in of controller 2 (which has the merge function), and the midi out of controller 2 to midi in of triton Rack. The merge function would merge what comes in the MIDI In with the midi stream generated by the controller, and then out the MIDI OUT.

There are standalone midi merge boxes as well.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Thanks!

Amazing, the answer in just a few minutes. Gawd these forums rawk...!

No merge functions of boxes here, except one on a Kawai Q80 sequencer- but it only has one input, and two outputs... hmmm....

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

No merge functions of boxes here, except one on a Kawai Q80 sequencer- but it only has one input, and two outputs... hmmm....
That's to allow the sequencer data and the MIDI In data to be merged at the output. Are you sure the MP9000 does not have a merge function? Roland (and maybe others)refered to this a "soft thru" which you can turn on and off in one of the menus. Check the manual for this. It would allow the MIDI input to be routed thru and merged with the output.

yeah, I'm sure the Kawai doesn't have a midi merge. Or the Quiet Time box. They're both so wonderfully, stupidly simple- I actually understand completely what they are both capable of! More than I can say for the Triton Rack! although I'm starting to get the hang of that menu-driven nightmare...

I found a way around having to pull this off today, I'll be looking at midi merge boxes for the future.

Archived