Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POLL: Are things getting better, or are they getting worse?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll say it's getting better. Just say it even if you don't believe it... Ya know, what you say is what will be. Or, as me dear mum says, 'the devil works on your tongue then he works on your actions.'
In two days, it won't matter.

Ah, Henry you sure cut to the quick! :D I used to have a very pessimistic outlook on life, until my wife showed me how to think differently. Now, I choose to look on the bright side, and not dwell on the dark. It's all good. If people are getting stupider(is that a word?), I think that means we are getting smarter, we know the difference. If music is getting worse, my taste in music is improving (but I still like most of the stuff I like growing up :confused: Take it all with a grain of salt. Live and let live. To each his own. C'est la vie (sp?) Que sera, sera Oops, end of cliches and rant.....
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Oh no I'm not pessimistic at all. I just know that those folks who had a classical education a hundred and more years ago really did have an education that puts a great education by todays standard to shame. What we have is more people who can read, which is great, but of those people considered educated, well the standards just aren't the same. You'd be able to speak several languages, play several instruments, have read many of the great tomes; had a fundamental grasp of higher mathematics and understood art and the humanities. 100 years ago and longer those people who could play music generally could really play music and most could read it as well. Those people who could write music could actually WRITE music. By comparison I think we're pretty f****** piss poor, but I really don't think I'm being pessimistic. It's just the road society has chosen and I applaud much of it. The common man road where everyone deserves everything. I just wish we could keep some standards too.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry, if you travelled back in time to the era of which you speak, I think you'd find that only a small segment of the population, the rich and elite, actually had that kind of classical education. I'd guess that the vast majority of people were not even educated at all. Compare that with today, when most children in our country [i]are[/i] educated, albeit to a much lesser degree.

um DBunny...maybe he was talking about you...nah, I know you can read better than that...go back and read Henry's post again. :) He said basically the same thing...yes there were less people with an education but the [b]standards[/b] of education were higher. Just an example...when the unabridged version of "The Last of the Mohicans" was first published it was on the bestseller list for months. Today most high school graduates can't even read the unabridged version of that book. The most interesting part of that to me is the fact that people 150 years ago spent about 6 months total learning to read, math, history, etc. Today people spend 8+ years of their lives in school and graduate DUMB. Standards have changed...I agree with Henry.

I'm heavily in debt, paying $2000 a month for care for my grandmother, and now I find out she may have to have a foot amputated. I'd say it's getting worse!!!! I'm keeping my chin up though :thu:

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Um... yeah, Steve, I read Henry's post, and I even COMPREHENDED it. ;) My point is that we're not necessarily better off if only 1% of the population is really well educated. I would definitely prefer 75% be somewhat educated. Now, if you want to discuss the adverse societal effects of the introduction of public education, which coincided with the advent of the industrial revolution, then I'm all ears. Otherwise, back off, Jack! :) Albeit. :D

Stephen, Henry interesting tid bit: The average level of education in this country until the 1930s was eighth grade. Not college or even high school. The "Classical" education that you are talking about was only available to the very smallest segment of the population. We now have a much higher literacy and educational level in this country than we did in the early part of the last century. I would argue that the biggest problem facing people today is informational overload not undereducation. The average person in 1920 could probably recite the capitals of all of the states of the union but I doubt that they could have (this is on the whole mind you) faired well on something as complicated as the SATs or the CATs or been able to figure out how to program basic HTML and use the internet as most young people today can. They were undereducated. Dramatically by today’s standards. But times were simpler and they faired just fine. I think that education is a resource that is accessed by the public on various scales as the world and national stages require it. We fund schools and science when there is a space race. Politicians get behind education as they did in the 30s to win votes from those who want the promise of America to shine brightly for their children and we need to compete on the world stage as we moved from an agricultural society to an industrial one. Now we have computers in every school save the poorest in an effort to create opportunities for our children. Things are about as they always have been or better in some ways. As Andy Rooney once said: "Seems to me that the world has been going to hell in a hand basket for quite some time but it has never really gotten there." - DJDM

Mr Bunny. Well let's see. My grandfather, a son to slaves, had a better education than anyone else in my family. We all went to college, but he was brilliant. He loved reading Greek tragedies. He read Latin. Loved Plato and Aristotle. Wrote two books, both of which were published. Was a lawyer. This was as a black man before the turn of the last century. My family's really old. He may have been an exception but not THAT unusual. Many people were educated. I've been reading some books about blacks in the US military from the revolution to present day. Many black folks were quite educated. Reading some of their writing can be astounding. Most of these are from people denied education. Jump back 150 years and look at handwriting, if you can. It's like calligraphy. No one writes like that any more and no one seems to know how they did, but of those who could write most everyone wrote like this. It was far more than 1% who were educated. I think what has fucked us up are the psychologists who said, "You must not be hard on Johnny. You might hurt his feelings for life if you tell him he's doing something wrong." Well hell, if Johnny can't do something tell him he can't do it and demand he learn how. We're helping create a bunch of lame ass, do nothing, know nothing imbeciles. But I agree. Democracy is about the lowest common denominator. I believe in everyone getting an education, especially everyone who wants one. But our sense of "education" wouldn't be defined as education 200 years ago. What would Thomas Jefferson think?

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Archived