Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POLL: Are things getting better, or are they getting worse?

Well, Henry, if we're comparing ourselves to your grandfather, it seems that we ALL fall a bit short of the mark. He sounds like he was an immensely intelligent man. No matter what era you are talking about, most individuals would not meet the standard set by your grandfather.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im in an atypically blah mood for some reaon. So Ill vote another time. (if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all) However, This thread made me think of the guitar tone on "Getting Better" on Sgt Peppers. What a great sound. Me thinks there was some heavy compression going on. Just love it.- Thanks George (and George).

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

I thought I'd sneak this in..... I agree with Henry and offer this solution - Home School (flak jacket on) I really think the public schools are doing a terrible job educating the children of this country. So that this post is still OT, I still think it's getting better because the home school movement is returning to levels seen a long time ago. Like maybe when Henry's dad was growing up (I may be assuming way too much here - you know assume makes an ass out of u & me), but the home school movement does a much better job of motivating and encouraging REAL learning, not just what the Board of Education considers appropriate. Very interesting topic, keep it up people!
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Yes, Randy! To quote myself from above: [b]"Now, if you want to discuss the adverse societal effects of the introduction of public education, which coincided with the advent of the industrial revolution, then I'm all ears."[/b] Well, I'm all ears. ;)

As I understand it the numbers aren't up with homeschooling either, or at least not as much as I had been led to believe. But however this is more the right action than public school. This is the grand experiment for our family. My boys, 10 and 12, have only gone to private school. This year is their first exposure to public education. Their previous private school closed. So we're keeping an close eye on and are helping clarify where we can. What a mess.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Well, my experience Henry is that my children are thriving in the home school enviroment. I am fortunate to have a wife who's a Mills graduate and can handle the academic stuff with ease (an English major and a art minor). They are using the Abeka curriculum from Florida. I get to do the fun stuff, music and physical education. I run them around the tennis court and let my son beat me at golf :eek: . They are both becoming musicians. They are learning theory and scales but I am not putting enough emphasis on the reading (my bad). But they both enjoy everything they do. Both are writing books and learning Spanish and jamming with their Mom and Dad. I couldn't be more pleased. As I said before, it's all good. But it could be better.....
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Things are staying the same. They've been the same for a good long while. Because time is suposed to bring ptogress, though, you could say that things are getting further and further from where they should be, so things are getting worse. but what exactly are things?
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by Saltown: [b]Is it true that [i]the more things change the more they stay the same[/i]?[/b][/quote]Thats what they say. But I can't do the poll because I don't know what things you are talking about. For me, things always seem to be getting better.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Jotown - Things are going remarkably well for me too. Better than they've ever been, for me personally. But one thing I've noticed: nothing remains in stasis by itself. There is this thing called entropy; the natural downward spiral. Even a rock degardes with time. It takes some effort to maintain as a static energy particle. Without some effort a being falls apart quickly; becomes a bum. It takes no effort and no responsibility. I think in past civilizations life was much harsher. Lying around all day really meant no food. Plus you might be lying around in feces. Now you can lie around with a TV remote or a computer terminal plugged ito the internet. 200 years ago it took considerable effort to make something of yourself and change conditions in your life, hence education meant something. Knowledge was truly power and quite valuable. Now you're a nerd. We've reverted to brawn and sexual physicality rather intellectual prowess as things to be valued in our society. The more things change the more things change. But they appear to be the same because people keep embuing life with the same problems, over and over again. But denser we are. My un-pessimistic two cents.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I hear you Henry, and I agree with just about everything you have posted on this thread. I especially dug the story about your family. I was just trying to clarify the question. In general. If you ask people who say things are getting better in their life why that is so, it is almost always because they are doing the things that keep something from falling apart. Maintenance and improvement.

Things are getting worse....... 1. Gas prices keep going up! 2. Everything is made in China! 3. Half of my wages go to the Government! 4. Still can't get what I ask for at Wendy's! 5. I work for G.M. and can't afford the trucks that are built! 6. No one listens to you, they just stare like a cow watching a train going by! 7. Everyone want's you to take a pay cut for the good of the company! 8. We can keep a Ding Dong on the shelf for over a year now! 9. Went to a rental car company and they said you have to be "cash approved" to give them real money over the counter to rent a car! 10. It takes more people to do a job now days! 11. People are cheating each other more now than before! 12. Both parents need to work to pay for the babbysitter! 13. Can't afford to go to school, but can afford to sit around and do nothing. 14. There will be no more middle class, either upper class or no class at all. 15. When you buy something nowdays to get it cheap it needs to be assembled. 16. Chances of getting a raise is slim! 17. Chances in getting Aids is great! 18. It is harder to stay married! 19. It's easier to sleep with someone! 20. S**t always happens at the worst time! 21. Priests are blemished in the Catholic Church! 22. Kids sue their parents! 23. If you screw up they can clone your A**. 24. Lawyers arn't smart, people are just dumb! 25. Everyone asks for help but nobody gives any! Just a few reasons I feel that life is getting worse. Jazzman :cool:

