Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you hate electronic drums?

[quote]Originally posted by zork: [b]You can do all this with real drums (except the shut up part). Editing, chopping up with Recycle, reversing, layering, doubling, lining up to a grid, pitch change, distortion, whatever the fuck you want, if you want. [/b][/quote]You can achieve subsonic frequencies, repeat a sound exactly (sample accurate), and hit 20 instruments at once with an acoustic drum kit and live drummer? Well, I'd like to see your setup. It must be a custom job, because I've never seen an acoustic kit do this.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we are specifically talking about electronic drum [i]sounds[/i], i.e. non-sampled, real honest to god transistor based analog generated synthetic drums.... [i]love 'em[/i]. Would I have been the daddy of [url=http://www.master-zap.com/stomper]STOMPER[/url] if I didn't? Aaaaah, the wonders of a sinewave dropping from thousands of Hz to below 20Hz in a fraction of a second, both snappi'n ya gut and thundring your soul.... mmmm... bliss. Take your pathetic cannisters with dead pigs strapped over 'em and shov 'em, mmkay? ;) ;) ;) /Z (The above post is indended in a tounge-in-cheek yet-serious-but-then-again-not manner, liberally ironic yet completely straight spoken, off the wall yet centered, hairy, yet shaven, sweet, yet sour, manner. Enjoy.)

I love the sound of sampled drums from late 80s to mid 90s Hip-Hop. Beats from Marley Marl, Dj Premier, and Ali Shaid Muhammed(I hope I got his name right). I love that old Boom Bat. It sounds like it comes from concrete. To me, it sounds quite different from a traditional acoustic set. Ironically, a classic example of the sound I love can be heard on Lenny Kravitz song dedicated to his mother. Awesome song, and I'm not big on Kravitz though I respect him a lot. Anyway, on that song he's using those dirty big Hip-hop drums but he triggered them on a electronic kit. I loved it. Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

[quote]Originally posted by Franky P.: [b] [quote]Originally posted by zork: [b]You can do all this with real drums (except the shut up part). Editing, chopping up with Recycle, reversing, layering, doubling, lining up to a grid, pitch change, distortion, whatever the fuck you want, if you want. [/b][/quote]You can achieve subsonic frequencies, repeat a sound exactly (sample accurate), and hit 20 instruments at once with an acoustic drum kit and live drummer? Well, I'd like to see your setup. It must be a custom job, because I've never seen an acoustic kit do this.[/b][/quote]Sure you can do all of the above with an acoustic kit. Just sample and slice and dice. And what you end up with is ... A DRUM MACHINE!

Archived