Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Job Steve Fortner

Markyboard

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! :) Guess I'll see if my issue is here, as I haven't actually seen the review in the magazine yet. I've been into Keyboard since, oh, 7th grade, so I'm quite gratified to write for them when they need me. I just finished a "short take" on another product... don't know if I'm allowed to say what it is. Should be next issue.

I'll certainly let the DC-area forumites know when I'm around again... love that town.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I enjoyed reading the article as well. It was thorough and well written.

I'd think I'd be a little frustrated if I were Kurzweil though. Why didn't it get a Key Buy? Do you know? I understand it's not the writer's decision, but other than lack of programability, I couldn't see any knocks against the unit, and really, in the class its in is that a major flaw?

I'd think I'd be a little frustrated if I were Kurzweil though. Why didn't it get a Key Buy? Do you know? I understand it's not the writer's decision, but other than lack of programability, I couldn't see any knocks against the unit, and really, in the class its in is that a major flaw?
Major flaw? Maybe. KME is the only non-programmable keyboard in the $600-800 range. Also, Yamaha s-30,E-mu VK-6 and Alesis QS-6 are expandable. KME is not.

It has the PC-2 awesome sounds, but still, no reason for a "Key Buy".

I just read Stephen Fortner's review of the KME-61. The great detail on the "In Use" part is what I've been asking for for years. I hope the other reviewers follow that path. If it's a performance keyboard, the focus should be on performance, not on how the sounds fit in a track of a project, unless we can listen to it.

Thanks Carlito. Don't be shy about sharing that comment with Keyboard! ;)

As for the Key Buy thing, it is an editorial decision at the end of the day, though the writer does have input. It's also important to remember that Key Buys are not withheld, they're awarded. The reasons are more comprehensive than there being "no knocks" against a product. Back when the magazine instituted the Key Buy concept (before I was writing for it) I remember there being a detailed description of what it takes for something to get one. I'll try and dig that up... it would be informative.

That said, I think it came out in the review that I found the KME to be a great-sounding axe and an excellent value.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I especially appreciate reviews that point out the limits of a device as well as the high points. I think Steve did a good job of pointing out limitations without being to critical. Sometimes people forget that articles are written for readers, not editors or advertisers. This article felt like it was written the potential user.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Dan South:

Good job, Professor!

Not bad -at all- for a Philosophy professor, right?

Steve RULZ !

Good reviewer and a great person.

:thu:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Archived