Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT-The Ice Age

I guess you guys saw on the news about the bad weather in N.C. and The East Coast. Man this sucks. We got 0 snow in Charlotte and the roads were never bad but we got about a half inch of ice on the trees, which is when the weight starts breaking things. There's limbs, and trees, and power lines down everywhere. It's a mess. I lost power from 9:00 a.m. yesterday till 4 this morning. Didn't even notice I was gone did you? This was bad but nothing compared to Hugo back in '88. The devastation from that was mind boggling. There were huge Oaks, Hickorys and other trees down on practically every street in town, laying on houses, cars, just everywhere, and some roads had every telephone pole snapped in two. That's the most massive destruction I've ever witnessed first hand. Anyway, I've got three trees that have big limbs broken so I'll be doing some major cleanup work tommorrow.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All Iced over, eh? Sorry to hear that, Wewus. Meanwhile, here in the west, we are having a notable lack of precipitation, including snow in the mountains. Many ski areas are still not opened, and it doesn't bode well for next year's water supply. It's a problem, though not as impressive as two-inch thick ice coatings on everything.
Rubber Lizard Studio

[quote] [b] bah...there are dogs, oversized hamster wheels, and capacitors/storage systems that are large enough to run a PC to say everything is groovy, ice and snow notwithstanding [Big Grin][/b] [/quote]That's right Wewus, just because you have no power and are buried in ice and tree limbs THAT IS NO EXCUSE for not posting to let us know how you are. We were worried! On a different note, we've got about 6" of snow on the ground in Cheeseland and daily highs are averaging 9F to 20F, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to solid ice. Sorry you have to go through this, bud. :( Now is a time to find you some little cutie to snuggle up with and stay warm :D Oh, and take a look at your private messages, dammit!

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote] [b](Still looking for the perfect Avator)[/b] [/quote]Rubber Lizard: A nice pic of Mt. McLaughlin or Mt. Ashland would be a good avatar for now. I miss home :(

WWND?

wow, peeps from a-town,how's it going ? i'm living in eugene right now but will be in medford this weekend.it has been real dry around here,will catch up though midimonk
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

[quote] [b]wow, peeps from a-town,how's it going ? i'm living in eugene right now but will be in medford this weekend.it has been real dry around here,will catch up though[/b] [/quote]I actually grew up in (gasp) Rogue River. Well, to be technical, WIMER...... But you know, Medford, Ashland, Grants Pass, Rogue River, etc etc etc...it's all the same valley. :oP I sure wish we had Dutch Bros and some real mexican/chinese/japanese/thai/organic/hippie food out here in Wisconsin, dammit. :mad:

WWND?

phaeton, ironic, i nearly moved out to madison about 4yrs ago,its a small world after all.yeah i hate to bum ya out i'm going to get some dutch bros soon.the job markets real bad especially in the southern part of oregon,i'm moving out to melbourne,fl in the next few weeks. midimonk
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

We had an ice storm of that magnitude here in KC last February. Been through several rolickingly "good" ice storms. I'd prefer snow to ice. You guys get that cold air damming on the east side of the Appalachians (I know, we all do cold air "damning"...but this is different)...and that makes you all a prime area for ice storms.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Mr. dirrty... Yes indeed... the faltering job market is why i came out here. 4 years ago i came out to the Chicagoland area for tech jobs. I don't want to say it is a "mistake", but i got homesick and went back to The Valley about 2 years ago. I starved and suffered for about a year and decided it just wouldn't work out, sadly. I probably should have looked at Portland first before Illinois (i just so happened to land a kickass job in Lake Geneva, WI so i ended up here). I'm guessing there are some jobs up in P-town. I figure in about 2 more years i'll take a try at Portland. I don't like being this far away from my family, and i *especially* hate the weather out here. I've been to madison and milwaukee a few times. Madison *almost* reminds me a little bit of Ashland... old college town and all, just much fewer `hippie' types. I wish you luck in FL. I've never been to florida but i hear alright stuff about it. The stories of hurricanes and mosquitos kinda deter me, though.

WWND?

Archived