Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My baby loves the western movies...

...and so do I! Don't ask why these flicks hold such an appeal for me. I'll leave the analysis to someone else. They just do, that's all. Even some of the crappy ones do. And believe me, there are a LOT of crappy westerns. And I'm not giving my opinion of the best western made. Too many fighting for the top spot. And I can't give a favorite ONE. Ask which is my favorite child, why don't you? But, I'll give a short list of some of my favorites. Bear in mind, if you other western lovers out there don't see YOUR favorites on it, it's not because I don't like it, but an attempt to keep the list short... High Noon Shane Stagecoach My Darling Clementine The Ox-Bow Incident Rio Bravo High Plains Drifter The Outlaw Josie Wales Silverado Once Upon A Time In The West The Magnificent Seven Red River Little Big Man Lonesome Dove The Unforgiven Two Rode Together The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance Cat Ballou Tombstone Vera Cruz I could go on, but I don't want to put this on two pages! What did I miss? Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is strange. I was just now thinking back to a western movie I saw as a kid starring Charles Bronson that had excellent sound design. Music played a big part in the movie because he played a harmonica (usually right before killing someone), but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. There's a shootout scene in the beginning of the movie at a train station with the most wicked metallic (but musical) sounds coming from a windmill. I was thinking of sampling some of those sounds. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Whitefang, you've named lots of my favorites. I'll add a couple more: The Ballad of Cable Hogue Pale Rider Two Mules and Sister Sarah The Good the Bad and the Ugly The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance Rooster Cogburn The Shootist The Cowboys Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid Cat Ballou Little Big Man The Covered Wagon The Wild Bunch Shenandoah There are tons more. I'm a huge western movie watcher.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

i have a bizarre obession with all of clint eastwoods so-called "spaghetti" westerns. my personal favorite is the good,the bad, and the ugy plus the soundtrack is just too cool.
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

OKay, I've done some research (thank you US.IMDB)and I think the movie I'm talking about is C'era una volta il West (Once Upon A Time in The West) directed by Sergio Leone. He is also responsible for FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY, and FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE, among others in the genre. The score is by Enni Morricone which is EXCELLENT! Here's an excert from a review at USIMDB: [b]Then there is Enni Morricone's score. The most beautiful and moving score I have ever heard. Morricone using a different musical insturment to identify each of the major characters. Jill has the string instruments. Harmonica, naturally has the Harmonica. Frank has the electric guitar. And Cheyenne has the banjo. The score of "Man With Harmonica" is very popular and influental that it was recently be redone with a techno dance score and even played on a recent episode of THE SOPRANOS. But it's the actual theme for the movie, that has become a modern classic, that the song is being played at weddings replacing "Here Comes the Bride" or "Cannon In D." If you heard the theme of WEST, you would understand why. Everytime I hear the theme, tears are still coming out of my eyes. The musical score, is without a doubt the best score ever written! Then there is the visuals of the film, the way Leone shot and edits the film. The intense opening scene where three of Frank's men (Jack Elam, Woody Strode, and Al Mulock)are patiently waiting for Harmonica to show up. Elam traps a fly in the barrel of his pistol and listens to it buzz; Strode has drops of water cumulative add on his hat; Mulock cracks his knuckles. Then the showdown between the three of them against Harmonica. The first scene where Fonda's character is seen. The scene when Jill arrives in Flagstone, and rides the horse carrige through the scenery of Monument Valley. The revealing of why Harmonica is given his name, and how he acquired the instrument. [/b] Anyways, if you're into Westerns, you need to check this movie out. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

[quote]Originally posted by thisDude: [b]OKay, I've done some research (thank you US.IMDB)and I think the movie I'm talking about is C'era una volta il West (Once Upon A Time in The West) directed by Sergio Leone. He is also responsible for FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY, and FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE, among others in the genre. The score is by Enni Morricone which is EXCELLENT! [/b][/quote]I've seen the movie a couple of times & it is a real sleeper. It's one of the better westerns out there that no one has seen or heard of. That first 15 or 20 minutes before the shoot out WERE great & I loved that windmill & Elam. What a great scene that intro is.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

My personal favorites: The Long Riders Tombstone Anything with The Duke in it I want your woman! It would be so great to watch a great western with my wife---but instead she's addicted to Lifetime (I call it "The Victim's Network)and would run out of the room if I suggested watching a western together. UGGGHHH!!! BD
"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

posted 12-07-2002 01:46 PM [quote]I've seen the movie a couple of times & it is a real sleeper. It's one of the better westerns out there that no one has seen or heard of. That first 15 or 20 minutes before the shoot out WERE great & I loved that windmill & Elam. What a great scene that intro is. [/quote]Is that the one where the 4 guys meet Bronson at the train station and one of them says"It looks like we're short one horse" Bronson says "No, 3 too many" and then shoots all of them. That one also has a red head as the leading lady(can't think of her name)Man she is hot. And yeah I love westerns,too.We have the Western channel on our satelite,we keep it on that channel just about all the time.Oh yah, and here's a few faves "True Grit" "McClintock" "The sons of Katie Elder" "Blazing Saddles"and many many more. :thu:
jgc2002 is not responsible for damages ,injuries and or death as result of above post.Side effects include nasuea,dizziness,dry mouth,vomiting,blurred vision,nervousness,loss of memory and in extreme cases sexual side effects. www.mp3.com/salt_creek

[quote]Originally posted by thisDude: This is strange. I was just now thinking back to a western movie I saw as a kid starring Charles Bronson that had excellent sound design. Music played a big part in the movie because he played a harmonica (usually right before killing someone), but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. There's a shootout scene in the beginning of the movie at a train station with the most wicked metallic (but musical) sounds coming from a windmill. I was thinking of sampling some of those sounds. Anyone know what I'm talking about?[/quote]Once Upon A Time In The West...music by Ennio Morricone He's done a lot of other great soundtracks too... One of my favorite westerns is True Grit...but just about any will do. Hey...Silverado is on tonight at 8:30 EST on HBO-W

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Thanks to Dak and the others for listing the ones I didn't. I like all of those, too. And that scene you all mentioned in Once Upon A Time In The West is great. As great as the end scene when Bronson shoves the harmonica back in Fonda's mouth. Right up there with John Wayne kicking Strother Martin in the face in Liberty Valance("I'll git it, Liber-tee!") Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

The Wild Bunch, yeah that's definitely one of my favorite movies, much less favorite westerns. So, am I the only person on the planet that thought Unforgiven was lame :bor: . I know it's blasphemy to speak against Clint and all...
I have no homepage.

Archived