Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kudos to Kurzweil, too

Postman

We've recognized Yamaha's laudable upgrade policy for their Motif line as the kind of installed user base support we'd like to see from every manufacturer. I think we should also recognize Kurzweil.

The K2600 ROM sample set can be expanded through the purchase of ROM cards. There are currently four of them (with a fifth on the way). The problem has always been that to install any one of them, the user had to purchase a daughter card which ran several hundred dollars itself. At the beginning of this year, Kurzweil started shipping K2600s with the daughter card and ROMs 1 & 2 installed. That was kind of a bummer for those of us with older machines. It got to be more of a bummer when Kurz released OS 4.0 which required the two ROMs.

At the beginning of this year I posted the following:

We can only hope that maybe, just maybe, Kurzweil will find it in their hearts to make the two ROMs a little more affordable so that the existing K2600 userbase can also take advantage of the new programming. Of course, no company can pay their bills with accumulated user gratitude.

Actually, I'd be happy with a price drop on the daughter cards, but I don't suppose that's going to happen, huh?

Well, I'll be damned if Kurzweil didn't do both! Sweetwater has the two ROMs and the daughter card for $200. That's a huge discount (somewhere around 70%). Sure this may increase sales of the other three ROM cards, but I have the feeling the main reason Kurzweil did this so that they wouldn't leave their installed user base behind.

And I for one appreciate it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great news for me. I'm looking for a used/demo/B-stock K2600X w/ROM 1 & 2. Several used ones I've found didn't have either and the cost of adding the ROMs killed the value of the deal.

With my luck, I'll get my K2600X...and then Kurzweil will announce a K3000X! :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, Kurzweil has a history of supporting their users. VAST has been around for over 10 years and many of the K2000 programs are compatible with K2500 and K2600 units.

I've been very happy with their folks in the service/parts department. I had some questions and needed some help upgrading my PC2. It's a pleasure to work with guys who are as helpful as they are.

I like the sound of Kurzweil equipment - especially my PC2X. (I also own a K2000 and a 1000PXA module.) I'm looking forward to the new ROMs that are coming out for the PC2 later this year. (RIGHT GEORGE?) :D:thu:

Gas :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I think it'd be a good idea to clarify a few things.

The two ROMs are NOT needed for version 4 OS as many people are "reporting". Version 4 can run just fine on it's own.

The new "Best Of Vast" soundset of objects DOES require ROMs 1 and 2. The BOV set is a new set of factory "presets". I don't believe version 4 is required to load these objects either. Both are mutually exclusive. They just happened to both be released at the same time.

Also, I was not able to find a ROM bundle package on the Sweetwater site. From what I see browsing their site now, they have ROMs 1 and 2 for $350 each, with the daughterboard at $225. Where is this special price? :confused:

Also, ALL K2000 programs/samples/etc... are compatable with the K2500 and K2600. :)

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

Kurzweil Keyboard Dept. Manager

"My dream is to have sex in odd time signatures." - J. Rudess

Kudos, indeed to Kurzweil, but a question to Sweetwater (are you listening, Nika?)

I just went on the web site to try and locate the K2500 version - couldn't find it on the site. Is this a phone-only deal, or are my site detective skills again falling short?

Originally posted by Bubbajazz:

Kudos, indeed to Kurzweil, but a question to Sweetwater (are you listening, Nika?)

I just went on the web site to try and locate the K2500 version - couldn't find it on the site. Is this a phone-only deal, or are my site detective skills again falling short?

Their website and print materials almost always have higher prices than I've received by working a deal with a salesperson over the phone. They usually acknoledge that their published prices can become out of date.

Originally posted by Bubbajazz:

I couldn't find the K2500 daughter board and ROM1 & 2 for $200 anywhere on the Sweetwater site either.

Is there someone specific we need to speak to at Sweetwater to get that deal?

This turned out to be a screwup on Sweetwater's part.

Kurzweil may be planning on dropping the price of the daughterboard/ROM 1 & 2 combo, but they haven't told their dealers yet. George jumped the gun, I guess.

Sweetwater's web site is tied a little too closely to their inventory system. The product I saw and called my rep about was part of the new deal that allows users to buy K2600s with the boards already installed. The $199 price I was quoted was some sort of behind the scenes accounting voodoo, I guess.

Anyway, bottom line: t'ain't no such deal.

My bad luck with Kurzweil continues. Love their sound. Don't like the way they do business.

We have a deal on ROM bundles. I don't know how this forum likes dealers posting about business, but if anyone wants to know, email me: BrettG@hallpiano.com. The deal may be limited to what we have in stock as I don't know if we'll be able to get anymore of the deals after the ones we have are gone. So you know what that means... :P

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

Kurzweil Keyboard Dept. Manager

"My dream is to have sex in odd time signatures." - J. Rudess

You got it right Dan, we K2500 users are no longer part of the picture at Kurzweil ;)

I've gotta K2500XS with extended P-Ram, grand piano daughterboard, and the Contemporary and Orchestral Rom blocks, all that's left now is to increase sample Ram to 128mb and add a KDFX unit...don't think I'll throw an internal hd in, just use the scsi ports :)

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

Archived