Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

need help with my now rca setup.

Yahoo

now, when I go to my sounds in controll panel, the device volume (and my main volume[ think it is main volume , but ]) is dull ,like inactive . It's stuck at 75% up. I think even if i got it to go up to 100% , i'll still be quiet.

it's not the synth, kuz all three of mione sound quiet. It's a mystery.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TinderArts:

Phil, that seems like a good product idea.

http://www.samsontech.com/images/productimages/C-control.jpg

Have you tried one?

Yes, I bought one a couple of months ago. Since I have two sets of monitors, it gets used to allow me to quickly switch between them as the need arises. It has talkback capabilities built in, but there's no way to route a line level cue signal into it and then route that (plus the talkback mic) out to your cue system... at least that I've found. I didn't put too much effort into that since I already have a talkback setup that I'm happy with. But for speaker switching and setting monitoring levels, it works just fine. I don't really hear it doing anything bad sonically either, whiich is nice. For a measley $99, it's a good deal on a useful product.

I can't buy that thing, then look at it in my set up and be liek, yeah that';s the thing I bought because I can't figure out how to make my soudncard work!

Like, I just ask so many questions on forums, because a, I'm a beginner with all the needed gear and b, it's just so much easier to type than to actually get tinkering with everything and c, I don't want to mess anything up in my windows files and controll panel aspects of my computer, since I know little about them as well.

One day I'll get it, thanks for the suggestion, though.

I think you're toally misinterpretting what everyone is saying. To buy a mixer or a desktop patch device is to because you can't get your soundcard to work. As it is now, you're not really using you're soundcard the way its supposed to be used. Sure it CAN be used in the way you're trying to, but its just not the best way.

Why do you think this is a hastle necessary of playing music? The only reason to go through this hastle is to record the music you're playing. I guess maybe you don't have an amp and you're trying to use your computer's speakers for this purpose? I guess its not a horrible idea, but don't get made at the soundcard nor the computer for not doing exactly what you want without reading the manual and tech-support website.

The people here who know what they're talking about have spent countless, countless hours reading, learning, experimenting and fiddling to get things working - there's no reason you shouldn't have to go through the same process. If you're looking for an easy, uncomplicated way to do this, just plug your headphones into your synth and make all the music you want. You are complicating things by choice.

The desktop mixer or patchbay is a wonderful option and should be considered if you plan on doing recording or amplifying any additional sound sources. It doesn't represent failure.

As it is now, you're not really using you're soundcard the way its supposed to be used. Sure it CAN be used in the way you're trying to, but its just not the best way.

Why do you think this is a hastle necessary of playing music? The only reason to go through this hastle is to record the music you're playing

I do want to record, and even if i'm not recording, i want to play along with audio drom my PC, so I have to go through the sound card.

From the other posts, I go tthe impression that there is indeed something wrong ,since my stereo audio from my synth is so quiet.

If i use my powered moniters instead of my headphones , i can fix th eproblem by turing the voluem on them up and the volume of the PC audio I'm playing with down, but i use phones a lot.

But, yeah, after so many responses to my topic and me not finding the answer to my question, I will dig into the sources to hopefully fix the problem without buying more things.

..peace..

So you're saying when you turn the powered computer speakers up, you have full sound from your synth ?? That's the way it's supposed to work.

The signal coming out of the card needs to be amplified, if you're just hooking your headphones up to the output of the card without an amp, it will be very quiet. Those are line outputs, not headphone outputs.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

So you're saying when you turn the powered computer speakers up, you have full sound from your synth ?? That's the way it's supposed to work.

The signal coming out of the card needs to be amplified, if you're just hooking your headphones up to the output of the card without an amp, it will be very quiet. Those are line outputs, not headphone outputs

amen, the answer. you da man!

but, still wouldn't the PC audio(fruityloops in my case) also be unamped and as quiet as my synth?

You'd think, but not necessarily, computer configurations are not always what they seem, and your computer noises may be amplified somehow, don't ask me how, that's beyong my scope... but get an amp on that card even if it's a home stereo amp and some decent monitors, then you'll really be enjoying that card. That card is your first big step into converting your computer into a great audio workstation, be happy !!!

24/96 is great for recording, the s/pdif will come in handy later, and so will the midi input.

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by galiwaves:

djwayne, do you reccoment I get that blue tanletop box amp that was pic posted on this thread?

and is only $99! :confused:

...take it easy..

I can't tell you what to buy, you have to make your own decisions based on what you want your future studio to look like, sound like, and capabilities. Are you planning on adding other instruments, drum machines, vocals ?? Perhaps you should start looking at mixers, and if you check e-bay, you may find some really great buys there.

Good monitors, reference power amps.. there's lots of things that make up a pro studio, that you may need. I would really recommend, you study up on it first, so you know exactly what you'll need. Maybe take a course in music production at a local school or get a few books, check the library, or e-bay, there's tons of used stuff available, but it's your money, you have to make the decisions on what you want, and in which direction you want your studio to go in, and how far you want to invest in equipment. I'd say take things slow, and try hard to stay out of debt. Pay cash or trade stuff to get upgrade, if possible. Maybe one piece a month or every couple of months, learn it, and buy something else, and after awhile, you'll have a great collection of stuff. Buy quality, not junk, and you'll have quality. It may cost a little more, but worth it in the long run, as what you buy is what you'll have. Do your homework on everything first, download manuals if possible, so you know what your getting, and what else is available. Be informed as much as possible. Shop around the local music stores, and make the rounds every so often, get to know the salespeople. Look for great buys on quality used, or floor models.

Hope that helps.

Living' in the shadow,

Archived