Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does this plug-in exist? If not, Why?

I just broke the bank on Cubase and I've been really impressed by the vst development community's efforts to make affordable (free:thu: ), high-quality plug-ins. What I'm looking for is something that would allow you to choose a root note, and maybe through a pull-down menu or something, let you select from pre-programmed modal scale step values (mixlodian, dorian, etc...) and direction (like an arpeg.), synched to the tempo with assignable note delay values. I know, that's a pretty tall order, but it seems do-able. Before you ask, I'm no programmer, so I can't do it. :D Something like this couldn't write an entire song for you, but it could be a great source of inspiration and experimentation if you already know the key of the tune you're working on. Does something like this exist?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saltown said: [quote] Easy to do with MIDI if you are using a sampler or synthesizer. [/quote]Well, sure I could do it manually with MIDI, but I was talking about an integrated, dedicated plug-in... Unless you're talking about a technique I don't know about.

The closest I've seen to this is Band-In-A-Box by PG Music. It will "create" melodies based on chord progressions you enter (or it can make up chord progressions, too) and use "styles" to generate the melody. The melodies probaby won't win any grammies, but might be a starting point. You can then export the "song" as a midi file where you can import it into just about any DAW. BIAB costs less than most commercial plugins.
Larry W.

Saltown said: [quote] Yes, I'm talking about a technique called Arpeggiation, using a feature called an arpeggiator. Surely Cubase, being a modern DAW, hath such a feature? [/quote]Yes it does.... and don't call me Shirley. :D

I really wasn't talking about midi, I was talking about something like a multi-stage tempo-synched delayed pitch correction for audio samples, but the semitones up and down are preoprogrammed selectable scale values. Oh well, maybe in Shangrilla...

You are describing "Band in a Box" but it is not a plug-in, its a cheap program the does a ton of what you are describing as far as making the entire song for you. It does not use samples, but it will work with synths and so forth via midi. I have an old version, I am not sure if it supports midi 2. Speaking of that , has midi two made any impact and has anyone used it?

Archived