things are getting worse, because people are becoming more afraid. the less fear the better life is, the more fear the worse life becomes. There has never been more fear in the world as a whole than now. this is a very unique time, generally you have those that oppress and those that are oppressed but more so than any other time before those that are oppressed are fighting back and are striking fear in those that oppress. Evil people are taking advantage of these situations, with technology that can bring the result of this combination of fear and evil to fruition like never before. This is truly a sad time and one that we won't be able to resist being defined by in the future.

[quote]Originally posted by Jazzman: [b]Things are getting worse....... 1. Gas prices keep going up![/b][/quote]That's called inflation. It's been around for a while. [b] [quote] 2. Everything is made in China! [/b][/quote]And has been for years, because YOU buy it. [quote][b] 3. Half of my wages go to the Government![/b][/quote]That's quite an exaggeration. [quote][b] 4. Still can't get what I ask for at Wendy's![/b][/quote]You shouldn't be eating at Wendy's. [quote][b] 5. I work for G.M. and can't afford the trucks that are built![/b][/quote]You should get a different job. [quote][b] 6. No one listens to you, they just stare like a cow watching a train going by![/b][/quote]I'm sorry, what were you saying? [quote][b] 7. Everyone want's you to take a pay cut for the good of the company![/b][/quote]And if you're stupid enough to take a pay cut, then they were pretty smart to request it of you. It's called capitalism, and although it is ugly, it has been around for quite a long time. [quote][b] 8. We can keep a Ding Dong on the shelf for over a year now![/b][/quote]Why are you so concerned with Ding Dongs? [quote][b] 9. Went to a rental car company and they said you have to be "cash approved" to give them real money over the counter to rent a car![/b][/quote]I'm sure this has to do with deposit and theft. If you paid with a credit card, they would automatically have a deposit. [quote][b] 10. It takes more people to do a job now days![/b][/quote]I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but I'm pretty sure it's not true. [quote][b] 11. People are cheating each other more now than before![/b][/quote]A quite meaningless statement. There have always been assholes out there doing their asshole thing. [quote][b] 12. Both parents need to work to pay for the babbysitter![/b][/quote]No they don't. One of them should stay home, so they don't need a friggin' babysitter. [quote][b] 13. Can't afford to go to school, but can afford to sit around and do nothing.[/b][/quote]Another meaningless... hell, that isn't even a statement. [quote][b] 14. There will be no more middle class, either upper class or no class at all.[/b][/quote]Are you drunk? [quote][b] 15. When you buy something nowdays to get it cheap it needs to be assembled.[/b][/quote]Shopping at Ikea, again, huh? [quote][b] 16. Chances of getting a raise is slim![/b][/quote]Especially if you work for a US auto maker. Again, you need to get a better job. [quote][b] 17. Chances in getting Aids is great![/b][/quote]Only if you're an idiot. Or drunk. [quote][b] 18. It is harder to stay married![/b][/quote]Only if you're not committed and not in love. [quote][b] 19. It's easier to sleep with someone![/b][/quote]You [i]are[/i] drunk, aren't you? [quote][b] 20. S**t always happens at the worst time![/b][/quote]Always has. This is not a sign of the times, it's just the nature of shit. [quote][b] 21. Priests are blemished in the Catholic Church![/b][/quote]The Catholic church has always been trouble. [quote][b] 22. Kids sue their parents![/b][/quote]Only the shitty parents and the shitty kids. [quote][b] 23. If you screw up they can clone your A**.[/b][/quote]I don't know about yours, but my unique ass is unclonable. [quote][b] 24. Lawyers arn't smart, people are just dumb![/b][/quote]You kin say dat agin. Lawyers ARN'T smart. [quote][b] 25. Everyone asks for help but nobody gives any![/b][/quote]Pure rhetorical garbage, like the rest of this post. This forum is a perfect example of people giving help, even giving it to complete strangers most of the time. [quote][b] Just a few reasons I feel that life is getting worse.[/b][/quote]I feel sorry for you, Jazzman, if that's really how you feel. Perhaps you were just in a bad mood when you posted this. I hope so, for your sake. Quite frankly, one of the reasons the world isn't a better place is because of attitudes like the one above. Really, what's the point of living, if you feel that things are just getting worse and worse? :confused:

