Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your 1st Synth?

Jeebus

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first synth was an Arp 2600 in 1972. I have a really cool father who realized that one way or another, I was going to play in a band, so he got me that, a Hammond C3 with Leslie, and a (get this!) Shure Vocalmaster PA system. I had to give him half my gig money back to pay it all off, but man, it was worth it, because after I had paid him back, he gave the money BACK to me to go buy a car.

All this from a man that loathes rock music.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

my first love korg poly 800 followed really shortly by Korg DS 8 i[ '87 or 88 i don't remember] loved this synth and I still have it.than d50 jv 1080 jv 1000,korg I 3,yamaha cs 2x etc etc.......and last year I stoped buying synths now I use soft synths. :bor:

First synth?

Yamaha DX-27.

Yes I still have it. I never get rid of anything. I'm awful like that -ask my wife...

Pros- the sound was cool.

You could edit sounds on the fly, and it had an Edit/compare button too!

I should mention that some people prefer the DX27 OVER the DX7 because it had grittier sounds that you couldn't get on a 6-op synth.

Also, though the keyboard was not velocity sensitive, the synth engine was. So you can still get that sensitivity via MIDI.

Cons- No keyboard split.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

First synth: Mini-Moog serial # 4681 purchased in the 70's for $795.

Pros: Great bottom, hinged control panel, powerful

Cons: tuning stability, RF interference

I still have it. It has served me well over the years. :cool: nitecrawler

"Time to head down that old Colorado highway pardner."

You all are making me sentimental. As a teenager, I remember lusting after a JX-3P in a store called "Strings and Things" in Albuq, NM (now called Grandma's Music and Sound) back in 82-83, and bumming when my folks decided to buy a family organ instead.

Well, I eventually got my first synth (while a poor college student and having frequently borrowed a friend's Moog Opus), and it was a Casio CZ-1000, paid for with an insurance pay-off check from a hotel whose shoddy construction work had fallen on my parked car in Austin, Texas. Played several gigs with that (I mostly sang--and 80's crapola at that, so I wasn't overtaxing it), until I upgraded to an Ensoniq SQ1 in '92 and a Roland JP-8080 in '99.

Bought a CZ-5000 off of Ebay in 2000 and it's STILL a key sound in my sequencing and composition.

I'm pondering an Alesis Andromeda, and a I bet the Casio still gets a place on my keyboard stand... you never forget your first.

I've never contributed to this forum, but...

Very early eighties, a Casio MT something, a cheap keyboard with ADSR and a simple filter. Followed by a Roland SH-09 monosynth and a Minimoog (which I still have and will take with me to my grave). The first polysynth was a Poly 800. The Oberheims came later and my life just became a lot better! I also had a Juno 106 and a JX8P that I regret selling.

I still have the Moog and a Oberheim Matrix 1000. As well as a DW8000 (love that thing), Wavestation (my favorite digital synth ever), QS6, TX81Z, Sequential Pro One and a couple of Akai samplers.

andre t

Producer/Engineer

My very first one that I bought was the Roland SH-7. It did the trick for monophonic type sounds, as well as helping me trigger sounds from my hammond through it.

Followed by the Korg Poly6, then the Oberheim OB-8(still have), Yamaha DX7(still have), and now the Kurzweill K2500XS.

Erlic

Originally posted by joegerardi:

My first synth was an Arp 2600 in 1972. I have a really cool father who realized that one way or another, I was going to play in a band, so he got me that, a Hammond C3 with Leslie, and a (get this!) Shure Vocalmaster PA system. I had to give him half my gig money back to pay it all off, but man, it was worth it, because after I had paid him back, he gave the money BACK to me to go buy a car.

All this from a man that loathes rock music.

..Joe

I'm jeleous! My father loathed rock music too & loathed the bands I was in as well. He loathed it so much he never bought me a damn thing.

Now, however, he thinks I do some pretty cool stuff. Go figure! :freak:

"I'm not a monkey anymore..."

My 1st synth was a Cat by Octave. I sold it about 6 months later. I can't say I miss the one (or 2-note) synths because they were nearly worthless by themselves. It wasn't until I picked up a Poly 800 that my interest in playing was once again rekindled. The Poly 800's capabilities inspired me to purchase a Roland JX-8P which I made many great recordings with and still own today. While I now have many newer and far more marvelous sounding keyboards, the Roland JX-8P will always be a favorite among several favorites.

I favor using my Yamaha SY77 for a great deal of synth type sounds and my Roland RD700 for its fantastic piano reproduction. I love my Roland RD700!

Aeon, sorry to hear your JX-8P was stolen. You were definitely onto a great Roland keyboard.

Ksoper, looks like you and I were one of the few that owned a Cat. Like you, I really wanted a Mini-moog D but could never afford one in those days. When I hear the horror stories about the Moogs drifting out of tune, I'm glad I didn't shell out $1,500 to $2,000 to actually purchase one.

My 1st synth, circa 1983, was a Roland Juno1, followed closely by a Yamaha PF15, DX7, DX27, Roland TR505 and Yamaha RX7 and a Korg Poly 800 (all in about 2 years. Hey, I was young, in the Marines overseas, and had no bills. Ahh, those were the days).

Pros, Most of it was the newest at the time, maybe not the greatest, but I was current (top 40-s band)

Cons - As we've all seen - the programming on the DX7 was a NIGHTMARE, but I got pretty decent at it.

What do I still have, none of it. I've got a Korg O1w/pro, K2000 w/ all the toys, and yesterday picked up an Alesis QS7.1, QSR, and Wavestation SR.

• 2 weeks later...

My first synth was a Moog (Realistic) MG-1 that I begged my dad to buy me brand new from Radio Shack back in 1980 or so. It was almost $500 then, which was a heck of a lot of money at the time! I wanted to sound like Jan Hammer or Keith Emerson, but I was a little disappointed when I got it home and played it. Anyway, I picked up a Polymoog (keyboard version) the following year, and sold them both a little later (for next to nothing) after the DX7 / digital synth craze hit.

I recently picked up another MG-1 locally for $70...in great shape! I'll probably hang on to this one for awhile for nostalgia's sake!

"You are only as strong as that in which you put your faith"

-Anonymous

My first big "installment loan" was to get my first synth: the OBERHEIM OB-X.

Pro's: The sound...What BALLS! DYNAMITE unison and x-mod lead sounds...I put in a JL Cooper MIDI kit and a Korg RK-100 strap-on, and became a ROCK STAR! THICK pad sounds. And KNOBS to play with, too.

Con's: HEAVY! Especially with the Anvil case. And I got leery of jostling the components wile taking it on the road.

I still have it...I'm pulling it out of storage to use in the old "project studio."

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Originally posted by Ben Hall:

First ever keyboard/musical device: Casio VL-1

Then got my first ever "proper" (polyphonic) keyboard: Yamaha MK100 (pretty cool for its time)

Then first "proper" synth: Casio CZ-101

Then first analog synth: Moog Prodigy.

My first "real real proper posh" synth: Korg Wavestation.

I still have them all.

At first, I thought you were me! Then I realized I never had a moog :( .

My first: Casio VL-1 (Still have it to this day!)

1st 'real' electric keyboard: Honer Pianet (the old version) (It blew up!)

Then: Yamaha CP-10 (Still have it!)

1st 'real' synth: Casio CZ-101 (Still have it and use it!)

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Archived