Mr Bunny-man wrote to Jazzman: [quote] Really, what's the point of living, if you feel that things are just getting worse and worse? [/quote]Our basic thrust is to live. I'm not jazzman but I certainly never said there wasn't a solution, or at least a personal solution to the fact that society is getting worse. I am personally getting better. Society as a whole is drowning in it's own phlegm. I think Nawledge s right as well. The fear factor is quite high and climbing. Safety is an ever present concern. There used to be a tired but true saying way back in the day: [b]If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.[/b] The first step is having the ability to observe that there [i]IS[/i] a problem. The next might be tallying and judging how ones personal actions or [i]INACTIONS[/i] effect the current crop of situations. The next, perhaps, is to figure out a way to change ones own actions/inactions. Where ones interaction with others, ones observation of self with others, other peoples interactions with other people and where ones responsibility rises to the point of action in order [i]TO HELP[/i], then we have the beginnings of a society worth being a society. But first one has to know this place is shit. If one knows how things should be ideally, put it there, keep it there and hold that ideal there. The overridding majority of folk are desperate and apathetic. So many have been run down through attrition they don't care any more. Numbness is rampant. Numbness is societies condition. Through drugs, alcohol or just plain being numb. You can't fix something when you don't know it's broke.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Thanks, Sal. :freak: :confused: :D ;) It's the frustration of personal interactions like this thread that lead me to write such anti-social filth. It's hard enough keeping your head above water, but when everyone else around you is constantly complaining about how terrible things are, well, it leads me to compose horrible, obnoxious, cathartic songs like the one Sal referenced above. That there is a certain irony here, I'll be the first to admit. If, after listening to my song, your ears are ringing with dissonance and you feel like punching a hole in a wall, well... for that, I apologize. Catharsis is seldom pretty. :D

Henry Robinett wrote: [quote]But first one has to know this place is shit. If one knows how things should be ideally, put it there, keep it there and hold that ideal there. The overridding majority of folk are desperate and apathetic. So many have been run down through attrition they don't care any more. Numbness is rampant. Numbness is societies condition. Through drugs, alcohol or just plain being numb. You can't fix something when you don't know it's broke.[/quote]There is no doubt that there is alot of shit going on, and much to be concerned about in this world. On the other hand; I like to think that those of us, like yourself, who see what is really going on, are the ones who need to spread the light in this world. What we focus on expands. If we focus on the shit, we will get more shit. If we try to be the light, and help show the way, we turn on more lights, and the light expands. I read alot, I watch the news, I know what is going on in the world, but as Nawledge wrote,the biggest enemy of all is [b]Fear.[/b] I view my role as an artist to be to try wherever I can, to alleviate that fear. To spread the light. To me, being an artist is a very powerful position, and brings with it a certain responsibility. We have the power to amplify the fear, or amplify the light. The power of what we do is real. Some reading this may think that it is a Polyanna-ish view. But I believe in the power of music, and the power of intention. It is the only weapon we have. I choose to cast my gaze, and my power away from the fear, and towards the light. Peace.

Bunny, I think your tune says it all. I think it hits the nail on the head about where so many of societies emotional outlook is right now. I mean LOOK at the world. Any time you have fashion magazines like Vogue spending high dollar to find 14 year old anorexic models who look like they're junkies, I mean what is that about? What ever would make someone think that's cool? You have a society force fed psychiatric medication like ritain, prozaic and the like, because . . because they can't COPE? You have the biggest selling music stars making music about killing people, bitches and Hos. You have our present administration itching, itching, itching for war. You have children going into their schools and trying to take everyone out with as many weapons as they can grab. You have whole cities freaking out calling the cops on innocent people. What makes you think any of this is normal or OK? This place is fucked and it's gonna get more fucked unless we change the condition of this society now. And although I'm with you Jotown 100% about art and it's value and importance to society, it's going to have to take a lot more than a couple of great songs to turn this boat around. It's a little too late for that now. Maybe the 60s, but not now. I don't mean to be dramtic and all doom and gloom. I don't think the end of the world is at hand or anything like that. It just feels like we're on the Titanic and everyone's in their own little cubicles drinking beer and masterbating to Playboy. Oblivious.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

[quote]Originally posted by henryrobinett: [b]It just feels like we're on the Titanic and everyone's in their own little cubicles drinking beer and masterbating to Playboy. Oblivious.[/b][/quote]Yeah! That phrase is just brilliant, Henry. Seriously, that would make great lyrics. Mind if I borrow that? :D

Bunny, [quote] 3. Half of my wages go to the Government! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- That's quite an exaggeration. [/quote]No it's not. HALF of my income goes to the gov.. This is NOT an exaggeration.

[quote]Originally posted by henryrobinett: [b]Technology is getting better. Music's getting worse. Technology is getting better. People are getting stupider.[/b][/quote]hey man stupid people are fun you can like say stuff to them and they don't get it and you laugh at them and they still don't understand

Archived